1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First time infinity GM

Discussion in 'Modiphius Entertainment' started by Belgrim, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Belgrim

Belgrim Well-Known Member

I'm going to GM an one-shot mission for my players in the coming weeks.
    I loved the lifepath system so far but i find the actual rules to be vague many times and all over the place.
    I havent played it yet so im keeping an open mind.

Anyone experienced with the system has any advice for a first time GM?

Στάλθηκε από το Mi A2 Lite μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Golem2God likes this.
  2. Golem2God

Golem2God Just a Kooky Kumotail serving others.

@Solodice has some experience under his belt. Maybe he can answer your question?

Belgrim likes this.
  3. Solodice

Solodice Freshly Squeezed Troll

Is the lifepath rules vague to you or is it the other rules in the book? To be honest the 2d20 system doesn't read that well and the layout of the book doesn't help. I find it's one of those systems that when seen and used it starts to make more sense then how they decided to describe it on paper.

4. DrunkCorsair

DrunkCorsair Well-Known Member

I think the worst part is the earnings and buying stuff rules. Or you tend to end up with characters with to much money which makes it to easy to get stuff.

Belgrim and Golem2God like this.
  5. Belgrim

Belgrim Well-Known Member

No the lifepath was the easiest part.
    How do you manage combat distances and locations? If the players want to visualize things do you use miniatures or buildings? That also goes for hacking distances as well.

Is there anything that breaks the system in particular? I figured so far that lifestyle and persuade are very strong skills.

Is there a a list of possible traits or is it something completely left for the GM to think of and manage?

Also, i get the momentum and infinity points for players but i find the heat points for GM a little awkward. How can i use them out of battle? What if i want to create a hazard but dont have the heat to pay for it? Are they more of a guideline and less of a game mechanic? Do you show your players your heat pool or is it hidden?

I have many questions but these are from the top of my head. Probably after my first game many will be answered. I hope so at least.

Thanks in advance.

6. Solodice

Solodice Freshly Squeezed Troll

Distance: Since all Infinity games I have run have been PbP the distances are described or noted but I have included maps as well. The zone system is nice as you can establish them quickly. You can easily sketch a map and label zones or establish some landmarks and the zone they are associated with. Hacking is kind of the same when working in a quantronic network. If you have any of the adventures they have some nice network maps. There's also system access/remote hacking but on page 116 in the corebook there's a table detailing how many zones the hackers distance adds or subtracts.

So you can use miniatures/tokens on a map for easy reference or just keep up on notes on who's where to certain landmarks. I've used both and they've worked out well.

Breaking the Game: If you have players that like to use and abuse then lifestyle will be the first way to break the game. Since it's used for acquisition of equipment you can get a player that can grab anything they want and afford it as well. Any one that is a hyper-elite will cause headaches to keep them in line but that's if they want to abuse the power of course. So the power gamers will always find something to break. I'm more role over roll and tend to seek out similar players so I haven't experienced any glaring game breaks.

Traits: There is no list. I leave it up mostly to the players and then do GM approval on them.

Heat: Out of battle you can make players pay you heat instead of say using momentum. Also when complications are rolled you can bank heat. I see it more of a guideline for adding stuff to events you already had planned (or not because players like to go off the planned path a lot). Something to easy or the rolls are on the PCs side for a fight? Spend some heat for reinforcements. Have a car chase? Spend some heat and add in a construction spot hazard half way through to throw a curve ball at them.

Running it will give you the best feel for the system and even to see if you like it or not.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation