1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How useful is Cybermask, really?

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by Maksimas, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Maksimas

Maksimas Heavy Infantry Addict Maxim

I'm feeling rather conflicted about this hacking program.

Having read up on Impersonations rules, I see little point of using this program with units that already get a naturally available marker state ( Camo, Holoechos, stuff like that. ), such as Ninjas or Hac Taos for Yu Jing. Having to make a WIP roll just to get into a state that is, at best, as easy to reveal as your natural state and, at worst, easier to reveal than your naturally available one, seems rather pointless.
    Maybe it's more useful for units lacking a marker state to allow them to more safely maneuver around? Units such as Tunguskas Interventors, Reverend Custodiers or HD+ Asuras?

Am I missing or misunderstanding something here? Or am I just stupid?

2. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

Mines.

Coordinated orders that let you recamo your KHD and HD+ on one go (better to be camoed than not).

Also, some KHD don't have camo state (Interventors, Kerr-Nau, Bit & Kiss...).

3. Maksimas

I did mention that it might be useful for units lacking camo states ( The Interventor was even one of the examples. ).

Also, I do suppose the coordinated order part is valid. I mean, you might want to go back into TO camo, but... with only one order left and multiple units in need of a marker state, you're not exactly in a bargaining position.

4. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

All the others being HD+ made me assume you were focused on their most common profile (H+ combi rifle, with or without Fastpanda).

Anyway, the Mines are the most common reason: mines DO detonate agains camo markers, but not against IMP markers.

5. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

Cybermask is really good. It protects you from attack without discovery and gives you the surprise shot option. It's an order to use, but still worth it to get an edge at times. And if you're facing scary enemy hackers, it'll keep your guys alive.

I wish there was an EVO Support Upgrade Program that let you activate all the Cybermask programs in your force as a single order, or use a command token if you go second. That'd be sweet

Hachiman Taro and Abrilete like this.
  6. Maksimas

Eh, suppose all this stuff just flew over my head since, y'know... Yu Jings KHDs all have marker states that are either TO ( Ninjas and Hac Taos. ) or Holoechos ( Kanrens. ).

Good stuff to know in advance, what with thinking about getting into Nomads sometime next ITS Season and all.

7. Robock

Robock Well-Known Member

Usually all models receive the whole package deal of program (with a few model who receive a specific program as an extra). So nothing wrong with a cybermask program being less useful on KHD/HD+ who have access to a different marker state.

8. Maksimas

Wasn't saying it is, really.
    Just was wondering how actually useful it is, since the faction I play doesn't really have any KHD users in need of a marker state, so I couldn't really say I know a lot in that field.
    And yeah, it's not an extra and is packaged into the solid KHD, so not much cause to complain.

9. Savnock

Savnock Nerfherder

For me Cybermask is all about getting past koalas. Bloody (fellow) Nomads!

10. Abydog

Abydog Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried the Aragoto khd with cybermask? An impetious 55mm marker in with 8-6 movement sounds interesting

11. spears

spears Well-Known Member

You cant cybermask whilst impetuous.

The evo does kind of give some benefit in that you need it to be able to co-ordinate cybermask.

12. barakiel

barakiel Echo Bravo Master Sergeant

Yeah, the distinction really comes into play against equipment that affects Camo but doesn't affect impersonation. Mines, as mentioned, are a big one. Similarly, opponents making big use of Sniffer/Sensor may be able to lock you out of Recamoing, or may be able to Discover with such ease that it isn't even worth attempting to Recamo. In Camo state, getting clipped with a template means tough luck.

With Impersonation though, you can hide on the other side of a wall from someone and know you're perfectly safe; they can come at you with Sensor, Sat Lock, Intuitive Attack, hit you with missiles, surround you with mines, slap you with Chain Rifles, and none of it affects you until they line a guy up in LoF and pass that WIP roll first. It may seem fundamentally similar, but in terms of game mechanics, it's very different.

13. deathklockk

deathklockk Strange, but not a stranger.

It's fun to put a KHD model amongst a fire team to prevent them being hit by templates as well.

bladerunner_35 and Hecaton like this.
  14. Leviathan

Leviathan Hungry Caliban

Good way to cross a firelane too wide for a cautious move.

15. theGricks

theGricks Well-Known Member

When I use a KHD on its own, I will often Cybermask as one of the first actions they do as it makes them immune to other hackers while they are cybermasked. gives an extra layer of protection and an extra layer of danger to my opponent when I have Repeaters out.

NOTE: IF the hacker does not have another token state option.

Maksimas likes this.
  16. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

You need EVO for that too.

17. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

Indeed you do. I think it has been mentioned too.

18. Aspect Graviton

Aspect Graviton Friendly Alien Overlord
    Warcor

I'm a big fan of suprise attacks with Charontids or Legates with HD+ cybermask.

"Guys ... has fusilier Dave been working out?"

Deltervees, Belgrim and Abrilete like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation