1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What am I missing?

Discussion in 'Scenery' started by EccentricOwl, Feb 15, 2018.

1. EccentricOwl

EccentricOwl Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I've been hard at working making as much terrain as possible. It's a bit stressful sometimes, running to the laser-cutter at the library, priming it, painting it, and so on. But it's enjoyable when a board comes together!

[​IMG]

I'm running a league in the near future. I'd like to get some more terrain before then. The above is a picture of what one of our boards often looks like; it's using most of the larger buildings (I need to make more of those!) and a very small percentage of our scatter terrain.

I'd like to know; what am I missing? What else do I need to build? Walkways? Stairs? Larger buildings? Smaller buildings?

timberfox, Danger Rose and jherazob like this.
  2. Erethros

Erethros Well-Known Member

To make a good competitive board, You need buildings with different heights, small elements as crates, containers and little stuffs like that....

Put the higher buildings at the middle to avoid giving a long range shooter capacity to cover the entire enemy deployment zone.

Small elements along the streets let those unit with infiltration to start in good positions too.

Danger Rose, Icchan and EccentricOwl like this.
  3. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

Not all of them. Place a sniping nest (not optimal, but attractive) on one side, even if it covers the whole table (but try to place it to the middle of the Deployment Zone) so there is a reason to choose one side over the other. Placing a tall one on the center is another good idea, and with the "infinite height ITS room" we had until this season it used to give good control against "all seeing sniper" (it was removed for tournament convenience, while it's kinda easy for a group of people to have a bunch of those rooms, for big tournaments of 30+ tables it can be more than a nightmare).

So: tall building on the center, sniping spot on a corner, or sniping spot in the middle of a Deployment Zone with some "shadows".

Also, it's very important to make sure the circular template can be placed on top of several buildings on each side of the table, so AD troops have a choice instead of being forced to either enter from a side (AD2) or land on the enemy DZ.

As for elements, you can never have enough stairs, ladders and catwalks between buildings. That gives a 3D component to the game some factions will find attractive, and place some meaning in the choice of "leaving or not the ARO shooter to die there alone because I can't move the medic/engineer out of there afterwards").

Some cars and maybe trucks, or some print&assemble containers (you can download some from the main downloads page on CB's site, it's the Maglev PDF) will let you shorten some firelanes, so most of them are between 30 and 40 cm (12-16 inches), which is more than the Chain Rifle's template, but inside the Combi Rifle's good range (with diagonals going into the -3 range band for the combi); I use the Combi Rifle as "standard length for fire lanes" because it's the "standard" weapon.

Finally, some scatter terrain that S2 models can vault over but also use as cover is good, and you need 9 S3 bases (consoles) anyway for missions like The Grid, and some S2 ones for beacons and other movable elements per table, so I think it's a good idea to place them as scatter terrain as well, just have some very distinctive ones you can define as ITS objectives while the others are used as scatter (the base might be painted differently, or you could use two sets of 3 consoles from Atenocitis and one set of 2 consoles+1 console different, from example more print&assemble).

4. EccentricOwl

Warcor

Thanks a lot for all the critique, I really appreciate it. :)

There are two things I'm really interested in, and I'm eager for recommendations:

1. "Tall" Buildings, even if they're really thin

2. The train - I feel like it could be a nice way to block LoF on ground level and it's fairly long. Does anyone have a place to buy an MDF or maybe recommend a 3D printed file?

3. Cars - cars are pricey on a lot of the main sites. If anyone has seen a nice MDF car/bus plan, or maybe a seller that has MDF vehicles, I'd ve very interested.

5. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

I have a "print & glue" 2 pages PDF from Tommygun that looks like rusted iron walls. Ideal for wrapping some Pringles cans (let's say three or four) and place in the center of the table, cut some cardboard to make catwalks between them with solid handrails and some ladders, and chances are there won't be easy long lines across it.

Another option is to use a crane, a tower, or some of Dave Graffam's Babylon buildings (kinda pricey, but worth it).

I only suggest to print the containers at the end, because they are a very cheap and professional-looking way to produce lots of "scatter" terrain (they are taller than S2). As for the train, I've seen it (and played over it) in MDF, it's not tall enough to break the overwatch of a sniper in a tall place.

Cheap plastic cars of the appropiate scale are good. Some collections also use 1/60 to 1/72 scale for models, and buying some copies of the first issue (which is the cheapest) is usually worth it (I have a WW2 german tank, the Umbra Legates look short by its side XD).

If you want an MDF "cheap" but interesting brand, Zen Terrain is good, I have the three house pack and they can be piled up endlessly (the three houses are of the same size, they use positioning to allow for the stacking... I confess however that going up and down a 3 story version of that house means exhausting he whole movement of even a Dakini, and still need another order to get down XD). They also have some military vehicles, and I think they might have some cars... all in MDF!

EccentricOwl and jherazob like this.
  6. EccentricOwl

Warcor

I've tried to improve my scenery setups to be more dense.

IMG_0313.JPG

Attached Files:

jherazob likes this.
  7. ThePlasticCrackBlog

I feel that you need to put more in the zone of the left deployment. It's really open and they're gonna die super quick. It also helps to have really tall blocking buildings in the centre. Your fortress looks great. But the player on the right gets a sniper zone to the whole board straight out of the gate.

I would be tempted to put a tower in the centre, and then buildings near it (make alley ways) and then use the walls you have to come off a building to break up the alley ways. I think by trying to make a pretty scenic board, it makes for a poor play board in this instance. Until you get more stuff.

Keep going though man :)

EccentricOwl likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation