1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paradiso Scenery (continued)

Discussion in 'Scenery' started by unclesrouce, Dec 19, 2017.

1. unclesrouce

unclesrouce Well-Known Member

... continiued from old forum

Your ideas/experiences requiered: Paradiso Table for Shock Army of Acontecimento (SAA)

Want to here YOUR comments on what you have enjoied most when playing on outdoor tables and what not. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome!

The aim is to build a enjoiable and PLAYABLE table.

There are some reasons, why I want to build up my jungle table:
    - the "Shock Army of Acontecimento PanOceania Sectorial Starter Pack" is here, and
    - the TAGline, with cool missions for a jungle board is out recently.
    - the Paradiso book itself with cool stories

For this table I'll try to build a jungle and a modern scifi city.
    Project Start: 7-Nov-2016
    Project Duration: 6-12 month planned; changed to 18 month ;-)

Maxime for scratch building: "Terrain building, ... is always a process. ... start building stuff and learn what works, what doesn't and what can be improved. ... to get your first table filled with enough terrain ... start playing, fast, and if you're on a budget ... the best route might be to put your ambitious project on hold and fill your table with papercraft terrain. This will cost you a few hours of searching, printing and building time (a few more if you have no previous experience with papercraft), but it'll be way faster and way cheaper than anything you can build. It'll look decent and, if done right, will be resilient enough to last you while you expand your scenery collection. The tools you buy for it and experiences you make doing this will definitely come in handy later, again, for more DIY - do it yourself -- kinds of projects.” [by TerrorTigr]
    http://infinitytheforums.com/forum/topic/40978-silly-diorama/

I've collected some ideas, what such a table should have:
    * 1-2x large elements - objectvie room size (8"x8" h=3.5" up to 12"x12")
    [ ] 1x objective room
    [+] Aztec Buiding Big 1
    [+] Aztec Buiding Big 2
    [+] Aztec Buiding Big 3

* 5x medium - building size (4.7"x6.4" h=1.7" up to 6"x9")
    [+] 1x military outpost (sniper tower)
    [ ] big multi-level rock (double building size)
    [ ] rock with waterfall
    [ ] 1x administrative building for freight area

* 1-2x tall - tower size (up to 12” tall)

* 6x small - container size (10"x2" h=2")
    [+] big tree on rock
    [+] big tree/s
    [+] extraterrestrial tree
    [+] big dead/fallen tree
    [ ] rock
    [ ] artefact hidden in jungle
    [+] container for wood and exotic resources

* scatter size (1/2" up to 4"x2" h=1.5")
    [+] small tree
    [+] fallen trees
    [+] bundle of felled trees
    [ ] rock
    [ ] bridge

* difficult terrain
    [ ] river/swamp

* checklist for table layout

Usage for Scenery:
    - No Line of Fire (LoF) from deployment zone to deployment zone at ground level
    - check LoF's from four different directions
    Deployment zone to deployment zone
    Side to side
    Diagonal from one side
    Diagonal from the other side
    - Try rotating everything 45 degrees
    - always have enough options to deploy your troops in full cover
    - some small pieces like crates or so help a lot to give cover on the way through the board
    - nice defined edges (rocks) where minis can take partial cover
    - remember the windows: sometimes players forget about them and end up in a laser-pointer nightmare table

"The methods suggested for 40k Catachan tables back in the day are applicable to Infinity as well, and Infinity even has the rules in place already.

Real world jungles are a mixture of nonspecific hindering low level roots, shrubs and branches, larger trunks that are full LOF and movement blockers, and a constantly changing visual filter of leaves. Paths can vanish in days or even hours depending on what made them and how frequently they are re-used.

Paradiso is supposedly a hyper jungle, a constant race between the large and aggressive animal inhabitants and the otherwise unchecked plant life.

For the game reality of Infinity the simple approach would be to declare the whole table Low Visibility, place the big landmarks like that tree, alien ruins, this week's bunker, etc, and mark the spots or zones that are either better or worse than the LV default.

For the spectacle, the Catachan table, full of 60mm round bases with terrarium foliage that you remove and replace as models move, is tempting to do, but a time and storage investment entirely separate from the usual urban boards Infinity is known for.

If certain types of trees are present on Paradiso, a board could also be approached as a traditional catwalk table, with huge and high branches connecting trees with paths large enough to traverse with a little agility and moxie. The rules covering legal model placement in Infinity do threaten to make such a board look a little odd, however, so you will want to mix really wide and suspiciously flat-topped branches with liana bridges, multi-branch tangles, and super-leap gaps."
    [GypsyComet]

Each scenario in Campagne Paradiso calls for specific markers and even a few pieces of specific terrain, what about the rest of the table?

The planet in general is an extremely fertile forest/jungle planet but not every mission should be played in a rainforest. With this in mind, here is a list of what the general terrain for each mission could consist.

101: General jungle/forest terrain consisting of hills, rocks, trees (both single and clumps). Some other possible pieces that could make for some interesting tactical choices include a river, a ravine, a chasm...I am sure there are many more.

102: I feel that this is pretty much the same as 101 with the exception that some alien ruins can be thrown in to the mix of trees.

103: Again pretty much the same as 101, with the added central objective room.

201: General jungle/forest terrain as above with some dangerous looking plants thrown in for the hostile zones.

202: This one is finally indoors, it seems to imply that it is one very large room broken up by smaller free standing rooms and a larger, more open area around the central objective room. My idea here was to use some of the free standing M.A.S. walls to break up lines of sight and provide cover.

203: This one I have yet to come to a really good clear idea about so suggestions would be great. Maybe a city area? Is it back into the forest? A military base?

204: The short blurb at the start of this mission states that it takes place at, "an inactive enemy auxiliary landing zone." Now, I'm not exactly sure what this means but it sounds cool.

The map on the other hand makes my mind jump to a not so cool idea that the entire center of the board is a large flat "runway" type of area. Sure the surrounding area could be building, vehicles and random equipment. Since it is an inactive zone I can also see scattered crates and abandoned cargo containers.

205: This one is one of my favorites, it is an underground maintenance station for the mag-lev train. I see this area as a large open area with large square support pillars, large pieces of machinery, possibly some crates and cargo containers, some small service vehicles, tool boxes and possibly some walls and small offices.

I have been considering coming up with some rules for simulating the underground nature of the table, no AD maybe???

301: This is another one that I have been wracking my brain on, it is an orbital station so how/why is AD allowed?

Anyway, I see this as a high-tech, clean city type area. Not much else comes to mind here. Walls, small rooms?

Is this a cargo bay area? If so I could see crates, shipping containers, loading equipment, small vehicles.

302: I see this one as more of the Paradiso wilderness terrain. It could be interesting to play in a city with a lot of, now ruined, buildings.

303: Given a general description of "an O-12 orbital launch platform," I have ideas of a spaceport type table. Another possibility is a military instillation. Either way I see small buildings, vehicles, fuel storage tanks.

401: This is an interesting table set-up, basically divided with no L.o.F., the central area is going to be a bloodbath. :-)

So, the exterior areas should be jungle/forest/wilderness terrain, the interior however is an alien ship/building. The walls are interesting as they only allow access to the central area at two points per side. I see the ship interior being a series of twisted corridors and rooms with very little scatter terrain.

The other way to go would be an alien building with rubble and ruins....this idea comes from the pics on pgs 54 and 55 of the paradiso book. To me those seem to suggest that the Cosmolite is, at least partially, carved from the planet itself.

402: Inside the Cosmolite again so the options from the last mission still stand, alien ship/building. I am leaning more toward the alien building than a ship.

I am seeing pillars and ruined walls, rubble piles and natural rock outcroppings.

403: Now deep within the Cosmolite the same terrain options as the last two missions are present, ship/building.

The T'zechi launching platform could be a raised area, again the pic on pg 55 gave me inspiration on this.

http://infinitytheforums.com/forum/topic/15533-general-and-specific-terrain-for-the-missions/
    [by chaoshead87, March 6, 2013]

I've seen a lot of great jungle table in the forum.
    My overall favorite is the "LOST IN PARADISO" by Scenery Planet, showing a lost civilication.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVnBMgcqjNQ

There is a realy good thread on outdoors tables - what to get/do - what to avoid:
    http://infinitytheforums.com/forum/topic/45762-outdoors-table-what-to-getdo-what-to-avoid/

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

#1 unclesrouce, Dec 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    Lothlanathorian likes this.
  2. unclesrouce

Mobile sniper tower [emoji23]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Your engineer can use an activation short skill to bring up the platform [emoji23]

3. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

You will need to copy whatever you want to keep.

4. unclesrouce

Thx for your hint. Think i just continue here with new stuff.

The old forum was such a great source for getting ideas building scenery. It's a little bit sad that this source will be lost forever.

5. unclesrouce

After a previous confrantation, a PanOceanian Unit must face the Combined Army forces that are trying to enter the last cosmolite.

4c001c4a5e9bc2e506c5c1d0cc6bc9a9.jpg 6ca764df03cb94ca26fb8bf5f7dd155d.jpg 67ceb94e680f04c676ffe943a2ccc713.jpg 755dfbd64f7914bab887c56ae6c946b2.jpg fb11afdda78aa55b97391b748b4d8612.jpg f3dba5baf2316d9a3af562a8f36752df.jpg daf6aac9b52513ca0ee5917e9767b388.jpg b6bb21ce19b1f154f2af3f230a2c4007 (1).jpg b8f864f2faf9e8521e7b3d6adf95e8a4.jpg b52c3398996446d68ba335de5d702e9c (1).jpg c51ca5621d1e0d6ff0e1492d32d3ee38.jpg

#5 unclesrouce, Jan 3, 2018
  6. unclesrouce

Jungle Trees

2ddabea60fab12f43d1448bcccceaa88.jpg 7dbee43c8a34fba036297014c3250fd6.jpg 840846_mb-Accontesiamento, Infinity, Jungle, Paradiso, Playable, Shock Army, Terrain.JPG 58916834ee10112e9567a66a9c2744b0.jpg 478916440054f9dc839b78f94215c685.jpg d091ddf3894d544d9ba14ed5e06f57c2.jpg d29753d8069ab21edb55632c29efa30d.jpg f6debd0dc755d38e4ee2b3672cc763ff.jpg

How To:
    841966_md-Jungle, Model Tree, Wire Frame.jpg 03cdb2b1aa3bdcc4464335e2dea71158.jpg

references for building trees

Especially Scenery Placement. I think the guy does it just right.
    https://daggerandbrush.wordpress.co...aming-trees-adding-that-extra-bit-of-realism/

Jungle Terrain

The (cheap) jungle tree procedure with aquarium/terrarium plants worked out very well.
    The next step is that i want to have a "realistic" jungle ground terrain for the "realistic" jungle trees.

What I have so far - collected from all over the forum and web - is the following:

Three layers of forest soil / jungle ground:
    - earth tone soil / mud
    - foliage
    - low vegetation

Material for buildung that layers are:

* soil material:
    1. potting soil (sifted and baked)
    or
    2. coffee powder (cooked in a mixture of water and dishwashing detergent, sifted and baked)
    or
    3. plaster (powder/crumbs/gravel mixed with earth tones acrylic colors)

- Apply a mixture of wood glue and water to terrain.
    - Crumble or sprinkle the “jungle soil” all over in varying density.
    - To fix spray with a mixture of wood glue (transparent), water and dishwashing detergent.

* mud material:
    - mixture of potting soil (sifted and baked), wood glue, water, brown color and clear varnish

- Selectively apply the “jungle mud” to terrain.

* foliage material:
    1. green or black tea (roughly chopped - no teabag)
    and/or
    2. leaves (baked and stamped)
    and/or
    3. freeze-dried parsley and/or marjoram (stamped)

* low vegetation material:
    - wood shavings (colored)
    - tuft of grass material (long static grass glued with wood glue drops)

On top of that forest soil / jungle ground apply your plants and trees.

#6 unclesrouce, Jan 8, 2018
  7. unclesrouce

Building & Lightning

3abff7956c685daa668600d07fa595bb.jpg 4d516f68bd0dd86ff585014e28a2a335.jpg 15d0eedb993188736f8f44d32ea40359.jpg 75b66eadac876e1ef6d2817680cdbaa8.jpg 239a06ca93de3983706954bde8d223b2.jpg 6254ebc21e18316837ab3372e835ccac.jpg 109319ef2c98240c13cf9521eb9213d3.jpg 4034154d7ff0b4a9fff1eecd7713044a.jpg a271ec990adf8ff32216f3c568efa47b.jpg b8ecd27c7190e6e280f4c54079cc86fa.jpg d9c4c121aa270e179f87594cd9a1b504.jpg d51b75f0a95127bed8b58f26e066dfe7.jpg dbdbedfce8d952e40768bc6ed87dfb81.jpg

#7 unclesrouce, Jan 8, 2018
  8. Monkeysloth

Monkeysloth Well-Known Member

Is the LED based tree finished yet? Really been curious about how it will look.

Lothlanathorian likes this.
  9. unclesrouce

Thx for your interrest! Not yet finished - but now i have some motivation to do it [emoji6]I will post pics when done.

Monkeysloth likes this.
  10. zagdag

zagdag Split box orphan

Keep up the good work! Love to see this board coming along on the new forums

unclesrouce likes this.
  11. unclesrouce

[​IMG][​IMG]

Work in Progress ... which leaves should I take? Your opinion needed.

The fireflies glowed and blinked in the dark :-)

12. Monkeysloth

ya, that looks great. Very nice use of a cheap string of lights.

I like the bigger leaves for 2 reasons:

1) looks like an other world fern tree
    2) the longer and thinner "leaves" break up the light without covering it completely which make the tree very visually interesting when the lights are on.

jherazob and unclesrouce like this.
  13. unclesrouce

[​IMG]

Usashi, aphexblue, zagdag and 3 others like this.
  14. MAlgol

MAlgol I couldn't tackle the bear

I love the idea of having lights in buildings and scenery but I have to ask. How much of it is used during play? We have lots of light in the rooms we play so for us it would not work but how much will your table light up? Is it enough to play on with just a little "room light"?

unclesrouce likes this.
  15. unclesrouce

having lights in buildings and scenery .. tabletop and especially Infinity has also a fun asprect - and it is realy fun playing on a light up table

lots of light in the rooms we play ... The lights are colored (green, blue, yellow) so you can see them also in a light up room

How much of it is used during play ... we switch the lights on just for fun.

Is it enough to play on with just a little "room light" .. we have never played that - reading in the rules and lists would be a little bit heavy. Maybe using tablets/notebook only for rules and lists it may be possible.

16. unclesrouce

Paradiso is a planet that had several scientific research firms based on its biodiversity and attractive climate, making it one of the major R & D planets.

[​IMG][​IMG]

WIP ... jungle is growing slowly.

The glow worm tree in comparision to the szene - in the background left. The light up tree is really big.

#16 unclesrouce, Feb 27, 2018
  17. Monkeysloth

I really like the mix of urban with jungle.

unclesrouce likes this.
  18. Usashi

Usashi Well-Known Member

I'd consider adding few ruined buildings with giant trees bursting through ruined floors and walls. It would look cool if some of the city areas were reclaimed by the jungle again.

19. unclesrouce

Thx for your idea.

This table will be an active part of jungle. So no "sunken city". BUT based on your idea i will add some parts to see how nature is struggling with the buildings.

The building is an i-Kohl Lab in the jungle on Paradiso. This is an PanO research building for evaluation of substances found in the nearby jungle.

Something like that:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

#19 unclesrouce, Feb 27, 2018
    jherazob likes this.
  20. Monkeysloth

One of the big things with Paradiso is that the Jungle grows very fast and reclaims unattended developed areas in months. Having visited the jungle part of the Big Island on Hawaii I can say that even here it grows really fast (though not that fast).

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation