1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Get hyped, nerds, for [August Releases]

Discussion in 'News' started by Solar, Jun 25, 2018.

1. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

TBH the real fix is call Strategos 1 'Lieutenant 2', Strategos 2 'Lieutenant 3' and Strategos 3 'Lieutenant 4'.

Robock likes this.
  2. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

this way you can have both! And the HMG one can use the Lt's order herself without being the Lt, so... extra order for her.

The HRL also is linkable, as mentioned in another post. The only real limit Aleph has in toys is SWC, as usual.

3. theradrussian

theradrussian Well-Known Member

@Ginrei let me help you out.

LT: Lieutenant. A commissioned officer (barring field promotion which ain't a thing in infinity)

NCO: Non-commissioned officer. Quite literally speaking translates to SGT or other rank that does not have a commissioned posting (aka: no officer school).

Since these two can't be the same at once, because an NCO can't be a commissioned officer, why would you add it to the Strategos skill that states it only comes into effect when the model with the ability is used as the LT.

4. SmaggTheSmug

SmaggTheSmug Well-Known Member

NCO being part of Strategos wouldn't work because Strategos requires the trooper to be a Lieutenant and NCO to not be a Lieutenant.
    It would be like putting Chain of Command and Lieutenant on the very same profile.

5. Rey

Rey Crabbots lead the way

or putting CoC on an AD trooper. :grinning:

Berjiz, Stiopa and theradrussian like this.
  6. theradrussian

theradrussian Well-Known Member

*Singh cries sadly in the corner where he is left as no one brings him* :D

7. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

No, because you can make CoC work by deploying the AD trooper using the AD rules. Kirpal is in no way shape or form guaranteed to be off the table when your LT dies. You're referring to good old Skornergy where there is value in both, but the synergy you need to make it efficient just isn't there. Different kind of problem, but a problem nevertheless.

--

However, I do want to note that it wouldn't make anti-sense to have this as Strategos 0, provided it didn't share the same requirements as Strategos 1-3. This wouldn't be the first time that a levelled skill has different requirements on different levels or where a levelled skills later levels completely made the earlier levels obsolete. No one is arguing that AD3 is sometimes useful if you have AD4 and AD1 doesn't have the same requirements as AD2 or AD4.
    So anyone dissing this idea that it could have been first level of Strategos; don't.

Ginrei likes this.
  8. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

It's absolutely fine as it is, NCO is cool

9. Tongfa

Tongfa ULTRA INSTINCT UKR

Would be interesting to know whether or not NCO reveals who your lieutenant is. Assume so tbh, as NCO seems to act like a Lieutenant order which forces you to reveal who your Lt is.

10. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Well-Known Member

I don't think, that you must reveal, who's your Lt. You reveal your Lt always indirectly, when you use the order on him.

xagroth and theradrussian like this.
  11. inane.imp

It'll depend on how NCO is actually written because using your Lieutenant order "broadcasts who your Lieutenant is" and is for "his use only".

It could easily be that the Lieutenant spends the order and the NCO activates or that the Special Lieutenant order is converted into an Irregular order for the NCO's exclusive use.

Solar and ijw like this.
  12. Phayton

Phayton Well-Known Member

I am wondering if the Yadu NCO can use the Lieutenant Order as a linkleader of a fireteam?

13. inane.imp

;)

xagroth, tdc, Solar and 1 other person like this.
  14. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Well-Known Member

Thats your opinion, but I don't think so. You make suggestions, who are not written in the rules.

15. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

Without the rules text, opinion is all anyone can give.

That would require the higher levels of LT not being reserved for other stuff. ;-)

16. Ginrei

Ginrei Well-Known Member

I've already countered these arguments. I understand the NCO and Lt are different things. But there is NOTHING stopping NCO being given a different name and different meaning while retaining the exact same function.

The current requirement of being the Lt to use Strategos isn't relevant even though yourself, @SmaggTheSmug, and others have brought it up. That requirement isn't actually necessary in the rules at all. Maybe @Mahtamori can please confirm this for me. If we remove the requirement of being the Lt from Strategos and only put the Strategos skill on Lt Profiles it functions the same. This also eliminates cases like the Skiavoros paying for a skill on profiles it can't use.

Now by adding NCO(under a different name for fluff reasons) as Strategos lvl0, that skill can be placed on non Lt profiles without complication. Infinity already functions like this. Haris skills are only on select profiles. So are Xvisors, MSV3, hacking devices, the list is long. I'm not suggesting anything that doesn't already exist in this game.

@ijw I still have to disagree on NCO's real world meaning making it easier to remember the rule compared to Strategos lvl0. They are identical in that both are a single rule that require memorization of their use within Infinity. The connection NCO has to the real world doesn't change the fact its function within Infinity must be learned. Real word definitions don't directly translate into applicable rules within Infinity. So I don't agree the meaning of NCO helps any more than pairing two like skills together both affecting the Lt order. They both have a single trigger for memory recall.

Without seeing NCO in the actual rules themselves, having one less page/link and one term instead of two is more than enough for me to say which is better. So whether it ends up being a single written word less or not doesn't interest me.

17. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

Again, we'll have to agree to disagree. What you've listed as counters is personal opinion, which other people don't share.

18. tdc

tdc ALEPH Fragment
    Warcor

!!!!!

I wonder if/when we'll see that!

Robock likes this.
  19. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

It is definitely in the character of this forum that our reaction to cool new profiles is to argue about the laying out of rules minutiae in respect of a new rule we've not even actually seen yet...

20. Benkei

Benkei Well-Known Member

No video today? Is the week over? It would be a battle report anyway, isn't it?

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation