1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rebalance for competetive ITS - Combat 3.1

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by Teslarod, Jul 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Teslarod

Teslarod when in doubt, Yeet

While I like the current ruleset overall, there are a few specific things I am not happy about.

We most likely won't see an overhaul of the general rules for years to come. So I remembered how the community got together and came up with COMBAT for WHFB as well as ETC rules to improve balancing and viability in 40k.

Fortunately Infinity lacks outright broken deathstars with make believe pointcosts and rerollable 2+ saves.
    So this is mostly about quality of life improvements for everyone, buffs and the occasional nerf.
    I won't touch any loadouts, pointcosts or Rangebands.
    The goal is to keep using everything in Army6, Army Mobile, Maya or the PDFs.
    Something I can't change is the added layer of complexity. N3, Human Sphere is already quite a lot to learn, so I hope it will be possible for people to keep track of yet another layer o top.

Here's the Link to the Google Doc:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_mHWXq7NjoHMqyGbSzjIu7by9GS5uDf-6yUAJWmUsD4/edit?usp=drivesdk

I'd be grateful for any playtesting and feedback about the implemented changes.
    Which troops seem overly affected and which rules might need some extra attention to make them worth taking.

Thanks for reading.

2. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

Without commenting on the pros and cons of your suggested changes, by definition they can't be used for ITS events.

Flipswitch, chromedog and Teslarod like this.
  3. Teslarod

To clarify on that, the intended use is to build on ITS as in the rule document.
    Missions, extra rules etc.

How you'd go about organizing a tournament with Combat 3.1 after this is sufficiently tested is an entirely different problem.
    You'd probably use a 3rd party tool like T3 and simply don't report it as an ITS event to CB.
    For now that doesn't matter. Someone has to deem it worth using first.

4. Tom McTrouble

Tom McTrouble Well-Known Member

Some initial impressions:

- Why do you think monofilament should cause 3 wounds instead of kill? Is the intention to make it essentially Explosive Level 2 ammo?
    - I agree on adding lockpick to an AHD, but Brain Blast seems excessive. The AHD shouldn't have lethal options against other hackers IMO.
    - Can you elaborate on why you would switch Full-Auto 1 and 2? The -3 mod is almost always better than the +1 burst.
    - I like the proposed infiltration changes a lot.

5. Teslarod

Tweaking the survivability of TAGs was one of the bigger goals.
    Mono imho should imho not be able to remove 5Str from a TAG. It's basically "K1+T3" now. In comparison EXP hits cause 3 seperate ARM rolls, often at better odds than 60% to cause at least one wound. The goal here was to make undamaged TAGs not insta removable.

The short version is that KHDs are too good and too cheap for what they do, while AHDs are too expensive and too limited. Brainblast isn't optimal for ARO and Active Turn, but it gives you an Option worse than Carbonite that can actually kill something.

Having Full Auto as the Burst Bonus gates the Mod behind it. I simply wanted to unlock the MOD without extra Burst for Combi+LSG/Assaultpistol.

Extremely binary single dice rolls is something that should be a well calculated risk to take duribg the game - not something you base your gameplan on. Now Infiltration is better balanced risk/reward or a safe option for the higher levels (a botched Infiltration roll should still reveal you during deployment, that needs an edit).

6. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

Infiltration - so it would be impossible to deploy over the halfway line in missions with 8" Deployment Zones?

chromedog likes this.
  7. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

Like:
    - Infiltration rework
    - No option to Coup de Grace TAGs
    - Something done to an abomination of Combi+LSG or Combi+Assault Pistol
    - MSV3 (thought it's not pretty solution as it adds yet one more rule exception)
    - I very like how Isolation and Command Tokens interact each other
    - Nerf to Jammer :P

Regarding Light&Heavy Multi:
    - Remind me rangeband mods works with Marksmanship LX ? (so can a TAG use EXP mode to get M:LX and shoot someone on PanO'S BS15+6+3 ?)

8. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

I have a feeling that there are ITS tournaments which had a "custom made extras" (obviously those extras are invisible to OTM/ITS).

9. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

Main thing I don't like is the major Engineer nerf, especially the IMM2 thing.

Combi+LSG change feels inelegant.

Also I like removing the harsh penalty for failing infiltrating over the line but I don't think it needed the success nerfed as well. I would change it to still losing token state (as you mention was intended) and being deployed normally, with the same success.

edit: just to confirm the MMX on MULTI isn't meant to apply to ARO or Coord orders right?

10. Teslarod

Nope. As for explanation - currently it is a single dice roll during deployment that has a massive impact on the game. Either you fail and start out of Camo in your DZ or you pass a 40-50% chance to get a massive advantage. Either way is bad and has nothing to do with Skill.

You need a Total of 3 successful Resets and someone in BtB to do it to get rid of IMM-2. An Engineer still does it much, much better if that is what you're concerned about. Wasn't nerfed at all, there now just is a very Order intensive way to get out of IMM-2 without one.

The overlap in positive Rangebands spills over to the target as a negative MOD. That was a mechanical decision, the game calling the associated rule "Full Auto" had no impact.

Everything could still change. The reduced range for successful Infiltration was however deliberate. I'm convinced making it more reliable is a huge buff that needs a counterweight for both Inferior and Superior Infiltration. Regular Infiltration only has it for streamlining.

I didn't change that MMX can only be used in Active Turn and by a weapon with B or higher. Coordinated Orders work, but as at least B2 is required for MMS LX only the Spearhead could pull it off.

Current Isolation is mechanically close to killing a model. This is one of the changes I am less sure about. Outright cancelling it might be to far removed from how it currently works, but bogging down command lines and causing you to bleed Orders/Command Token instead of what we currently have is worth exploring

Yep Rangebands work as normal. If you're familiar with the numbers for MMSLX now the chance to win a FTF. I forgot to factor in that MultiHMGs gain EXP ammo. After running some numbers, only Rifles and Sniper Rifle variants should also gain MMS L2 when using LX. Thanks for making me look.
    Why MMS LX for Multi Weapons in the first place?
    Multi Rifles are overall inferior to their brethren with Viral, T2 or Plasma ammunition. Antimaterial mode being used for pretty much only AROs always felt a bit of a waste. MRs should be about versatility, advanced Rifles with a proper Firemode for long ranged Combat. They're still quite a bit worse than Snipers at the same range due to their B1 and lower Damage, however you now have a real option even at extreme range.
    MultiHMG troops are either TAGs (that I'm aiming to make a bit more attractive inch by inch) or can use a little versatility.

I only know about two, but yes there are.

eciu likes this.
  11. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

I'm pretty sure I've also heard about a few of such cases.

Teslarod likes this.
  12. Andre82

Andre82 Well-Known Member

I hate to be that guy but most of the rules changes being proposed don't seem needed or even kiss friendly. Also is panO really in need of msv3 smoke tricks?
    I am definitely not opposed to this in concept just not very sure of it.

Whyrocknodie and chromedog like this.
  13. Scooper396

Scooper396 Active Member

To be fair. this rebalance doesn't let them really exploit many smoke tricks, as is, the only way for PanO to launch their own Eclipse grenades is on the Guarda De Assaulto, which means you are spending 111 points (Guarda+Aquila) to shoot at a -3 mod against an enemy, and if said enemy is in a 4 man link, they get to shoot back with no modifier.

However, I do like this as a potential idea to make MSV 3 strong, I just don't think it is that strong inside the current PanO, as they have 1 eclipse launcher and no White Noise. I am more worried about it in Aleph or CA as white noise can turn the Asura/Charontid into fairly effective MSV hunters.. But Im probably over exaggerating the effect.

The balance problem I can see is that Msv3 now completely shuts down Makauls, as the eclipse they throw doesn't force a face to face with an Aquila/Asura/Charontid. But it might not be all that common in games (Eclipse is still great vs everything else afterall).

Other than the MSV3 change, I am curious about the Combi+Light Shotgun, are you intending for the Full Auto bonus to be on firing the combi or the shotgun or both?

Because I cant help but imagine that rule on Aragoto.. shotgun at +6 to hit and imposing a -6 mod to the enemy from Mimetism/Full Auto, whilst ignoring cover from the shotgun blast. potentially hitting many people.. And I think that may be too powerful on a 22pt model who can very easily get in the enemies faces.

Superfluid likes this.
  14. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

I don't think anything should ever see through eclipse they made it for a reason.

Whyrocknodie, Cothel and chromedog like this.
  15. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

When you say "Combi Rifle + Assault Pistol", do you mean just a model that has both? Because I don't believe that exists as an actual combined "+" weapon on any troop.

Teslarod likes this.
  16. Whyrocknodie

Whyrocknodie Well-Known Member

Sticking to the constraints of using Army builder and ITS rules, the only thing in the document I thought was needed is the improvement to a Defensive Hacking Device.

17. Teslarod

Interesting you are looking at PanO first. Honestly the change was mostly made for Asura and Charontid who have easier access to White Noise/Eclipse. Aquila primarily gets it so NCA isn't completely helpless against Eclipse Shenanigans with scarce access to forward troops with DTWs/Mines/Perimeter as well as no real CC capability. You're better off shooting people straight into the face without bringing a Guarda in Vanilla.
    The main reason for the change is that MSV3s are supposed to be an Upgrade over MSV2s. You pay about 13 points for that thing, more than double of a MSV2, and it does't do much extra besides ignoring Surprise Shot and automatic Discover. Personally I prefer Anathematic, Achilles and Swiss Guard over their MSV3 competition under close to all circumstances.

Makauls can stomach a slight trimming imho, I was aware it would affect them to some extent. Then again how many MSV3s do you see left out to fight Makauls in ARO? That usually gets you an acute case of Sukeul induced lead poisioning.

Combi + Assault Pistol/LSG all get the MOD in 0-8". Combirifles itself are already not a good deal. You either want to buy a better gun to kill stuff or something cheaper that also is better like a SMG/LSG/Assaultpistol + DTW/Panzerfaust/X-Visor/MSV-1 etc... or simply just a cheaper gun to save points. When you're already suffering through a Combi and then double dip on being expensive while only adding choice A1.2 to choice A1.1.

Nice catch, thanks. Yes, it's meant for models that have both like Rodoks, Bolts...that needs to be adjusted.

That's fine. Goal is to find something useful yet balanced for MSV3. If it completely throws off balance finding something else is a good idea.
    Orignially debated a bit if it should be a -3 or -6 MOD. Considering how capable MSV3s are anyway giving them the option with a -6 penalty seems good enough.

18. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

I'm not sure I agree that this is something that needs universal adjustment, but thanks for clarifying.

19. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

Msv3 is fine in how it works, it's just probably a liiiittle bit too expensive.

I had this thought about the Asura the other day, it probably costs 4-5pts more than it should, but Dakinis should probably be 1-2pts more sooooo

Abrilete likes this.
  20. Andre82

Andre82 Well-Known Member

I was not under the impression NCA was performing so poorly that it needed this weakness fixed.

See this is my big concern. It's always risky when you start twisting nobs, tuning dials, and patching faction weaknesses on a game like this.

Hecaton likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation