1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unraveling the Rules: Switches

Discussion in 'Rules' started by Roadrunner7431, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Roadrunner7431

Roadrunner7431 Well-Known Member

Since I began to understand the rule that the Active player determines which character activates switches first, I wondered why would the Active player ever want to activate switches first? However today's Blog entry shows an example where Mushashi attacks 8-Ball. 8-Ball has his general switch which allow him to displace himself by spending :1::3:. If Mushashi allows him to activate his switches first and he displaces himself so that he is no longer adjacent to Mushashi, then any :1: that Mushashi rolls cannot be converted to :2: because his general switch requires an adjacent target. This is a clear example of when Mushashi might want to activate his switches first.
    Today's blog might be the best and most important blog to elucidate important mechanics of this game. However it made me think about situations where switches can immediately impose states on characters that affect LOS and might prevent inflicting :4: in a combat roll. I will leave it to subsequent posts to elaborate.

2. treiral

treiral Midnight poster

Thankfully, losing LOS due to states/smoke no longer prevents inflicting :4: in a combat roll. I don't know if you remember, but before the latest FAQ/Errata was updated, Eclypse had an attack that essentially :S:dazzled the opponent, which meant she was safe from any retaliation from the defense roll. Kozmo had a similar case by producing smoke in the space the target was.
    But I digress, basically states and smoke no longer prevents :4: because the errata, and the LOS situation was already fixed from the beginning, in the Declaration (step 2) of the sequence of action says:

From this step onwards, the Action is completed even if some of the requirements are no longer met.

Which is referring to losing LOS and being out of the action's range, among other possible requirements.
    Apparently this is also why Kozmo :S:Hidden still gets damaged when playing Asteroid Belt.

Roadrunner7431 likes this.
  3. Roadrunner7431

Roadrunner7431 Well-Known Member

Thank you @treiral. Although I follow this game closely almost everyday, the interactions have become so varied and so complex it is easy to forget that the most recent FAQ emphasized that the conditions of the attack at declaration are maintained throughout its resolution. Therefore these states with LOS issues may only be relevant for actions that may occur mor than once in an activation. Eclypse who :S: dazzled her target with the first Black Lightning may use Black lightening a second time on the same target without fear of receiving :4:.

treiral likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation