1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mo's Brush & Bricks

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by MoScotch, Jun 17, 2018.

1. MoScotch

MoScotch Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

I finally made it to the new forums and would like to show you some of the stuff I am currently working on. I have a really hard time finishing stuff and deciding on armies to play. So I have a variety of models flying around in different WIP stages. I love to do some converting from time to time as well.

Hope you like what you see. I am always happy for some feedback and hints on how to improve my skills!

Take care.
    Mo

aleph.jpg hsien.jpg zant.jpg

ukyozed, Xeurian, Harlekin and 15 others like this.
  2. Kahlain

Kahlain Greeble-Faust investigator

Very nice work: you've achieved high contrast -- making the details easy to see -- while also maintaining natural color tones and smooth transitions. Very nice, indeed.

MoScotch likes this.
  3. Brawler

Brawler Well-Known Member

Holy jesus those models are beautiful! Great smooth transitions and dark faded schemes. So, to answer the post I really like what I see. However, feedback or advice is a lot harder when models look these great.

I thought about it for a while and I really feel it's extreme nitpicking and not really needed. But if you would like a challenge I would say that: From your paiting-style it's pretty clear that you're going for the dark and gritty realistic style. With your execution it yields a great result. However, if you would like to spice them up you could try and add either
    1. Some kind of detail, either in the shape of a logo or text that can act as a focal point and contrast to the smooth transitions. or
    2. Osl or some kind of light-effects. I can never remember the guy on the old forum that had the same kind of style as you, but had painted his ariadnans in a kind S.T.A.L.K.E.R.-scheme. Faded and dark, but extreme lighting-effects that draws the attention.

Hope you try it out as a challenge, and do tell how it works out for you!

Kahlain and MoScotch like this.
  4. lefrank

lefrank Well-Known Member

A stunning result! The only thing I can think of that might make a difference is to increase the impression of harder material -- more contrast on a smaller area and a harder reflection edges/points. The rest is without a doubt masterclass.

MoScotch likes this.
  5. MoScotch

Thank you guys so much! Those are the kind of comments that help me to stay motivated.
    Especially for the really usefull hints on improvement, I value those the most because it can be hard to see your own mistakes and problems.
    I am still learning and trying to get better every time I paint, I love the process.

@Brawler Freehands is definitely something I will try in the future, but I am always too afraid to ruin everything, so most of the time I decide not to do it. OSL is something that I have already done some time ago. I will try and find the pictures even though it is a far way to go, because I wasnt really happy with the results.
    And yes, I know exactly the person you mean. His works (the S.T.A.L.K.E.R-themed Ariadna) was actually what got me into converting van Zant. I really loved his works in the old forums. Unfortunately i havnt seen him around in the new one. I think the name was something like WhisperWhip, could be entirely wrong though.

@lefrank well, what can I say. I envied your skills back in the old forums, especially your jade empire works. To hear those words from you leaves me speechless and is a great honor. thank you.
    Concerning harder material – you are absolutely right. My golds and metals often looks like grey and yelow plastic. Thats something I will try to work on in the future, NMM still gives me a hard time, especially the hard contrasts, but I love the challenge.

EDIT: Here are the pictures I talked about

youalephedmyjing_group.jpg sujian_solo.jpg

#5 MoScotch, Jun 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  6. lefrank

Honestly, judging from what I can see you won't be challenged for long

MoScotch and jherazob like this.
  7. Billy

Billy Member

Love the muted tones on these, how do you find they look on the table? That's where I'm always disappointed if I use muted tones.

Mine are never this good though so maybe that's my problem! The red (or purple?) on the Aleph is top notch.

I can't help with the NMM, I have the same problem that they come out looking like plastic rather than metal! I'm not very good with black/grey as it is and struggle to differentiate between NMM metal sections and grey.

MoScotch likes this.
  8. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

This STALKER army? Just whisper as you can see.

MoScotch likes this.
  9. MoScotch

@lefrank lets hope so, i will give it my best :)

@Billy thanks a lot! I have to agree with you, muted palettes usually dont work that well on the tabletop. Its just a matter of distance and brightness I guess. For me, I mostly paint for the display and most of all for the pure joy. I love to play, but when I compare the time spent in painting to time playing, its problably 100:1. At a certain point in my life it just got frustratingly difficult to find the time to meet with my friends. Painting on the others hand is something I can do much much easier. Plus, I simply love the details on the models of CB. At times, It takes me for ever to just hold a miniature and look at it from every angle. So the close up is usually my view, not the one from afar.
    Additionally in my meta, its a really rare occasion where you have a very nice table, plus painted only troops, plus everything in a more or less correlating style.
    Concerning the NMM: I guess what helped me a little is to stop focusing on the blending when trying to achieve nmm. What i realized is: in the beginning my major focus was to achieve proper blending, but that takes space. I dont know how to better explain it in english. It gets harder (and I think less important) the smaller the area is, where the blending has to happen. And with nmm, so with hard contrasts, the change from dark to bright hast to happen in very small area.

@Mob of Blondes awesome, thanks so much! Thats exactly the thread i was talking about! And it is just now that I realize his name is only Whisper and rest was meant to be WIP xD xD

10. lefrank

If you don't already know it, have a look at these tutorials.

The artist Ben Komets is one of the world's best, and here he uses really simpe techniques for the NMM Gold (and I don't mean the Loaded Brush -- that's black magic)

MoScotch, volgo and jherazob like this.
  11. MoScotch

@lefrank thx a lot, i havnt watched this one yet, looking forward to it! I Just ordered the crane agent that comes with the v2 masterclass book from giraldez. I will try it on him!

lefrank likes this.
  12. MoScotch

Hi guys, just a little update on the crane agent.
    take care

Untitled-1.jpg

Golem2God, Koin-Koin, Xeurian and 4 others like this.
  13. Koin-Koin

Koin-Koin Well-Known Member

Great job. A bit disappointing at first sight as it looks like a ghost until I notice you only worked the hands :yum:

MoScotch likes this.
  14. MoScotch

Just a little thing in between to paint someting different. Real Quick WIP of Cherry.
    Take Care

Cherry.JPG

ukyozed, lefrank, spykeside and 7 others like this.
  15. andre61

andre61 Well-Known Member

Liking Cherry.

MoScotch likes this.
  16. archangeleong

archangeleong Deadly Ninja Assassin

Very nice work on muted tones. Not a painting style I'm used to doing so I really appreciate it.

MoScotch likes this.
  17. MoScotch

Thanks guys!

Here is something new: my take on fixing the dakinis. I converted them quite some time ago. with the new vedic starter around the corner I thought I better hurry putting some paint on them.

Here is the first one. The conversion is rather easy but I like them better than the original ones.

dakini_neu.jpg

18. Nathelis

Nathelis happy Invincible Painter

Saw your stuff on facebook and camere here aswell to follow! Keep it up man real good painting skills and I love your color choices.

MoScotch likes this.
  19. MoScotch

Thanks for all the nice comments! I appreciate it!

Here is some more WIP stuff. A little Aleph, with vedic coming out soon I am hyped :) Plus I Found some "old" images I would like to share too,

Cheers

aleph_2.jpg
    Aleph WIP

metro_1.jpg
    Skectching the color scheme for my ariadna

zant_1.jpg
    zant_2.JPG
    zant_3.jpg #
    WIP stages of my van Zant

TheDiceAbide, Xeurian, Leper and 4 others like this.
  20. Billy

Billy Member

Great work Mo, always look forward to your updates :)

MoScotch likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation