1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternate Play System - TACOS mk.II

Discussion in 'News' started by taylor, Dec 2, 2017.

1. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Please do. I wish I could claim it was all me, but it really has been the constant playtesting of our local infinity community. I just organized the final product and channelled their talents appropriately.

I put the cards up for sale on printer studio. I didn't take a cut - to keep the price manageable. If you need the link, lemme know and I'll provide it. :grin:

Section9 and Alkasyn like this.
  2. Alkasyn

Alkasyn Well-Known Member

One more question - if I score a card I remove it from the pool by adding it to my pile?(i.e the opponent cannot score it and each mission can be scored once? ) We had problems marking how many points each one of us has.

3. Disko King

Disko King Well-Known Member

Yea, I am not sure does each player have his own stack of cards and drawn missions, or is there only 1 deck of cards for both players(meaning they have same missions), but considering then, how do you score cards by placing them in your pile? Would be easier just to note it when you claim it with dice/write it down.

4. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

There is only one deck per table. Once you score an objective, just put the card to the side. There is only 4 objectives out at a time, and you and your opponent are competing for the same objectives.

I'm gonna write up an example of play for you guys tonight, and I'll include some pictures. :)

Section9, Harlekin and Alkasyn like this.
  5. Alkasyn

Great, thanks! I'll be well prepped to tell my guys how to play the system at the tournament, got around 10 people already preregged :)

taylor likes this.
  6. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Right on! I'll do up the example of play tonight for you and try to write up a FAQ for you to make sure you guys are completely prepared. :grin:

Section9 and Alkasyn like this.
  7. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

@Alkasyn

So, here is the write up i promised you guys. Please keep in mind this isn't a real game - it is just a simulation i wrote up tonight to help guide you through a TACOS game. I only did set up and one round - it's getting late and this is a lot longer than anticipated. Please give it a read and let me know if anything is unclear - and if so, what I'll do for you next weekend is actually record a TACOS game between two players at our Game Night so you can watch it and see how it's done.

-------

TACOS Mk.II Example of Play

Roman and Taylor have sat down to play a 300 point game of Infinity using the TACOS objective system. Both player’s have their lists ready, with Roman controlling a crack team of Bakunin Operatives, and Taylor directing the vile consciousness of the Evolved Intelligence. Their lists are as follows:

Roman’s List.

[​IMG] Jurisdictional Command of Bakunin
    ──────────────────────────────────────────────────
    [​IMG]10
    [​IMG] KUSANAGI Lieutenant MULTI Rifle + Light Flamethrower, E/M Grenades / Pistol, Shock CCW. (+1 | 44)
    [​IMG] REVEREND CUSTODIER Hacker (Hacking Device Plus) Combi Rifle + Pitcher / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 34)
    [​IMG] REVEREND HEALER MULTI Rifle, Nanopulser / Pistol, EXP CCW. (0 | 37)
    [​IMG] MODERATOR Paramedic (MediKit) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (0 | 11)
    [​IMG] MODERATOR Hacker (Hacking Device) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (0.5 | 17)
    [​IMG] MODERATOR Combi Rifle + Pitcher / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (0.5 | 10)
    [​IMG] MODERATOR Combi Rifle + Pitcher / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (0.5 | 10)
    [​IMG] MODERATOR Spitfire / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (0.5 | 15)
    [​IMG] LIZARD MULTI HMG, Heavy Flamethrower / . (2 | 87)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] LIZARD PILOT Submachine Gun / Pistol, Knife. ()
    [​IMG] SIN-EATER HMG / Pistol, CCW. (2 | 33)
    6.5 SWC | 298 Points
    Open in Infinity Army

Taylor’s List.

[​IMG] Combined Army
    ──────────────────────────────────────────────────
    [​IMG]9
    [​IMG] CHARONTID Lieutenant Plasma Rifle, Sepsitor Plus + 1 TinBot A (Deflector L1) / Heavy Pistol, Knife. (0 | 78)
    [​IMG] ANATHEMATIC Hacker (EI Hacking Device) Plasma Rifle, Nanopulser / Pistol, Shock CCW. (0.5 | 88)
    [​IMG] UNIDRON (Forward Observer) Plasma Carbine / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (0 | 15)
    [​IMG] UNIDRON (Forward Observer) Plasma Carbine / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (0 | 15)
    [​IMG] MALIGNOS MULTI Sniper Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 42)
    [​IMG] MALIGNOS Hacker (EI Assault Hacking Device) Combi Rifle, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 41)
    [​IMG] R-DRONE Flash Pulse, Sniffer / Electric Pulse. (0 | 8)
    [​IMG] R-DRONE Flash Pulse, Sniffer / Electric Pulse. (0 | 8)
    [​IMG] ÍMETRON . (0 | 4)
    2.5 SWC | 299 Points
    Open in Infinity Army

Roll Off!

Roman and Taylor roll off to see who can claim initiative. Roman rolls a 13 and Taylor rolls a 5. Roman wins the roll and decides he has the drop on the EI, getting the drop on Taylor. He chooses Initiative. Taylor as the default has Deployment, chooses the side he wants and makes Roman deploy first.

Before Roman deploys, both players must place the four static objectives (Intelligence Operative, High-Value Target, Console and Crate). They MUST place them on the ground (so not on top of buildings or within buildings), and they cannot be in their own or their opponent’s deployment zone. In addition to this, each of these objectives have a Zone of Exclusion of 8” around them - so no model may be placed within 8” of them during deployment, nor can they be placed within 8” of one another. Since Roman controls Initiative, he has to place first. He chooses the Crate and places it in a place he feels holds a tactical advantage - outside of lines of sight, with only one way in against a dead end. Taylor places the Intelligence Operative on the other side of the board, close to the edge. Roman then places the High-Value Target close to the center of the table. Taylor, being the jerk that he is, takes the Console and places near the bottom of an ample sniper-perch, knowing that Roman loves his snipers.

With the objectives placed, Roman deploys his force, followed by Taylor deploying his own. The joke is on Taylor, as Roman opted to take a Sin-Eater with an HMG instead of a Sniper.

Turn One.

With the first turn, Roman shuffles the TACOS deck and draws four cards and lays them out on the side of the board. The cards drawn are “Brief Consolation”, “Pray and Spray”, “Dead Eye”, and “Social Butterfly”. Roman notes that “Dead Eye” and “Pray and Spray” can be scored by his opponent with an ARO (indicated on the card, under the value of that particular objective), so he knows he has to be particularly careful with his Reverend Healer and Sin-Eater (as Mimetism is a form of Camouflage).

Roman takes advantage of Taylor’s bold move of putting the console near his deployment, easily scoring “Brief Consolation” by moving his Moderator Paramedic into base contact with the Console and succeeding a WIP check as a short skill.

He knows scoring the “Social Butterfly” objective is his next best bet. He moves his Lizard within 6” of the High-Value Target, and holds his position using a high-wall as cover. He then spends the rest of his orders posturing his Haris team of Kusanagi, the Custodier and the Reverend Healer behind a building within 6” of the Intelligence Operative. As the turn ends, Roman has scored two of the objective cards. He takes them off the table and puts them into his Objective Pile on his side of the board.

It is now Taylor’s turn. Left out for Objectives are “Pray and Spray” and “Dead Eye”. Taylor knows that he doesn’t have a lot of template weapons at his disposal, at least not effective ones - where as Roman has a Lizard equipped with a Heavy Flamethrower. Deciding it is too risky to keep in play, he removes it (as a player can remove one objective in play at the start of their turn) and puts it at the bottom of the deck. WIth only “Dead Eye” in play, Taylor needs to refresh the Objective Pool to four cards. He draws three more and displays them on the table edge - pulling “Deal with the Devil”, “Hit It and Quit It”, and “Special Ops”, in addition to “Dead Eye”. Taylor also notes that “Special Ops” can be scored by Roman in the ARO.

Taylor immediately sees that “Deal with the Devil” isn’t worth it, as it is being stalwartly protected by Roman’s Lizard. Spending an order, he decides he’s going to get rid of that Sin Eater with his Charontid. It doesn’t take long to turn that filthy Bakunin into paste, giving Taylor his first Objective Card - “Dead Eye”. He smirks at Roman as he takes it from the edge of the board and puts it into his pile.

With that card being no longer a threat, he puts his Malignos into action. He focuses with his Malignos, sneaking quietly closer and closer to the Moderators, until he is within 16” of them. He maneuvers his Malignos into cover and uncloaks himself, executing a Surprise Shot on the unsuspecting Moderators. It is close, but they prove no match for the elusive Malignos and his much maligned camouflage - viciously tearing apart the paramedic, who wasn’t able to end his turn in cover. Roman has some choice words for his opponent, as he claims not only one objective, but two - as not only did he dispatch the Moderator with a weapon that did 13 damage, but he also did it using a Surprise Shot. Taylor picks up “Special Ops” and “Hit It and Quit It”, placing them into his Objective Pile.

Taylor only has three orders left. He knows he can’t get “Deal with the Devil” this turn, but wants to make sure Roman doesn’t get any bright ideas. He positions his Anathematics Hacker behind a wall, still as a token within 6” of the Intelligence Operative. If he moves his TAG closer to the objective, he’s going to have to risk getting possessed for his troubles. With that final move, Taylor ends his round, and the first turn.

Looking at the score, Roman has 2 Objectives scored and Taylor has 3 Objectives scored. On Roman’s Turn, he will have to refresh the Objective Pool to four cards (whether or not he wants to discard “Deal with the Devil” is up to him), and continue on with his turn as Taylor did during his second round. As TACOS games last for three turns, he will still have a lot of time to catch up. At the end of the game, both Taylor and Roman will count up their Objective Points (indicated on the top left hand of the card), and the player with the most points wins.
    -----------

So, that's the write up. Again, let me know if anything is unclear here and I'll try to clarify the best I can.

coleslaw, Section9, Harlekin and 4 others like this.
  8. Alkasyn

This answers all my questions, thanks! I'll let you know how the tournament went :)

Pierzasty and taylor like this.
  9. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Arise from the dead, ye thread, for the creator to be praised!

*ahem*

Sorry, felt some theatrics were in order for a 6-months-dead thread.

This is awesome, will have to use it in some games. Thanks!

Karmano, Xeurian, Abrilete and 3 others like this.
  10. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was planning on printing this and borrowing the lamination machine at work to make home-brew cards on the cheap (and then put them in card sleeves to limit the cutting effect of the plastic edges), but lo and behold I hadn't saved the page. Now it's re-found and I'll have to convince someone to test non-ITS mission in my group :)

taylor and Ginrei like this.
  11. Ginrei

Ginrei Well-Known Member

Yeah I think I'll try this out as well. But I'm going to have some fun and try to make a CA themed set of cards. Any recommendations where I can find plenty of CA/Infinity artwork?

taylor likes this.
  12. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

13. B1tSh1ft3r.GER

B1tSh1ft3r.GER New Member

Hello Taylor,
    this mission system looks pretty awesome, fast and easy :)
    Perhaps Im just blind, but I "just" found so far this thread about TACOS with the link to the mission cards (but those are great!).

You mentioned a FAQ, is there any download available? Or a summary document how to play?

Best
    Stefan

14. coleslaw

coleslaw Veteran

There is a play through example a few posts up

Xeurian likes this.
  15. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Yeah - thanks @coleslaw - the summary is up above.

16. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I see someone bough a couple decks of cards. PM me if you need some clarification on it. :D

Cartographer and Alkasyn like this.
  17. Stiopa

Stiopa Trust The Fuckhead

I've printed and cut the cards today to have an alternative for our group. Will provide some feedback after testing.

One note - I don't know if this came up before, but when printing two-sided the rules and glossary don't line up. One should be switched to the left side of the page.

18. Sletchman

Sletchman New Member

I realise this is from some time ago, but if you haven't made a decision I'd personally treat it like a tied face to face roll. No one gets it.

taylor likes this.
  19. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Hmmmm... good catch. Ill make the change when my computer is back up and running.

Stiopa likes this.
  20. nazroth

nazroth 'well known Nomad agitator'

This is awesome. If you ever start selling good quality decks - definitely PM me,

In the meantime I'm printing a deck and we're gonna start playing this instead of 'IT Sucks'.

FatherKnowsBest likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation