1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Is Aristeia Promoted in your Area?

Discussion in 'News' started by rag1n, Aug 23, 2018.

1. rag1n

rag1n Well-Known Member
    Aristeia! Warcor

I am very curious as to how Aristeia has kicked off in various player's areas as it is currently not appearing to grow in mine and is affecting the amount I can actually play the game

Does CB do anything to help promote the game? Do you/your FLGS run special events? If so, what is involved in this event?

Thanks

knlghth00d likes this.
  2. DeadlyOcean

DeadlyOcean SCAF Maelstrom Crew/Korean A! Manager/Sygmaa Spy;)

First, I translate rules for non-English speakers.
    Second, I bring the game to our club and makes some demo games for players who got interest.
    Third, A! for Tabletop Simulator. It was really helpful for me.

My last plan is make AGL S2 on our gaming club but I have to more promotions :D

rag1n likes this.
  3. natetehaggresar

natetehaggresar Senior Backlogged Painter Manager

It's not promoted enough.

We hold regular infinity tournaments and events. We want to for A!, But we're all adults with families so A! Time cuts into infinity time.

We probably have about 1/3 of our infinity group playing A! When time permits. I demo with gamer friends who are not into infinity and locals. We need to do more, but life is hard...

DeadlyOcean and rag1n like this.
  4. rag1n

rag1n Well-Known Member
    Aristeia! Warcor

Coming from X-Wing, which obviously has the SW franchise to support it's promotion, I am surprised that such a good game is played so little.

I feel the same way about A! Not being a massive infinity player (I have a medium sized set of haqqislam but have only played a few times) I feel like most A! players are infinity players who are doing something for a change

Would be nice if this was treated and promoted as a standalone game because I do feel like A! has so much potential

5. Penemue

Penemue Watcher
    Warcor

I bought a set of the core + all expansions to date (though no cosplay models), all fully-sleeved (and eventually painted) for our club. If anyone is between games or sitting around looking bored and/or idle, I offer to throw down with some Aristeia. Sometimes people request games.

It's just not happening often enough. :(

rag1n likes this.
  6. rag1n

rag1n Well-Known Member
    Aristeia! Warcor

Do people simply not like the game or is it that they'd prefer to play something else?

Penemue likes this.
  7. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

For me, it's a boardgame and that's what keeps me off it. It's not whether I love it or hate it, I just have zero interest in it. It's a minor fluff reference made solid - but just like I don't care what my little mandollies had for breakfast, or what they watched on the toobs, it's not something I want to explore. If I did want to go into that level of minutiae, I'd play the rpg.
    There was an initial buzz from some of the local infinity players but not much in the way of crossovers in the boardgame/wargaming communities.
    And those that are into boardgames found other games that had come out to have more interest, better gameplay/whatever.

8. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Well-Known Member

The biggest drawback was the nearly simultaniously release of Shadespire, what has a "similar" gamefeeling.
    And the number of wargamepalyer, who are also interested in such a kind of "boardgame" is limited. Therefore, most other players started with Shadespire in my environment and you had a split between them and A!. Therefore neither system got the critical mass to attrackt verry new players, therefore there are to few players for the systems and therefore, no tournament were held.

I'm an Infinity player and didn't buy the box cause of one reason.
    I didn't want spent 120€ on preorder to get verry good metal minatures and a bunk of plastic minitures, who can't reach the qualitiy of the metal miniatures.
    I understand, why CB wanted to use plastic, but I would have prevered the chouce, what quality the people want. (2 different boxes)
    My personal absolut limit for the starter box with metal minis whould have been the 90€ form the Infinity starter boxes.
    And i personaly don't like the alternative fantasy metal miniatures. It's a SiFi game and it destroys my immersion.

9. natetehaggresar

natetehaggresar Senior Backlogged Painter Manager

CB makes excellent games. I really love infinity and have 2 whole factuons. I struggle to find time to play with those, let alone play other games.

I love A!, I like that it fills a more board gamey niche so I can play it with non serious gamers. It literally is just that I have too many things to do between job, family, etc, to find a lot of time to play games.

10. rag1n

rag1n Well-Known Member
    Aristeia! Warcor

awesome feedback. Not going to argue about opinions because that's pointless

<myopinion> I will say that I think A! has the potential to be as big or bigger than X-Wing. It's a fantastically designed game and I would say that it's far more in depth than it seems. </myopinion>

To each their own, though. Thanks for the feedback

volgo likes this.
  11. Penemue

Penemue Watcher
    Warcor

As some have said, it feels like "just" a boardgame, so players don't really come out with the intent to play it. They'd rather play with their painted minis, armies, etc.

12. rag1n

rag1n Well-Known Member
    Aristeia! Warcor

Sure. Can't argue with how people feel about it. Their past experiences help to dictate that. When I think of board game games like Catan, Pandemic, Mansions of Madness, Scythe etc. come to mind. Coming from X-Wing this game doesn't "feel" like just a board game. With squad building, deck building, ELO (a massive attracting to me if there were enough players in my area to justify a tournament scene), tournament kits and more it feels like a competitive game to me.

I can see how Infinity players or players who play wargames and skirmish games could see this differently. That's fine. I don't think those players should be the target market for A! but that's not really my decision.

I think overall this game needs to be marketed/promoted better to achieve success.

Penemue and Roadrunner7431 like this.
  13. Marc C

Marc C Cardboard Hero

There are 6 players now in my area. The store ordered a tournament kit. I started doing weekly events last night. One guy showed up, liked the game and bought the starter box. Looking forward to next week's evening.

#13 Marc C, Aug 29, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    Postmortem, rag1n and Roadrunner7431 like this.
  14. Marc C

Marc C Cardboard Hero

For my part I completely dropped out of Infinity in late 2016. After 6 years of playing the same game almost every week I just felt it was time to move along.

Aristeia is perfect for me at this juncture. Easy list building, quick step up and fast aggressive play on a board that fits on regular table. Its the first time I give money to CB in 19 months. I used to buy something from CB every month. So in that sense this product brought me back in the CB family. Its a win for CB and me.

#14 Marc C, Aug 29, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  15. Penemue

Penemue Watcher
    Warcor

I 100% agree on this one.

rag1n likes this.
  16. irishwizz

irishwizz Member

In my area, A! Is sold as a boardgame for aristeia players. My main board game shop does not sell it nor has it heard about it. It does not sell infinity / warhammer and therefore does not sell A! I don't know any shop that doesn't sell Infinity and that does sell A!

I have managed to convert a few board game players to get A! They love it. I really really think it should be distributed by a board game distributor and not a miniatures distributor.

This should really be independent of Infinity. we rely only on the rare existing players. In my area, there's 1 other player. I need to travel by train for 2h30 if i want to find other players (and 2h30 back). My friends who play A! Don't live in my country.
    I will organize a demo day in two months, hoping to convert some more people.

In my experience, shops are either miniature games shops (in which case they sell few board games) or board games shops (in which case they don't sell A!). The reason why Shadespire works better (if it does) might be because of the better GW fanbase, and the probably more attractive core box minis (admitedly, this has been largely corrected with better quality expansions starting with smoke and mirors, and with the really good metal minis).

I would love to see A! Getting more popular, and i think it is getting more and more popular. I just wished it was faster :-)

17. Roadrunner7431

Roadrunner7431 Well-Known Member

@irishwizz Please check out the TTS Table Top Simulator on Steam.

18. Marduck

Marduck Well-Known Member

It is hardly supported here. There only are Infinity tournament. I think Shadespierre really hurt Aristeia. GW fanbase and ability to promote a game can't be matched ...

The best thing that could happen to Aristeia would be to be developped as a video game. Not on TTS (which is nice, but not enough to attract people not playing the physical version of it), but an actual fully independant video game with the same rules (juste like blood bowl).

Video Games in the 40k universe did a lot to attract people into the hooby. I have no idea if a game company would be interested to buy the IP to do it.

Roadrunner7431 likes this.
  19. Marc C

Marc C Cardboard Hero

Well, after trying very hard to get a raise for this game since November it didn't work. I just decided to stop promoting it. No one shows up for my demos. GW is swamping the market with Kill Team, Necromunda and other releases. The store clerks are all avid players of 40k and other GW games... their repertoire of known games is very limited. Any non-GW game has to be promoted by a fan of the said game. I did that for Infinity for 5 years. I'm not willing to do that again.

Too bad because this is a really fun game. I'm happy I bought it and all the season one expansions. I'll play it occasionally with close friends.

20. Roadrunner7431

Roadrunner7431 Well-Known Member

Two weeks ago I did a total of 18 hours of demos at the Las Vegas Open. I had someone playing at my table for at least 15 of 18 hours. Everyone was thrilled with the game. Actually half of the players owned at least the CoreSet and were happy to get a game in. Yes there is huge competition especially with the GW juggernaut. I think that we a lucky that Aristeia is so strong in Spain and the CB team seem so devoted to the game that we may have the time to see our game emerge somehow

knlghth00d, Postmortem and Croepoek like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation