1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting ready for new campaign

Discussion in 'Scenery' started by Shingen, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Shingen

Shingen Well-Known Member

With new campaign which shall take place in space-corridors of Human Edge stations imminent and Defiance looming on the horizon, I decided to take on the idea of ‘spaceship’ table once again, but approach from a different angle this time round.

The design ideas were more or less this:

- all components have to be 3d printed,

- printing time has to be manageable (there are tons of free and commercial designs of the corridors which take tens of hours to print 4” module),

- it has to allow building corridors and rooms of any sizes,

- it has to allow to build curved corridors,

- it has to be easy to paint,

- it has to take as little storage space as possible (that is my second greatest complain about all drangon-lock and similar solutions, they took tones of space to store),

- it should be set possible to set up a table in reasonable time.

- It should allow for building of higher levels (future project).

What you see bellow took:

- 40h of design and prototyping,

- ca. 140-150h of printing,

- ca. 20h of painting,

- 32 min of set up.

All components weigh 2,2 kg and fit comfortably in shoes box.

That would be it for description, photos time (one disclaimer here: I had major problems with lighting the scenes properly, the sun was already too low as it shows).

Initial set:

[​IMG]

Full layout:

[​IMG]

Leftovers:

[​IMG]

Couple of action photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1 Shingen, Sep 8, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    Hjard, timberfox, Arloid and 10 others like this.
  2. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

*Sees shot from above*
    "That's functional, nice, it looks a bit plain though"
    *Sees eye level view shots"
    "Nevermind, that's awesome :grinning:"

You did a great job painting them, what did you use for the line of screens at the middle?

3. ThananRollice

ThananRollice Your Friendly Neighborhood Locust
    Warcor

Awesome job with these! I'm curious if you've posted the files somewhere like Thingiverse. I'd love to give your designs a try!

4. Shingen

@jherazob Thanks man!

That is actually quite easy. Internet has thousands if not tens of thousands of designs of various star ship interfaces, wallpapers, command centre screens etc. Just google for any pictures connected with similar phrases, I did just that and ended up with like 150 different designs that I liked.

Then simply cropped pieces that were most interesting for me, cranked contrast up and scaled them to desired size. Printed on normal paper on laser printer, then smeared translucent gloss mod-podge over them and voila!

If you care to look closely you’ll find that I even used Secure HVT card from deck designed by @Captain Spud.

@ThananRollice Thanks for good words.

I haven’t published those anywhere yet. This will require more than a bit of work, the set has like 20 files, I think I’ll need to create a manual for people to get a hang of it. But if there is interest in that design, I may as well get to work.

jherazob likes this.
  5. Shingen

ThananRollice and jherazob like this.
  6. Captain Spud

Captain Spud Maker of Things

SUED.

SupersexyJohn and jherazob like this.
  7. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Day in, Day out. Day in, Day out. Day in, DAY OUT

^^^un peu ambigu, ma petite capitaine pomme de terre ( <--pardon my use of Canadian here, instead of English). Are you suing or has CB sued you -- for using their IP?

Those turned out nicely. Do you have plans for any more scatter terrain, consoles, etc.?

8. Shingen

@Captain Spud I wouldn’t expect anything less, bring it on ;)

@Red Harvest I will stay out of your Canadian quarrels if you allow me ;)

Thank you for good words, and yes you’re right that the layout presented above begs for some scatter terrain pieces, the best of which would probably be some “furniture” characteristic for secret laboratories or spaceships (consoles, auto-medics, pumps, generators etc.). That being said I don’t actually put those high on my list of priorities. Thingiverse and alike hold many different designs readily available not to mention designers selling .stl around the Internet. Myself, I’ve joined Kickstarter of Outpost Origins by Dragon’s Rest several months ago and those guys delivered top quality models in that theme in spades. TBH that Kickstarter inspired me to design my walls in the first place (their approach to corridors, while aesthetically pleasing stand in opposition to pretty much every single bullet point I listed in the first post here). So in short I feel like designing such things would be superfluous.

At this point my priorities are following:

- Catwalks/ladders/pillars,

- 2nd level walls (new décor),

- bigger doors (currently there are no doors for S4 and for S6 models in the set, which I’d like to have)

- wall design for more utilitarian areas (warehouses, storage areas),

- HVAC tunnels,

Also every now and then I come up with ideas for variations of current designs, just to break up monotony like with those prototypes bellow:

[​IMG]

Anyway, in case any of you have any ideas what to add, please share, I’m always looking for inspiration.

#8 Shingen, Sep 10, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  9. FireFangs

FireFangs Space Oni

I'm canadian and I have no idea where you got that expression.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation