1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats good in N4 Onyx?

Discussion in 'Combined Army' started by WiT?, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Sabin76

Sabin76 Well-Known Member

Interesting. I haven't opened up the fluff book from N4 yet. Is that where this info is?

2. Pander22

Pander22 Well-Known Member

Really likimg the suryats haris lt lv2 hmg with kodahli and kerr-nau

Super flexible and super aggresive,

Then i normally mix a 3 man core in there with two rhodoks and nourkias,

The other list i made had 17 orders a full unidron link and support for them but seemed a little boring to play

Not a huge fan of core teams as I always find them just a little boring to play, and this way i still have a pounts for a malignoss a greif and a noc to mix in amd get 12 orders from one group

3. bloodw4ke

bloodw4ke Well-Known Member

I played OCF-only for a long while before jumping to SEF with their updates. The thing I came to appreciate about them retrospectively was their resilience as a force, something that is amplified by N4's crit rules.

To me, a single K1 Xeodron now feels like an effective, affordable attack piece. As others have mentioned, it gets the K1 damage boost and is now marksman and not combi for better ranges, AND moves at 6-2 super-jump (and Bioiummunity is... actually good..?). Before, I felt like I needed the haris to cover middle-assault ranges w/ a red fury, which really limited the number of lists I would consider them for. Now it's a good choice for main attack piece (vs. TAGs/HI), or a dangerous flanker (thanks to it's maneuverability).

The biggest trade-off seems to be on the E-Drone. Fairy Dust feels pretty important for dealing with hackers (9 BTS!) but it means no assisted fire for that Pumpkin Spice Unidron...

I know Nourkias gets a lot of love, but N4 OCF is all about the Xeodron for me.

#23 bloodw4ke, Oct 18, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    Dragonstriker likes this.
  4. Sabin76

...damn you... I will never be able to look at them the same way again.

bloodw4ke likes this.
  5. Cranky Old Man

Cranky Old Man Well-Known Member

In the app Nourkias now has counts as Samaritan for all fireteam composition. I’m very new to the game so tell what’s the advantage of putting him in a haris with two xeodrons?

6. RobertShepherd

RobertShepherd Antipodean midwit

This isn't a legal fireteam as none of the members have the fireteam haris rule. However, you can run Nourkias, a Samaritan and a Xeodron. It's got a lot of orders (tactical awareness and NCO) and can hack and melee incredibly well and is pretty decent at gunfighting off the Xeodron.

7. Sabin76

That advantage would be that you are cheating...

But seriously: as @RobertShepherd said, that would be an illegal fireteam. FWIW I plan on running a Nourkias and double Samaritan Haris (Hacker + Spit) at least once, just because I can.

8. Sergei Simonov

Sergei Simonov Well-Known Member

sadly not; Nourikas himself does not have the haris skill so he cannot form the fireteam. Foring the fireteam requires that member have the haris skill or are explicitly called out for the fireteam. So you could have Nork, Sam and Xeo, or Sam+2 Xeos, but not Nork+2 Xeos

9. WiT?

WiT? Well-Known Member

It took me this long to think that the Sphinx and the Xeodron have the same SIL value, and I haven't used my sphinx in years because of how swingy it is, so keen as to put a Xeodron on the table in some form!

If its a solo Xeodron, Vanilla can do that too, so would be interested to see what Onyx-specific advantages you use that make you choose this sectorial over vanilla?

10. bloodw4ke

bloodw4ke Well-Known Member

The Unidron castle. It's good on defense and for clearing dangerous ARO pieces. I also really like my Xeo backed up by Kerr-Nau with his white noise and B2, +3 pitchers and the Tinbot firewall.

11. paraelix

paraelix Seed Embryo Scholar

Any idea if this has been raised in the Army bugs thread to determine if it is intentional or not? (Nourkias not having Haris, that is)

12. RobertShepherd

RobertShepherd Antipodean midwit

My vague understanding is that its been asked and is intentional.

13. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

Army 7 bugfixing has also dropped off significantly since release week, and there are some issues that look like real bugs to me that haven’t been addressed.

14. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

Folks, it’s on the previous page of this thread. :joy:

15. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

I’m afraid this one is likely to come up as a point if confusion fairly often.

16. paraelix

paraelix Seed Embryo Scholar

I'd apparently read this thread before - clicking in took me to the second page where Kiyomasa and Rob discussed again, so I didn't freshly read through the posts regarding Nourkias on the first page :astonished:

ijw likes this.
  17. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

The flip-side is that, at the same time as there are multiple people complaining about newer characters being supersets of existing units, the one who isn’t a superset and therefore gives the original unit a place, is being complained about for not being a superset of the unit. :-(

And yes, I know it’s not the same people, but it’s still depressing.

18. Iver

Iver Human Plus

I may not be a CA player, but I play against OCF regularly and can't help but point out the absolute silliness that is the Xeodron's Ava 4. With Bioimmunity being as good as it is now, Xeodrons are very hard to deal with. TAG spam can be terrifying.

bloodw4ke and El tito Zylito like this.
  19. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

Mind you, those Xeodrons demand a Legate for a Haris, so at best you will have 1 haris and 2 individual Xeodrons, with a Dr Worm, a Total Reaction bot, 2 Imetrons, and maybe 1-2 servant bugs... and the Multi/K1 Xeo's will be prime hacking targets to be used against the others.

The Geckos, in Corregidor, have Duo natively and AVA4, plus +1R Multi Rifle... and have a Tomcat Engineer that can enter using Parachutist, then there's Jazz, the Moran, and can even do the Duo with a Tsyklon instead of the Gecko for Repeater + Pitcher coverage...

While I agree, it's the odd option the one that buggers people the most. Personally, giving him a Duo would be interesting (to make a Duo with another Umbra, or Kerr Nau, or a Xeodron...), since only the Suryats can in Onyx

20. Iver

Iver Human Plus

They laugh at their own multi/k1 ammo though, due to their bioimmunity. True, a list with a strong hacker presence takes it down, but they are solid against all other answers people may have against heavy armor.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation