1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IJW's Infinitely Long Painting Thread

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by ijw, Nov 27, 2017.

1. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

While undercoating Pringles Tower this afternoon I got the 'final'* five Nomad models undercoated as well:

[​IMG]

The Specktr Sniper is white as I'm going to have a go at a model that's uncloaking from TO camo, for the painting competition. A bit over-ambitious but worth a try...

*Final as in the rest of the assembled models, ignoring the blisterpacks wrapped for another few weeks...

With apologies to Angel's original paint scheme, here's my uncloaking mockup:

[​IMG]

lazovchik, Koin-Koin and Section9 like this.
  2. ijw

Ian's Painting Pledge!

http://wargamingtrader.com/paint-one-youre

The purple sections on the Spitfire Tsyklon are done, huzzah! Taking a leaf out of Magno's Creamsicle cookbook these are a bit brighter than the infantry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the base-coloured one:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the Clockmaker:

[​IMG]

And all the paints involved in the purple:

[​IMG]

As previously mentioned, the base coat was a couple of thinnish coats of foundation purple mixed with Liche Purple. For shading I started by going over most of the area with some thinned Liche Purple, then multiple very thin layers of Liche mixed with Tentacle Pink, laying up more paint where I wanted it to be lighter, then another 2-3 layers with increasing amounts of Tentacle Pink and white added in.

To finish off, some Tentacle Pink and white mix in very thin lines on some of the edges and corners.

Very pleased with the results!

Xeurian, Koin-Koin and Section9 like this.
  3. ijw

The metallic sections are done, at least on the legs.

Back to the uncloaking Spektr, given that a certain painting competition deadline is looming...

At the moment I'm still making it up as I go along, with the mockup image as a rough guide. To start with I decided to add some tonality to the model with a very pale grey wash followed by a slightly darker wash.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The base then got a black & chestnut wash over the metallics, and a black edge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The base got a light drybrushing of Boltgun, and a couple of thin layers of Spearstaff Brown over the peachy-coloured under colour - the cable will end up being yellow and black hazard stripes.

The model itself has been highlighted back up to white.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not sure of the route from here, but it makes a nice change working with a white undercoat again...

Section9 likes this.
  4. ijw

The cable now has black and yellow stripes and shading/highlighting, but will still need some weathering, and the section parallel to the cable will need to be some other colour.

I've merged the model's colour going down the legs to match the base, but it needs a black glaze to get rid of the metallics I added to the leg, then cross-hatching can be painted on the lower parts of the leg to match the metal sheeting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In a slight change of plan, the uncloaking will be happening around mid-torso so that I get to use the big flat area of the back to show it breaking down. One idea I've had is to have the interface between cloaked areas and uncloaked areas glowing electric-arc blue, but we'll see...

Section9 likes this.
  5. ijw

The lower legs have now had a covering wash/glaze of black-through-grey up the legs to hide the metallic traces, unfortunately it made the blending slightly less smooth. The sniper rifle has had a dark grey base coat followed by a thick black wash, this will be highlighted and then washed again. Any bits that look like the wash on the gun is missing is reflections, the wash was still slightly wet when the photos were taken.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've added no-slip cross-hatching to the foot, shin and calf, using bright silver mixed with some foundation grey as the silver by itself wasn't visible enough:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It might not be visible in the photos, but the marks on the foot follow the marks on the base exactly.

Section9 likes this.
  6. ijw

(Now on to March 2011)

I may go back to the stripes on the lower legs, but depending on the rest of the figure I'm also happy to have them subtle/need to be looked for.

The Multi Sniper Rifle is pretty much done now:

[​IMG]

I've also mapped out the transition of the cloaking field breaking down. The pale areas (apart from the untouched head) will have hints of broken spectrum across them plus blue-lit edges. The black areas will be painted as if it were a normal figure. Quickly, given that it's two days from the deadline...

[​IMG]

Section9 likes this.
  7. ijw

The 'normal' part of the model is pretty much finished now apart from a few gems. Still to go is the electric-blue edging to the collapsing field plus blue light spilling onto the model underneath.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nekokoneko & PS - the fractal-style edge felt like the best way of making it look like a randomly breaking down field.

oldschoolmonk - as you can see, the normal part of the model won't be blending into the base.

I'm calling this one finished, but I may have to try again with what's been learned - it was that bit too ambitious...

I got the TO done this afternoon with a spectrum of colours working down the model but it was too messy and the transitions on the back got too dark too quickly and the spectrum looked too muddy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I spent the evening going over most of the back and middle again, reducing the spectrum and making it all blue. Unfortunately the surface is now getting quite rough from all the overpainting. Ah well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note the gem effect on the gunsight...

8. ijw

After a Spektr-induced break, I've started on the last four undercoated infantry (The Lunokhod is still only black + metallics): two Zondbots and two Koalas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The purple base coat is done but now needs to be taken up to match the nearly-finished Tsyklon with some Tentacle Pink...

Next up, Faster Koala! Kill! Kill!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The idea with the yellow head was to have mirror-image diagonal black-and-yellow hazard stripes, but I quite like it as-is.

Now with red eyes and neon-green claws to echo the green details on the infantry:

[​IMG]

I tried doing a rotating sonar blip in the front circle of the head but it was just too small so it's black again.

9. ijw

Second Koala is mostly done, showing the light brown undercoat for the yellow area:

[​IMG]

Zondbots base-coated:

[​IMG]

And eyes on the first Koala highlighted:

[​IMG]

Say hello to the Wascally Dastardly Cwazy Koala - and his evil twin brother!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. ijw

One of the Zondbots is a few steps closer to being finished:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Several areas of purple still to be highlighted around the top of the model but my brush-holding concentration is done in for the day...

Koin-Koin and Section9 like this.
  11. ijw

Nearly finished Zondbot, I still need to shade and highlight the green details and work out what colour to do the feet:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plus a view of my painting set up, I've taken to mixing all the shades (well watered down) at once and then doing each panel completely before moving to the next panel/section of the model:

[​IMG]

Now a bonus shot from last night's games, the opposing Lieutenant going down to a carefully-planned Light Firethrower shot before the Tomcat Engineer got blown into a red mist by the Haramaki link team:

[​IMG]

The first Zondbot is now finished with some shading and highlighting on the green details, some tiny red eyes and a small amount of black-lining where colours had overlapped:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plus I've restarted work on the Tsyklon, the black parts of the upper half are now black again and the rear turbines painted dark yellow, as with the Koalas with a Foundation Tallarn Flesh base coat plus a couple of thin coats of watered down Leprous Brown/Golden Yellow mix (old clear hex-pot era):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let's see if I can get this Tsyklon, the second Zondbot, the second Tsyklon and the Lunokhod done before my 50% Army Deals turn up...

12. ijw

(Now on to April 2011.)

Almost a week since the last update! [​IMG] I've been putting off the rest of the Tsyklons, worrying that I wont match that fantastic purple. Enough procrastination, the yellow and black sections are now done:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As with the Koalas, the plan was to do diagonal hazard stripes on the turbine housings, but with the black separators it would look a bit odd.

The 'screen' on the front will be dark green-yellow with some reflective effects painted on. All the little lights still need doing, as do the guns but I've no idea what to do with the guns, maybe make them dark red to stand out a bit.

Woo! Finished Tsyklon! The top part is even glued on now.

[​IMG]

The green 'windscreen' worked well but the diagonal stripes ended up a bit coarse. I'm quite pleased with the lighting effects around the lights, especially the split-colour lights on the front ends of the sides - 'Turning left!'. The red cowling on the guns picks them out to my satisfaction, they were getting too lost.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now some lower views:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know it's the wrong Sputnik chassis, but here it is with the Koalas:

[​IMG]

And hanging off the side of a container:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Xeurian and Section9 like this.
  13. ijw

Group shot time.

The finished models (apart from the Interventor's hair):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The unfinished models:

[​IMG]

No more models in the first batch with just undercoat!* The Lunokhod is now base-coloured, a good thing given that it's the Remote that I never leave home without!

[​IMG]

The Lunokhod will look less purple from the front than the Tsyklons as it doesn't have the long 'ears' of the side-pieces coming down past the the windscreen area.

*Apart from the Lunokhod's two weapon packs which are cleaned and magnetised but not undercoated yet. That'll be happening real soon now...

14. ijw

I've been doing a bit of work on the Szalamandra from the army pack, not cleaned up yet but the feet are pinned ready for the base and I'm planning a weapon swap as the 'six holes drilled roughly in a disc' HMC just doesn't do it for me. Rotary cannon are much more appealing. [​IMG]

I'm going to cut off the first 5mm or so to the second indentation and add an Assault Cannon barrel instead:

[​IMG]

Plus I picked up some Zinge Inustries flexible resin ammo feeds as recommended in the recent Szally thread, they're really nice with a wire core and one of the belts has just the right V-shaped link profile to fit both ends on the model:

[​IMG]

Here's progress so far, the end of the gun/arm has been removed and the new gun pinned but not yet glued in place:

[​IMG]

Plus, for scale to show how ginormous this thing is, one of my acquisitions from Salute this weekend:

[​IMG]

Now something completely different - an Odalisque which was a right pain to put together, behind that gun she's now missing half her right breast and there's still a big gap that will need filling on the right upper arm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Section9 likes this.
  15. ijw

The first three assembled Haqq: Ghulam (will be a Doctor via a white armband with Red Crescent), sitting Djanbazan with Sniper Rifle and Odalisque with Boarding Shotgun:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think I've already mentioned the Odalisque being a pain to assemble due to having to remove much of the right breast etc. but the Djanbazan was far worse, the pieces as supplied simply don't fit together. In the end I carved away several areas where the torso and legs join at the waist, then had to take big chunks out of the upright knee, the area under the forearms where they meet the knee, the nub on the right shoulder, the back of the rifle magazine and parts of the joint at the left elbow.

Plus after all that handling the barrel was getting very weak so I removed, pinned and re-added it. Even the Tyklons were easy compared to those two models... [​IMG]

The gaps on the Odalisque have been filled, I still need to fill gaps on the Djanbazan and texture the bases before it's time to undercoat.

The Djanbazan's elbow is now filled and the Odalisque is on a base. Here's the undersides of all three with bases attached, as the concave part of the base is over 2mm I glued a thin bit of card down first so that the magnets would be closer to being flush with the bottom:

[​IMG]

Base texturing is the last thing to do now before undercoating them!

Note that the Odalisque's 'foot pin' has extra material around it under the base to make things more rigid because the surface area where the foot meets the base is so small.

16. ijw

By the way, this is what I'm using as inspiration for my Haqqislam colour scheme:

[​IMG]

http://colorschemedesigner.com/#1p523tZvvw0w0

A very handy site for working out colour combinations. The greens will probably end up more like the olives to the left of the big brighter green block though.

Meanwhile, basing! I made up a mix of textured paint, PVA glue, a few different grades of sand and some flock in preparation for the desert bases:

[​IMG]

Thanks to the sand it turned out to be lumpier than I'd anticipated, I may have to do another batch with more flock and less sand:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally for now, undercoat at last!

[​IMG]

Section9 likes this.
  17. ijw

A thin sandy/olive/khaki mix painted over the whole base with some more grey mixed in for the stones:

[​IMG]

Several washes were mixed on the palette and then applied to different areas of each base to give a variation of colour:

[​IMG]

Finally a couple of light layers of drybrushing:

[​IMG]

Haqqislam, now with added green and metallics!

[​IMG]

Quite a lot still to do by Saturday, though...

Section9 likes this.
  18. ijw

(May 2011)

Realising that I didn't really have any sandy-colour paints, Tuesday saw a visit to Clifton Road Games, my FLGS to pick up some more Vallejo paints. Some yellow/brown/sand colours along the top, some mid-grey to desaturate them slightly, orange and red for the Odalisque and yet another green. Did I say that I really like greens? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nothing new on the Ghulam, but the Djanbazan and Odalisque have had some areas base coated pale green:

[​IMG]

Thanks to a bit of prompting from Magno's excellent painting tips thread I've finally tried out a wet palette and it's fantastic, how did I manage without?

[​IMG]

Pale green areas shaded:

[​IMG]

Most of the yellow, sand & brown areas are now base-coated. I would normally work on a single colour at a time, but time is running too short...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here, have some more!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sandy and brown areas are pretty much done, after some of the sand colour mixed with dark brown and then a wash of Devlan Mud. The Ghulam's trousers had Devlan Mud painted on in the shadow areas as applying it all over would destroy the cleanness of the colour.

Section9 likes this.
  19. ijw

Now with greys and dark green. The grey has been shaded and highlighted but doesn't show up much in the photos. The dark green is just a single coat and will be highlighted up from that colour.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I now have three blisterpack wet palettes, one each for yellow/brown, greens and greys. [​IMG]

The Odalisque hasn't had much extra done as the rest of her will mostly be reds, oranges and maybe browns.

Thanks everyone for the advice on skin tones, it helped!

Here is the finished Ghulam, mostly finished Djanbazan and partially done Odalisque:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll have to do some better photos, the Ghulam's skin isn't as swarthy as that and the red areas on the Odalisque are more muted. The Odalisque will be getting black (with a slight blue shine) hair, the yellow areas on the 'skirt' will probably be orange and the strapping on the legs may end up purple.

Xeurian and Section9 like this.
  20. ijw

More assembled:

[​IMG]

So I now have...

Painted: Ghulam/Doctor, Djanbazan Sniper.

Mostly painted: Odalisque Shotgun.

Assembled: Naffatūn

Section9 likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation