1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Bare hands" or similar unarmed CC attacks?

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by WiT?, May 3, 2018.

1. WiT?

WiT? Well-Known Member

I feel like I've read some place that all models can perform some sort of unarmed close combat attack. But when I looked for this rule, I could not see it? Wondering if this is a real rule or not? Cheers!

2. gamma ray

gamma ray Well-Known Member
    Warcor

It is indeed! I believe the damage for an unarmed attack is PH-2.

chromedog likes this.
  3. macfergusson

macfergusson Van Zant is my spirit animal.

4. WiT?

WiT? Well-Known Member

Edit: Reread the rule. "Troopers without CC weapons" - so anyone with a knife has to use it?

gamma ray likes this.
  5. macfergusson

"The term "Close Combat (CC) Weapon" covers all full-sized melee weapons (swords, sabers, axes, spears...) an Infinity soldier might carry. "

Usually it is considered that anyone can use Bare Handed if necessary, but why would you if you had another option? But if you want to read it strictly, if your only weapon in CC is a pistol or a knife, you can also use Bare Handed, because those are not true CC Weapons (full-sized).

chromedog and Ginrei like this.
  6. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

Scor Data Scan, Extreme Prejudice, or just target the body and intuitive attack/guided attack it ? (just to name a few)

inane.imp likes this.
  7. kinginyellow

kinginyellow Well-Known Member

The other reason is because a tag in looting and sabatoge.

Looting requires anti material ccw which a tags fist is but not its ap ccw or regular ccw that some have. This means the only weapon that tag can hit it with IS its fist.

8. macfergusson

Right, like I said, "If you had another option" ;)

9. Sabin76

Sabin76 Well-Known Member

It doesn't help that some people hyperbolize and say things like an "Overdron is completely defenseless in CC". While it may be true for all practical purposes, it can still CC attack and do damage.

Ginrei and Grimm like this.
  10. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

Raoul after you've already EM'd them. With NBW B, he's DAM12 Bare-handed vs DAM11 with a Pistol vs unable to do Wounds with a Crit (on 15+s) on DAM14.

@HellLois / @ijw can we confirm that everybody can in fact use Bare-handed?

11. Arkhos94

Arkhos94 Well-Known Member

Close Combat Weapons that use E/M2 Special Ammunition cause Normal damage in addition to the E/M effect (http://infinitythewiki.com/en/E/M2_Special_Ammunition) so :
    • 2 BTS roll + 1 ARM roll for each Raoul Spector hit (if no crit)
    • E/M effect (isolated, comm equipment disabled...) + 1 ARM roll for each Raoul Spector hit (if crit)
    So no need for barehanded attacks (or pistol attack). Only use will be to auto-damage when critting. Is it why you would like to use it ?

PS : is there anything that prevent natural born warrior bonus to boost pistol damages ?

meikyoushisui likes this.
  12. Cartographer

Cartographer Well-Known Member

Yeah, the http://infinitythewiki.com/en/CC_Special_Skills states that a "Damage MOD" is applied to the PH attribute, not the damage of the weapon.

chromedog likes this.
  13. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

It's 1 x 1/2 BTS + 1 ARM roll. Not 2 BTS rolls + 1 ARM. Derp. He has an EM2 CCW. Not just an EM CCW.

And yes, when you're critting on 15s and up a huge chunk of the wounds you do are the results of the crits, not your opponent failing an ARM save.* This is particularly true with high ARM opponent's (admittedly you should generally be BSGing them once you've IMM'd them.... but that's not always possible).

And yes, in CC Special skills "how to read CC charts":

* Raoul using NBW B hits 88% of the time; 28.5% of those are Crits. This means that with Barehands he'll wound 61.23% of the time. Whereas with the EM CCW he'll only wound 57.2% of the time. (Vs an Alg)

Ginrei likes this.
  14. McNamara

McNamara Merc Rep

Ok, I understand it now, after reading the rules of e/m2:
    "Critical hits in CC are always applied to the E/M2 effect"
    So with a normal E/M CCW you crit on ARM and BTS, but with EM2 only on BTS. That's annoying, but it's what it says. :/
    I guess they imagine EM2 CCWs to be some kind of taser, that is though on electrics but not good to smash a head with.

15. Alz

Alz Well-Known Member

Let me see if I understand what you're saying:

EM CCW - Crit causes EM effect AND autowound
    EM2 CCW - Crit causes EM2 effect only. No ARM roll and no autowound

If that is what you're saying I think you're wrong. The critical applying to the EM / EM2 means the Isolated / INM effect is automatic, but the enemy still has to roll ARM in the case of both weapons. In none of the cases does the enemy skip the ARM roll. In fact, the wording for how the critical applies is the same. In fact, EM2 weapon states that it works in the same way as EM, but with 2 BTS saves instead of one. What I think is the correct interpretation is:

Crit: Both weapons apply EM Effect. EM2 also applies a second (useless) BTS roll. And in both EM and EM/2 the enemy has to roll an ARM save.

Thing with EM / EM2 is that after the initial EM hit, crits become useless, that's why a knife or the mighty fist of doom become both interesting options. Changing 2 DMG for a 25% of instant wound seens a pretty fair trade to me.

16. McNamara

McNamara Merc Rep

Yeah sorry read the EM1 entry not to the end like EM2. It's the same. :/

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation