1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Expanse is canceled, long live The Expanse!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic English' started by Icchan, May 12, 2018.

1. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Day in, Day out. Day in, Day out. Day in, DAY OUT

And it, Ravenloft -- the module and the setting, was all garbage, like everything else from the Hickmans. Pure railroading, story-telling garbage. Not that I have a strong opinion one way or the other. :face_with_rolling_eyes:

The Roci is listed as 1:500 scale. The Stealthship is 1:1000. I suppose one could ask if it was possible to get an enlarged version. Scaling up a digital file should not be too tough. ( I guess.)

There is an Expanse board game. From WizKids. Anyone played it?

2. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

Scaling the file is easy, adjusting the details is a different matter, unless you want a chunky print. Also, at Shapeways, you have to play the optimization game (now with extra guessing) or will pay lots more for 2x size (in some cases 8x, in others and specially with new hidden pricing schema... go figure). Tough times at Shapeways, check the forums, new CEO, lots of things upside down or bad (shipping nightmares...).

3. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

I'd actually rather have a 1:1000 scale Roci. That's the scale for all the small craft in the new Jovian Wars game by DP9. Though I'd play using the Lightning Strike rules instead.

chromedog likes this.
  4. Lothlanathorian

Lothlanathorian Not a custom title

And White Dwarf started as a D&D support mag before Warhammer was a thing, and that was just D&D backwards, as D&D evolved from a larger battle game and Gygax wanted to being able to play as a single soldier with his friends in that battle.

chromedog likes this.
  5. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Day in, Day out. Day in, Day out. Day in, DAY OUT

Say, here's a link to a quickstarter pdf for The Expanse RPG. http://greenronin.fetchapp.com/permalink/9d9d05 There may also be a crowd-funded project too, that funded rather quickly, but y'know that the forum has rules about linking to such things. Green Ronin is behind it. You can track down the links if you want.

I have no comment about Green Ronin. Or about the Blue Rose RPG. But if you like the AGE system, then maybe you'll like this Expanse RPG.

6. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

There were some kids at school who played it back in the mid 80s when it was newish (the module).
    I didn't (still don't) "do" D&D.

I also know one ex-WHFB Vampire kingdoms player who called his Vamp general "Strahd von Zarovich" who may have played that game, though.

Apart from minor dalliances with mass-battle fantasy R&F games, SF has always been my primary gaming thing.

7. chromedog

Season 5 starts filming around Toronto next month, just letting folks know.
    Season 4 airs on the 13th December, Amazon prime (worldwide) - so late 13th/14th for us on the other side of the planet.

8. ev0k

ev0k Well-Known Member

Very good news !

9. chromedog

It took me 3-4 days to get through S4.
    (I can't binge even a 10 episode season in one hit. I need to take breaks every few episodes). It improved the story from the book (and brought Bobbie Draper's novella story into the fold as well since she doesn't really have much to do in book 4.).

10. Lady Numiria

Lady Numiria Cyberius TaskForce

After binge watching the first 3 season before sitting until the release of season 4, I have to admit I disliked a little this new season.

Between questionnable camera filming choices and the production transfer from one to another between S3 and S4, it gave the same feeling as playing Mass Effect Trilogy then ME Andromeda: you know it's your favorite usual serie, it has all the elements, but somehow you kinda end up disappointed and angry at it.

Still looking forward to S5 since this season was really slow and not so big in terms of revelations and story.

11. sonicReducer

sonicReducer Well-Known Member

I'm trying to decide if I should read book 3 and 4 before watching season 4.

12. chromedog

What production transfer?
    SAME production team. Amazon only funded it. It was STILL MADE by the same production company that made S1-3. Alcon Entertainment have made ALL 5 seasons (S5 is in post production).

As for it being slow? Read Cibola Burn (book 4). Not a whole hell of a lot happens in the book.
    Unlike the first 3. It's a break from the frenetic that the previous lot were before things heat up again.

Having never played ANY Mass effect, I am unfamiliar with that comparison metric.
    Is it something to do with how "fans" of anything tend to hope and build up their expectations of what the next one "should be" that when it ends up not being anything like this, get crushingly disappointed and angry at something they had no control over whatsoever? Emotional investment =/= OWNERSHIP of a property.

Dragonstriker likes this.
  13. Lady Numiria

Lady Numiria Cyberius TaskForce

Objectively, no there is some flaws and artistic decisions that are weird here, and then if the original book is slow, I guess it's less a problem when reading the book than following the course of a serie.

As for liking and being a "fan", I think you misundertand me. I'm a good client usually and I appreciate things easily. I'm rarely disappointed until there is serious reasons to. As I said here, I liked this season but it was very hard to keep being interrested in through all of it because not all the substories are equal in quality, and I'll be waiting S5 to look further the story.

14. Dragonstriker

Dragonstriker That wizard came from the moon.

No. It’s how ME1-3 were strongly story driven, had (mostly) genuine player agency and had endearing characters. ME:A had none of those, was glitchy and until 1.11 had terrible animations for npcs with laughable dialogue, e.g. “my face is tired”.

15. chromedog

Meh, all the footage of the ME games I've seen looked all pretty samey to me. They ALL have a bad case of BRF.

but, I'm NOT a vidjagamethingy player outside of playing a handful of games in the last 20 years, and finishing less than half of them. Mostly they couldn't hold my interest long enough to finish them. If I want an rpg experience, I'll grab some friends, we'll sit around a table, roll some dice and swap shite stories. I'm never going to get THAT experience from a videogame.

I also know, from 40 years in fandom, that fan expectations DO blow everything out of proportion and always fail to live up to reality. Regardless of the movie series, book series or whatever.

Take the good bits you like, discard the shite, move on. Life gets easier when you learn to stop giving a crap about the minutiae.

16. DrunkCorsair

DrunkCorsair Well-Known Member

A series where the end of ME 3 had to be completly redone after a massive shitstorm, cause all your choices ended in different colored explosions where the story didnt even matter.
    But tell me what story should they have told after ME 3? I am curios.
    Personly i think ME Andromeda wasnt bad. The story had a good idea, you had the humor of the orginals (still love Krogans), just too epic where you could have gone smaller in scale with more drama.

I still have to catch up with the series buut it sounds promising, even if peopel thiung a season with slow speed is boring it wont be as boring as the 3/4 of the LotR books.

chromedog likes this.
  17. Dragonstriker

Dragonstriker That wizard came from the moon.

I don’t think they should have continued Mass Effect after ME:3.
    It was created as a setting for an epic story and the story was done.
    I know epic stories sell well, but personally I’m quite over them. I’d like a sandbox or a small scale “go adventuring and get rich”, explore the unknown, solve a mystery or get revenge rpg rather than another “save the world” storyline.

I haven’t replayed ME3 for the altered ending; did it make a significant difference? In the original version “synthesis” was the only choice remotely consistent with the path my Shepherd had followed in the trilogy.

18. DrunkCorsair

DrunkCorsair Well-Known Member

I dont want to derail this thread to much.
    I think the new endings made it replayable, but i tend to do take the same choices anyways but i would only replay ME 3 with ME2 with the added choices for ME 1.

Personly i like the universe and the humor, thats why i bought ME Andromeda on sale, i didnt expect much, but i dont read reviews of anything neither books, films, videogames etc. thats why i thought its a nice game for me.

Personly i think the story had a realy good idea. Take the setting and move it 600+ years and into another galaxy so you could cut nearly everything from the first trilogy and starting a new story.
    Thats something all new Star Wars movies would have needed (except Rogue One which is the only one that worked with the original Trilogy in my eyes).

Personly i would have prefered if the story would have started different.
    Well you come into a new galaxy and there is already a giant sized space station to support you. Thats an idea i dont realy like.
    I would have prefered if you would be the first to coem into that galaxy and have to do preperations for said space station with a timer. Small team etc. something like the first Fallout did with the water chip.
    That would have made you a true pathfinder and less epic.

Sorry got longer than i wanted.

Dragonstriker likes this.
  19. csjarrat

csjarrat Well-Known Member

Playing through Andromeda at the moment. Picked it u for less than a tenner and it's enjoyable enough. Thankfully all the bugs have been patched now and it runs nicely. Saw the horrific bugs at launch and avoided it.
    Seems to be the norm nowadays, had to put phoenix point on the back burner as that another one that's been launched waaaay too early

20. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Been playing Phoenix Point a LOT. There's a few bugs in it, but the major complaints for me have been a few gameplay issues; pleasingly enough nearly all of them were shared by modders so I could patch it myself through what I could find on Nexus Mods (including the extremely weak vehicles and the lack of preview for soldier abilities when recruiting)
    That said, Scyllas tend to destroy maps so much that the game can't load the map, so be careful when managing your saves so you don't wreck your playthrough by accidentally nuking the pre-mission auto-save.

Also, Infiltrator class is OP as hell when combined with Thief soldier perk. 100% Stealth means I can have a soldier go up to an enemy and punch them to death without them being able to retaliate (unless they can spawn mist or AOE attack)

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation