1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any love for Oberon?

Discussion in 'Legendary Bahadurs' started by csjarrat, Mar 17, 2019.

1. csjarrat

csjarrat Well-Known Member

Chucked him down a couple of times since I bought him but found him largely underwhelming. Anyone got any good news stories from using him?

2. treiral

treiral Midnight poster

Which part did you find underwhelming? Anybody I speak to only says good things about him. Having draw advantage is huge, but he can also silence, :S:dazzle, and :I:stun anybody in :SL:close proximity.

3. csjarrat

Just felt really situational. None of the stuff he did in the games I used him in seemed that important, felt that a bill or mushasi or someone would have been more useful

4. Roadrunner7431

Roadrunner7431 Well-Known Member

Designer Jesús Fuster said in a recent interview that he and the entire CB team designed a game where the expansions would add extra layers of interest but would never diminish the utility of the CoreSet. There is a Youtube game in Spanish at "Ecos del Hexadome" where you can watch host Juan Lara use Wild Bill and Oberon together to get an overwhelming advantage in Tactics. Granted he somehow keeps the fragile Oberon from spending precious time in the Infirmary.

HarlequinOfDeath likes this.
  5. csjarrat

Yeah this was the problem I think, I had to keep him out of the way to keep him alive but in doing so, he just wasn't relevant. He probably needs smoke or something to keep him up but then I'm using a support character to support a support character and I probably should just have used someone else lol

6. rag1n

rag1n Well-Known Member
    Aristeia! Warcor

I will start by saying that I haven't had much of a chance to play Oberon but I sort of view him as a more offensively minded support.

This is all going to be theoretical so please take this with a grain of salt. Also this won't cover the entirety of Oberon's skill set. There is actually so much to discuss about this guy.

Because Oberon silences skills, I'd take Oberon primarily to shut down the opponent's main support like Hexxer, Gata and Laxmee who all rely on their low cost skills in order to be relevant in the hexadome. Other heroes that rely on movement skills like Bixie, Taowu, Max (Automatic skill to displace on Movement), Kozmo, Murtair and probably more have the

Personally I would almost always take Oberon if my opponent were to take hexxer. Silencing Vade Retro would be so sweet

Oberon is obviously very weak; 2 :4:and :-::): for defense is actually abysmal and at first glance is probably the second most fragile Aristo in the game at this point in time after Taowu.

This is made up for with a high initiative (6:Y:) ; Oberon can activate before a lot of pure supports, Gata being the exception. Ignoring Gata, you can see that Oberon dominates any other support as long as he activates before them. This creates a very interesting meta game for your opponent where they may want to push their supports earlier in their activation order to avoid being silenced by Oberon before they can do their thing. This is an interesting mechanic where the very threat of Oberon throws a spanner in the works of any plan. All of a sudden you have to be guessing which activation position your opponent is going to place Oberon that will limit the impact of his presence in the game.

Oberon doesn't want to be near the fight nor does he need to be. Much like Laxmee, Oberon should trail the outskirts. With the threat of his silence he creates his own zone of control but unlike Laxmee Oberon will suffer from a lack of movement options because of the difference in switches. This is made up by having higher base :U: than Laxmee. Another relevant comparison between Laxmee and Oberon is that Laxmee's D/buffer takes 1 :E: whereas Oberon's 'You'll forget when waking' takes 2 :E:. With the ability to Silence, :S: and :I: from Range 5 :SL: the only reason an opponent will go near Oberon is to frag him and if they choose to they almost certainly will.

When you aren't the Underdog, Oberon will be in trouble against other high :Y: characters like Wild Bill, Mushashi and even Parvati (to a certain degree) so you'll either have to cover him to keep him alive with Max, Smoke or :O: (to a certain extent). The other option is to accept that Oberon will get fragged but only by significant and perhaps some over investment by your opponent. This is certainly a key consideration to make whilst picking Oberon.

When to pick Oberon:
    • To counter dominant low cost skills in an opponent's squad.
    • To limit movement via skills and automatic skills
    • When you want to draw lots of tactics
    • Against a low initiative opponent
    I know there's a lot there and it's not even all covered. When I get a game in I'll make sure to give Oberon a go and add some further thoughts in a later post

#6 rag1n, Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  7. Numazokola

Numazokola Well-Known Member

I think looking for a tactic is a BIG advantage... massacre epic regen; valkirie +3 mov; max scram; or the classic NO! just to say some examples can change the game on your favor. then dont forget the passive... an extra yellow for wild bill's switch, more taunts for prysm, more fire for mendoza.

maybe is not your style. but i've seen a player with hannibal/oberon combo playing his deck twice. YES TWICE!

csjarrat and rag1n like this.
  8. rag1n

rag1n Well-Known Member
    Aristeia! Warcor

Your additions are very relevant.

I've played my deck twice heaps of times using Hannibal and Wild Bill as a combo but yes Oberon could do the exact same thing

9. krotos

krotos Well-Known Member

Obiron passive only works with Simole rolls(green label)
    Also Gata doesn't counter him with Dazzled, because he doesn't use LOS

10. rag1n

rag1n Well-Known Member
    Aristeia! Warcor

Are you sure about dazzled?

Dazzled - Targets affected by this state cannot draw Line of Sight beyond the :L: 0-1 range.

This doesn't affect 'You will forget when waking'?

11. zlavin

zlavin Well-Known Member

You dont draw Line of Sight to use skills whit :SL:range, so Dazzle :S: dont affect those skills.

#11 zlavin, Mar 18, 2019
  12. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

Oberon is insanely good vs opponents who frequently use Gata and especially Prysm. Nothing's more frustrating than having your support/control characters be forced to waste actions on Contender and what have you. Silence on her Taunt Passive that forces you to attack her, makes her almost useless. Also, Gata is surprisingly "slow" when she's no longer allowed to use Freerun.

13. rag1n

rag1n Well-Known Member
    Aristeia! Warcor

thats crazy! Thank you

14. treiral

treiral Midnight poster

I just want to point out that Aristos with :W::-::.: (hEXx3r) are actually weaker (in terms of :1:) than :W::-::):. And I get the feeling that :W::.::.::): (Laxmee) is actually even worse. And then we have shenanigans like Gata and Prysm's switches that remove :2:.

Roadrunner7431 likes this.
  15. rag1n

rag1n Well-Known Member
    Aristeia! Warcor

For hexxer absolutely. Thanks for pointing that out. I definitely could have researched more before typing that out. Still, though, this is creating a great discussion and reinforcing/fixing my knowledge

For Laxmee, yes, marginally (average 1 :.:= 0.3333.... :1: thus making 2 average :.: 0.66666.... :1: and average 1 :-:= 0.83333.. :1:). I actually quite like Laxmee's defense roll more. With a few more dice added you can very easily turn your defensive roll in to a defensive frag. Especially so if you play Atom.

#15 rag1n, Mar 18, 2019
  16. Flipswitch

Flipswitch Sepsitorised by Intent

I actually found him surprisingly good, he isn't my playstyle at all but he is a huge pain in the ass when on the other side of the table.

csjarrat likes this.
  17. Fathi Amirmoez

Fathi Amirmoez Active Member

Yeah, as others have said, 6 initiative and 5 move are nothing to sniff at, let alone being able to draw without fail those game-defining tactics (No!, Code: Audible, Amputate, Atom, etc.) on turn 1.
    Silence/stunned is just the icing on the cake.

csjarrat and AdmiralJCJF like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation