1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help making a table

Discussion in 'Scenery' started by Jawasa, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Jawasa

Jawasa Member

I'm new to infinty having just started about 2 moths ago. Having painted most of my army I have started to look at terrain. I lookign to create a table with a hong kong slum/ghost in shell/cyber punk feeling. I have bought tons of scatter from antenocities, holo ads from MAS and a garage, antenocities happy panda and kobe cow. My problem now is that i cant decided on what company i should get my buildings from. So i need suggestions because i keep thinking maybe there is something i have missed.

I'm based in Sweden so something i can get here in EU/UK is pref. My budget is around 500 euro in total for the table excluding gaming mat as a start. With scatter and the 3 small buidlngs i have spent about half of that. I will prob be using deep cut studios neo tokyo mat. I'll post some images to try and explain what i'm looking for.

[​IMG] .

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Cry of the Wind likes this.
  2. Cannon Fodder

Cannon Fodder Well-Known Member

I want to see who this turns out. I can't give suggestions on EU terrain (I'm in Canada). But I'm curious on how tall you intend on making it. We have some MicroArts Studio terrain that the LGS set up 3-4 stories tall and find its too tall. It makes it difficult to move models around with slowing the game down, it also makes checking LOS a pain. The terrain is solid blocks. You either go around the building or have to say where he is in the building. I'm not a fan of just saying he is on the 3rd floor next to the window. While MAS with the right paint job and scatter would give the right aesthetics, I think its gives a limited gameplay.

My preference would be to stick to 2 story buildings. It just makes for an easier game. My scratch build terrain has the house rule that you can move door to door for a long skill. It avoids the whole 'I'm supposed to be here' discussion. Perhaps have larger buildings but have them open able with interior scatter, it would let you have you crowded market feel without the vertical issues.

I was contemplating making a YuJing table at one point and was going to add a walled japanese park in the middle. I wanted to try Bushido and it would let my use some terrain between the 2 games. I never did pick up bushido since its hard to get models here, but it's a terrain option you may want to try. Its easy to find that style of terrain and can easily make for a small piece of the your larger table.

3. cory

cory Well-Known Member

I recently wanted to do the same thing - and as Cannon Fodder pointed out there is an issue of play versus aesthetic.

One option is to use a technique model railroaders use to se the tone for an area. Choose one board edge (not a player edge) and place your super tall buildings or even flats (one side of a building) along that and allow the lower terrain to represent more of a market area or some such.

4. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

From my experience, we rarely go above 3 playable levels of a building (ground floor, above-the-groung-floor and playable roof) here.
    Most players I've asked online claim it is about as high as they want it.

...okay, we sometimes stack one extra level, for funsies, but 2 extra levels have proven ot be too much. One, it eats too much volume, two, it eats too many Orders to move around such a tall building.

coleslaw and Icchan like this.
  5. Jawasa

Jawasa Member

For gaming use i wont make any super tall buildings. But i still want to have height so 3-4 levels plus a roof is my guess atm. Then there will be buildings with fewer levels and i want a market street. Elevators and walkways should make that a bit more friendly for gaming aswell. The company's i have found so far that have my interest is zen terrain, micro art studios and systema gaming. Warsenal also have some great stuff. But I would love more ideas.

I have played on a table with several 3 story high MAS buildings the modular ones and you were allowed to move inside them if you wanted didn't find it very hard to play on. I never moved a model on floor 2 and 3 only rooftop and ground floor but the different height levels did add to the game in a positive way imo.

@Cannon Fodder The idea with a market indoors is very good

6. Errhile

Well, given you'd need 6 cm+ internal space per floor to make most S2 models fit (and I'd rather go for 7 cm nowadays, with N3-era digital sculpts of paratroopers jumping onto tactical debris...), plus floor thickness, plus roof... a 3-level buiding is 20cm+ in that case, a 4-level is about 30cm.

And make no mistake - walkways make it more intersting, sure, but also more difficult to remove a floor and move the models inside the building.
    so, it is good, but don't overdo it.

7. BlindWillyCarroll

BlindWillyCarroll New Member

I built a couple 18"/45cm pieces for my table and recently threw out one of them. When they were on the table players really liked how they looked, and they added to the overall aesthetic, but they didn't add a lot to the play of the game. Generally, figures were moved around them, not over or through them. So, they sat on a shelf.
    Our group has come to the conclusion that Infinity is not generally a game that encourages/rewards a lot of vertical movement, so as others said, add those tall elements for flavor, line of sight blocking, or because they look cool, not because figures are going to move around on them!
    What some people have been playing around with the last year or so is the idea of adding height by adding levels to the table itself, connected with ramps or ladders. This does not make a player feel they are squandering orders, as there is almost always horizontal as well as vertical movement. It also runs against the prevailing terrain meta of the now ubiquitous mat, but that is a rant for another day!

jherazob likes this.
  8. Segis

Segis Well-Known Member

9. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Well-Known Member

I'm planning to make a table with some high buildings in the future. The lower levels schould be fully accessible as normal. I will make the higher levels removeable and not useable (no flat floor, no "sniper windows"). Therefore I'm trying to find a balance between normal buildings and high LOS blocker/ eyecatcher.

10. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

I've heard the idea of house-ruling that "using the elevators takes a single long order" or things like that, but haven't tested it

11. Errhile

We did.

But this in turn requires oyu to model elevators somehow. Can't say we really managed to do that.
    Also, elevator in two-level building is kinda overkill. Even in a three-level (and elevators, usually, don't reach the rooftop, right?) it is kinda hard.

Also, have multiple tall buildings on-table, and moving around becomes kinda awkward.

12. Cannon Fodder

Cannon Fodder Well-Known Member

My house rule for closed buildings is that you can do a long action to move from a door/hatch to another door/hatch as long as they are within your full move distance. On my table it's extremely rare you can't get from to another due the size of the building. But if you have larger building you can make the balconies in range and models need to go from one to another to reach the roof.

Alternatively you can make it a double action for longer distances. I personally don't like models in sealed buildings.

GingerGiant likes this.
  13. Jawasa

Jawasa Member

@BlindWillyCarroll that is true but having some high buildings give skills like super jump and climbing some more use.

I also agree with you that plattforms are cool and something id like to have on My table.

@Segis one of My favorite tables for looks. My scratch building is far from that lvl. :(

@Dragonclaw any premade buildings that you are looking at?

@Errhile @jherazob systema do come with elevators in the buildings.

To get back on topic Any1 got suggestions for manufacturers of nice buildings for the table? Not necesary with super tall ones.

14. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Well-Known Member

@Jawasa I've the Idea to design a train station in hardfoam. Later i will add some premade pices likely.

15. Jawasa

Jawasa Member

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation