1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Much Taigha is Enough?

Discussion in 'Combined Army' started by RedeemedRyan, Jun 11, 2019.

1. RedeemedRyan

RedeemedRyan Member

Hello Combined Army players,

I was listening to the most recent White Noise podcast, entitled "Protect Your Embryos". In it, Dmitry exalts the benefits of Shasvasti, and in doing so talked the Taigha up quite a bit.

Now in my limited experience, I've played against Taigha once--and I completely agree with Dmitry's assessment. These units are insane! At the least, they are a 5 to 6 point berserk missile for running up the table and critting important things off of it. I see few reasons to not include 8 of them in a list; which is a base of 40 points--nothing! Obviously you want to still fulfill the list building requirements of the mission, and have a functional list, but with the max allowed Taigha at a 40 point commitment I think it is still very easy to accomplish this.

I was curious if anyone has tried running 8 of them in a list consistently? I understand that their extreme impetuous will mean they are often exposing themselves to ARO, but dodging on a 16 tends to help with (PH 13 + Hyper-dynamics L1).

I think you could run a relatively competitive list that looks something like this (ubiquitous Sheskin still included):

Shasvastii Expeditionary Force
    ──────────────────────────────────────────────────

GROUP 1[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]10
    SHESKIIN Lieutenant Red Fury, Pulzar, D-Charges / Pistol, DA CCW. (1 | 54)
    NOX Paramedic (MediKit) Combi Rifle, Zapper / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 16)
    NOX Hacker (EI Hacking Device) Combi Rifle, Zapper / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 22)
    NOX Combi Rifle, Zapper / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 14)
    T-DRONE FTO Missile Launcher, Flash Pulse / Electric Pulse. (1.5 | 19)
    SPECULO KILLER (Minelayer) Combi Rifle, Smoke Grenades, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Monofilament CCW, Knife. (1.5 | 39)
    SEED-SOLDIER (Forward Observer) Combi Rifle, D.E.P. / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 17)
    NOCTIFER Missile Launcher / Assault Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 32)

GROUP 2[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]1 [​IMG]8 [​IMG]8
    R-DRONE Flash Pulse, Sniffer / Electric Pulse. (0 | 8)
    TAIGHA Chain-colt / DA CC Weapon. (0 | 6)
    TAIGHA Chain-colt / AP + Shock CCW. (0 | 5)

6 SWC | 300 Points

Open in Infinity Army

I had a few extra points, which I used to upgrade some of the Taigha to the Dual Action variant, but the nuances of the list are beside the point--how much Taigha is enough Taigha? Has anyone ran all 8 and had a blast of it? Really want to hear some feedback on how these guys perform, because they seem amazing.

2. Stiopa

Stiopa Trust The Fuckhead

Taigha screen should be really fun to play with. I do have a few remarks on the list, though:

1) Switch one Taigha with one of the Seeds. Sometimes there will be an opening for you to cross the table and catch multiple units under the template (even easier to achieve here, thanks to smaller Silhouette). This means that you want at least one of them to have a full order pool to use in such situation.

2) Decide how you want to use your Nox fireteam. Right now it has both assault and defensive units in there. It's better to specialize, or to include an additional trooper to reform the fireteam when you'll want it to switch function mid-game. Also, having the hacker and drone in the same team usually works out poorly; when you'll activate the hacker to boost drone with Supportware, every ARO trooper which sees the drone will be able to take a free shot.

3) Speculo will go down quickly without some backup in terms of Shrouded and/or Malignos. Seeds probably won't be enough. However you can use it as a very effective bait - simply place Noctifier on overwatch, guarding the path enemy will have to take to reach Speculo.

barakiel likes this.
  3. barakiel

barakiel Echo Bravo Master Sergeant

I agree that you want the Taigha to be able to use more than a few Orders, if the situation calls for it. Whether that's having on in your Primary Group, or having a few Regular units in Group 2 to help out, I think it's well worth it.

4. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

Taigha are indeed pretty great, and I agree with the general comments here about considerations when including a larger number of irregular models in an army. Command tokens can buy you some latitude, but are a very limited resource. Irregular models are cheap, but having enough regular orders can make the difference between presenting your opponent an annoying screen of chaff, and making a decisive play that wins you the game.

If I have one complaint about Taigha, it's that I think they outclass the Hungries. They have a bigger CC punch than a Gaki, and are more versatile than a Preta. They also can dodge better and further than either, which significantly offsets the smaller threat range of the Chain-Colt.

Metal730 and Ginrei like this.
  5. RobertShepherd

RobertShepherd Antipodean midwit

It's interesting you say that, @toadchild . I've been finding that I have begun to miss Gakis in particular as I play more and more Taighas exclusively. I'm slowly shifting back towards a 50/50 split or some similar mix, just because there are applications of Gakis with their climbing plus and explode - particularly in a counter-skirmisher role where their higher WIP also matters - that you simply can't replicate with a Taigha, as good as it is.

ijw, volgo and toadchild like this.
  6. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

Glad to hear you say that, I'll keep on experimenting and see how it goes.

ijw and RobertShepherd like this.
  7. Leviathan

Leviathan Hungry Caliban

I've been consistently using a group of 4 (alongside 2-3 regular orders) with generally decent amounts of success.
    Why 4? because that's how many go in a co-ordinated order.

8. smog

smog Well-Known Member
    Warcor

You can coordinate irregulars using an irregular order, right? I mean, it costs a CT, but it could be an alternative to mixing them with regular orders

9. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

@smog You need a regular order to perform a coordinated order, which must include not only troopers of the same combat group but of the same training. So 1 regular order can be used to active up to 4 troopers who are irregular.

WarHound and Abrilete like this.
  10. daszul

daszul Well-Known Member

/offtopic
    Why? The drone is not activated, the hacker is activated. Why should the drone trigger an ARO?

11. Stiopa

Stiopa Trust The Fuckhead

The whole fireteam activates; Team Leader is simply the only one actually acting.

Metal730 and toadchild like this.
  12. Aspect Graviton

Aspect Graviton Friendly Alien Overlord
    Warcor

S2 and climbing plus can come in handy, Taighas for example can't assault an S2 behind a lot of obstacles an S2 can see over for example. while in most situations you'd simply chain colt in some you want to lock targets in combat instead and roll your superior CC in F2F.

13. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

I find the lacking of C+ a difference I can't stand...
    I use them, but i don't abuse. Maybe it's because i'm not that lucky on my dodges...

14. smog

smog Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Ah. Thanks for the clarification

15. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

Interesting! I frequently find climbing plus to be a very mixed bag, as it can cause them to impetuously run into elevated areas where they have fatal ARO exposure.

Ginrei likes this.
  16. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

It seems they could be great too combined with Pretas in Vanilla. At least there's more smoke to take advantage of.

RobertShepherd likes this.
  17. Leviathan

Leviathan Hungry Caliban

Yeah, I think @RobertShepherd uses mixed critters in vanilla so has some experience there - i'm talking exclusively from the perspective of shasvastii.

Incidentally - Pit Patrols can be super good too. I thought I'd miss the chaincolt but I really didn't.

toadchild and RobertShepherd like this.
  18. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

How are Pit Patrols good?

19. Leviathan

Leviathan Hungry Caliban

They're hard to get into range, i grant you - it helped that we were playing Armory and Engineering Deck, for sure - but once they're up into midfield its remarkable how much threat they project, especially if you use the Taigha as a forward attack piece - you can make it very difficult for the opponent to pick AROs when he's got a slavering beastie trying to bite his leg off while your SMG-totting ODD assassin is hanging back and ready to unload.

20. Tickle Monster

Tickle Monster Active Member

I have been enjoying the new Taigha and using them in conjunction with Pretas and Daturazi. So far they have been pretty useful for tying up enemies, wasting their orders and even sometimes killing things. Having bezerk is great but the combination of a larger template and dogged means that for an extra point or two the Pretas are still my favourite little beasties (if their arms don't fall off mid battle)

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation