1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Color palette C&C

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by vorthain, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Ashen_Seeker

Ashen_Seeker Well-Known Member

I meant the first of the last two images(the one with the white)

I find it really striking and different from others Haqq
    Personally I'd go with a slighty lighter grey for the torso's side, dark gray for the cawl and leave the armour white

2. vorthain

vorthain Veteran Novice

I'm calling this guy done. Taking ideas for the base. 20200523_081754.jpg

Koin-Koin, Ben Kenobi, ETEA and 4 others like this.
  3. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

I like it, especially how the dark blue coat accents the rest of it. I know you said it's done, but were you not going to put lights in the stomach panels?

4. vorthain

vorthain Veteran Novice

I may. I was thinking they were cloth, like on Ghulams, since he's only ARM3, and I thought only metal plates got lights. But I suppose it might be metal.

On base, I want to do dark with jade/cyan to sell the cyberpunk look on raised parts, but maybe I know it needs some color...maybe rusty metal?

5. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

I gotcha, I haven't looked closely enough at the model to try and guess materials.

I do like the little glow area (color test?) on the base already. Are you planning on having the base color be black, or is that what you're asking about with the rusty metal question? I think having the entire thing be rusty might be a bit much, but if the floor is mostly metal (I'm assuming you don't mean shiny metallic paints), some rust can help break up the panels.

6. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

Industrial green with some grey chipping here and there. To contrast with the red.

I would test in the picture, doing a quick paint over.

Ashen_Seeker likes this.
  7. vorthain

vorthain Veteran Novice

Moving ahead here. Bases still works in progress. Tried green base per @Mob of Blondes but the color isn't quite it. 20200525_163050.jpg

#67 vorthain, May 25, 2020
    Last edited: May 25, 2020
    Ben Kenobi, ETEA, Oni and 4 others like this.
  8. Mob of Blondes

Darker? That one is like the green-yellow primer used in airplanes and tanks. In machine rooms you can also see tealish green or even racing green.

9. Ashen_Seeker

Ashen_Seeker Well-Known Member

I was going to say the brighter bases of the two models on the left to contrast the (prevalent) dark grey armour

Are you suggesting green to contrast with the red parts on the models and as a nod to the trousers/markings/visor?

10. vorthain

vorthain Veteran Novice

Yeah it might be too much green, with light and spot color. But cool color would be good. I'm unsure still.

11. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

I do think those models are looking pretty nice though.

12. Mob of Blondes

Nod? Reflection in the visor! The lights in the ground are a problem, though, they are too similar to the tealish green I suggested. But yes, the idea is something to contrast with the red.
    [​IMG]
    Teal.
    [​IMG]
    Pale teal.
    [​IMG]
    Racing green. Which seems to also be used for machinery.
    [​IMG]
    Plant green, and with scratches.

My guess is that all those greens come from easy formulas in the late 1800 and early 1900. The yellow green in the base is prety much like some zinc chromates used in WW2 airplanes.

13. vorthain

vorthain Veteran Novice

Still toiling away on that Lasiq weeks later. I think its its nearly done. What do you think? Mainly I'm torn on the grey. It could go lighter, which would make panels pop but green OSL might get lost. Could go darker to help OSL but that is a lot of darkness. And does it need another color for visual interest? 20200709_111734.jpg

Ben Kenobi, Mannebein, Usashi and 5 others like this.
  14. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

Ultimately it’s your model and your choice, but I think the Lasiq looks pretty good. I agree the grey may be a little flat-looking, but I’m not sure what to recommend, either. How many stages of highlight are you doing, and what tones? I tend towards pretty high contrast schemes these days, so I would probably be inclined to take pretty much all the highlights on that model up another notch, but that’s not the right style for everyone.

vorthain likes this.
  15. vorthain

vorthain Veteran Novice

More Haqqislam progress. What do you think? More color or contrast? I'm overall pretty pleased. I ended up going to bright green lights (VGC Scorpion) and dark green spot (VMC Deep Green). Muslims need some green after all. Also doing blue-green OSL on bases, but it is a real pain without an airbrush.[​IMG]

#75 vorthain, Aug 4, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  16. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

Those look awesome!

vorthain likes this.
  17. maru

maru Well-Known Member

you are doing osl on bases bad thats why it is hard and do not look bad
    - your light sorce is ssame colour or darkjer then glow of it and it it should be in reverse - the glowing part the brightest - maybe even near white (depending on the type of light source) and then intensity fades

jherazob likes this.
  18. vorthain

vorthain Veteran Novice

I understand what you are saying, but I think I'm doing it that way. My source is VGC Jade + VMC Ivory over white, finished with ivory spot, in VMC German Grey floor. See pic. Do you recommend going more ivory in the jade? 20200805_133153.jpg

#78 vorthain, Aug 5, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    Mannebein and toadchild like this.
  19. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

In the picture you shared above, you can really only see the lights on the remote's base, and at that angle, it looks like a dark spot surrounded by a lighter color.

20. maru

maru Well-Known Member

so this isa photo of real floor lights
    [​IMG]
    as you c the inside is Full of brightnes then light emanate in cone out of the place ther light is placed in - the glow effect can happen around on the flour but only if you paint mini as it would be in the night
    so i made Tutorial years ago about this with a lot of text and photos and it was online but not on my page - on a painters colective one and it changes ownership like 3 times and i lost contact with them and then it became a patronite pay walled thingi ... so basicly my tutorial is someware behind paywall
    but do not be afride ;)
    i will just link you to a James Wappel Tutorial / twich live session - he talks a lot and use an oils but it workswitk acrylic to :)

so basicly the darker you made the feel of the mini and base - stronger osl will be looking - but in "bright day" osl will be dimmed or it must be extremly powerfull to competite with Sun or other powerful light source (nuclear blast will do . )

jherazob and vorthain like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation