1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Combined "must buys"/cool things

Discussion in 'Combined Army' started by overread, Dec 5, 2020.

1. overread

overread New Member

So just wondering what things you would consider worth getting first with regard to the Combined Army. Models that see use in most lists (sectorial/general); token or other item/game aid packs - all the way through to cool limited edition models or such that CB makes.

Basically a sort of catch all-all comers shopping list of neat things.

I've already seen (picked up and read) Betrayal with Ko Dali model and I'm aware of a limited Aida Swanson from one of the tournament packs (though looking around the UK side she seems very rare/hard to get). I've also started gleaning that "Dr Worm"* is a very popular chap.

In another thread I've been advised that Third Offensive is full of general lore on the war with CA and there's also the Modiphius RPG who currently have a digital version of the faction book for CA (and talking to their customer service it sounds like the physical will be on the general market early next year).

*Med-tech Obsidon Medchanoid

2. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

Depending on what parts of the army you find most interesting, I'd suggest starting with, well, the starters. There are three of them, and they all have some nice sculpts of useful profiles, targeting each of the three sectorials. (The vanilla Combined Army starter is effectively an Onyx Contact Force starter)

After that, it really depends on what you want to play. Buying suggestions will be different depending on if you plan to play Vanilla, Morats, Shasvastii, or Onyx.

3. Surmelk

Surmelk Well-Known Member

Models which i see in most listet and would consider staple:
    - 1-3 Rems. Proxy them for flashbots and TRbot
    - 2 imetrons
    - bit &kiss
    - liberto
    - med-tech
    - slave drone
    -1 caliban
    - 1-2 shrouded
    - 1 daturazi

AdmiralJCJF and DaRedOne like this.
  4. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

The common items between all sectorials are: Dr Worm box, Imetron & Imetron blister (x2), remotes box (I have 1 EVO and 1 TR mounted). After this, it depends entirely on gameplay and preferences but more or less it would be (in blue, those that also go in vanilla; in red, those that also go into Onyx, and in green those that go both in vanilla and onyx):

• UR/vanilla
    Charontid, Avatar.
    • Morat
    Daturazi, Vanguards (1-3), Anyat, Raicho, Yaogat, Rasyat, Raktorak, Suryats, Dropsuit Taryot, Kornak, Zerat,
    • Shasvastii
    Malignos, Shrouded, Speculo, noctifer, Cadmus, Sphinx, caliban (camo engineer near the middle of the table, quite needed when playing with TAGs), Sheskiin, nox (1-3), Mentor, Taigha, Messer, Tensho,
    • Onyx
    Greif, Fraacta, Unidron, Overdron/Xeodron, Bit & Kiss, Kerr Nau, Nexus,

Those are "core" options, that you will want to have at hand and assemble a list around them more often than not (but not necessarily at the same time). Other profiles are good, but not necessarily somethign you would use in 70% or more of your lists.

Aside from shasvastii, usually the best option is to buy the "SWC box" and blisters instead of the starter box

Third offensive is crap. Almost all the paragraphs follow the same structure of describing humanity (90% of the time) doing something (good or not as good) and then a "but" with the CA soing something that undoes what was said before. All is written with some detail, but looks like, in the end, there was a target number of words and the book really only got to half or so (in truth, I think the design was to release both Uprising and 3rd Off in the same book, but then split it in two and added the mercenaries and the Dire Foes missions to Uprising, and had to nearly double 3rd Off).

A much better investment of money and time is Modiphious' CA splatbook, the Paradiso splatbook, and then maybe the Tohaa splatbook.

5. DaRedOne

DaRedOne Morat Warrior Philosopher
    Warcor

These are all good ideas, but there's one caveat:
    Never use just one impetuous smoke thrower (daturazi). At 14 points they are a bit on the expensive side, but these models should always have a backup. Take 2.

xagroth likes this.
  6. overread

overread New Member

Thanks all!

DaRedOne you raise an interesting point that might well be worth its own thread to itself - which is what is the magic number for most models in terms of repeats with the same weapons. My impression looking at a few army lists is that diversity tends to be the number one factor in most groups; with some repeats being either functionaries (like the slaves for Dr Worm) or simply due to being cheap to fill cheap slots.

7. DaRedOne

DaRedOne Morat Warrior Philosopher
    Warcor

If you wanna take this to another thread, go for it, mate. We can discuss.

But really, when it comes to impetuous smoke throwers, you want two or more. Redundancy is very important for these guys. Plus, the box comes with 4 of them anyways.

8. Cranky Old Man

Cranky Old Man Well-Known Member

What’s the Greif operator provide to onyx? Just new to things so I’m genuinely interested

9. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

Depends on which loadout you're looking at. The impersonator doesn't have super strong weapons, but it does let you get a combi rifle with surprise shot right at your opponent's doorstep. It has the potential to be disruptive and remove key support pieces. On the other hand, the forward deployment options get you into a good position to immediately start chasing enemy camo markers with MSV1.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation