1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I get Octavia for YuJing and White Banner in N4?

Discussion in 'Yu Jing' started by kensai, Oct 9, 2020.

?

does she have an "above average" qualification?

1. yes, get her, harpooning with (non-guided) missiles is FUN!!

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. nope, +1B on her is inferior to our trusted Yan Huo

11 vote(s)
    78.6%
  1. kensai

kensai New Member

in Army 7, she does not seem to have much going for her, but as an "exclusive model", i am suffering from fear-of-missing-out syndrome.
    Any directions dear fellow state citizens?

2. the huanglong

the huanglong Well-Known Member

I haven't found a reason to take her in Yu Jing.

3. Aldo

Aldo Spare 15

She's pretty bad, she's not that pretty and a new one with different arms should show up at some point.

Don't, not worth it.

Nuada Airgetlam likes this.
  4. the huanglong

the huanglong Well-Known Member

I feel like she was designed and tested by the same people as the Boyg.

zapp and Death like this.
  5. Paegis

Paegis Vincible Officer

I actually disagree on that count, I think she's got a pretty sweet mini, but yeah, profile-wise she's probably not worth getting. We have a lot of other active-turn armor crackers.

Though if you're looking for justification, she might make a nice Hundun HRL proxy.

Willen likes this.
  6. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

She's less attractive to Yu Jing because she's sitting right in the price bracket of the Hun Dun HRL.

For other Vanilla armies she's ok. She's the kind of thing you look at when you have 4pts left over and some spare SWC in a list and no room to add an extra model because of the cap. 4 points left over? I guess I upgrade the TR bot to Octavia.

7. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

She's just okay. Missing Fireteam options and/or a deployable and/or either Mimetism (-3) or BS Attack (-3). Hard sell as just a missiles lobber outside of vanilla and The Armoury.
    Boyg is strictly speaking a direct improvement over the Yan Huo and worth its points. There might be units for Pan-O/WinterF that are worth more in a similar role, just like in Yu Jing, but Boyg is far from the worst unit design CB has conceived.

Willen and Aldo like this.
  8. Fed4ykin

Fed4ykin Well-Known Member

Just thought, how much more desireble Octavia would be with a heavy rocket launcher with +1 burst instead of the missle launcher.
    I don't see me fielding her anytime in the near future even if I got her with the books. But I honestly wanted the books.
    She will be a stand in for a brawler, Hundun, notifier etc.

9. zapp

zapp Well-Known Member

Without any sarcasm, why do you think the Boyg is an improvement? I looked at both Missile B+1 profiles and I don't know If I would like to pay 4p for dodge +3 and +1 BTS. And I'd for sure choose the HRMC over an MK12 and the Neurocinetics over +1 in active turn.

And for the topic, I think active turn ML are far less useful than ARO ML profiles. And for an ARO profile, she lacks some punch. Her only asset is dogged.

That said, I actually prefer these "Merc that has to be playable everywhere because it was in the book" profiles to not be top notch. The Liberto and also the Krakot were a bit of a problem in N3 vanilla lists. She is still playable if you like the model and want to field her.

#9 zapp, Oct 9, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
    the huanglong likes this.
  10. Aldo

Aldo Spare 15

Her +1B doesnt apply in ARO, so why are you taking her over the TR bot?

11. Mahtamori

Better at dodging, can shoot at short range more effectively using the heavy pistols, 3 more BTS versus hacking, and have access to a 0 SWC profile that's not bad. In short, it doesn't stop being useful when the opponent stops placing TAGs up for long range ARO fights, you can actually use it to go dig the enemy out.
    Yan Huo is extremely niche, Boyg (particularly the MK12 profile) is fairly diverse.

I think making Oktavia available everywhere is the mistake. Wild Bill should serve as an excellent role model for how to handle mercs; give them to the factions where they are relevant and design them from the premise of those factions. I see little reason for Oktavia to be available for vanilla Yu Jing and less for Haqq'islam; she ought to be designed from the premise of Combined / Shasvaasti / White banner / WinterFor. Hell, remove her from vanilla Pan-O and give her smoke might've been funny and possibly driven the Pan-O hordes to stop disparaging WinterFor (though I have not been keeping up with their criticism past N4).

Aldo likes this.
  12. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

13. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

I'd use her as a Zhanshi ML. A core Zhanshi is almost the same, +1B, 6th Sense, Good BS (better actually), etc.

Sedral likes this.
  14. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

Because she has dogged and a gun big enough that people can't ignore it. In the age of hyper optimised link teams anything that isn't like a Dakini or a Kamau in link is statistically likely to just get fucked when trying to ARO. I view the majority of ARO units as having a purpose of just wasting orders including TR bots, if they happen to win a F2F roll that's gravy but realistically someone's just gonna -12 MOD them or some shit. Winning the F2F roll to me is less important than just being harder to ignore because you have 2 wounds, or dogged, or really high armour or something.

If your opponent doesn't have shock on their long range attack (which with marksmanship falling off remotes has become rarer outside of TAGs with Multi HMGs) Octavia stands a better chance to force 2 orders to be wasted. And if she isn't dealt with you then have a B2 ML up your sleeve which is a decent threat.

#14 Triumph, Oct 9, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  15. Mahtamori

Pretty big waste of SWC on a model that is arguably worse at the whole gun fighting than Knauf, Lunah or a Bao, though with a template.
    And on the note of the template, she'll also be fighting for those SWC and points against Wu Ming HRL or Hundun HRL, both of which have a really scary weapon, and the Ye Mao costs only 1 pts more for a missile launcher with both MSV1 and Mimetism at the cost of 1 burst that you only get in active turn.
    Or hell, the much much cheaper Son-Bae.

There's just a lot of competition in the 30 point 1,5 SWC area that's just outright more competent in ARO.

archon likes this.
  16. archon

archon Well-Known Member

I like the mini. I will use her as an activ piece to threat a target, that I can outrange. After that will leave her for ARO if neccesary. Will use her for fluff/fun reasons, in Vanilla together with Aida. But I donĀ“t think that I will use her on a regular basis. I think she is too expensive and she lacks something to get her as a serious (2nd) attack piece.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation