1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Board Gams!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic English' started by Flipswitch, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Daemon of Razgriz

Daemon of Razgriz Ninja sniper

@Section9 Yeah, i've seen that one. Very similar to 'Bloodrage' that i mentioned up post. Made by the same company/ person. Except instead of fighting to control mythical Japan. You're viking clans winning glory before Ragnarok destroys the world.

On another note. Just bought 'Battle for Rokugan' today. Looks very interesting.

2. FatherKnowsBest

FatherKnowsBest Red Knight of Curmudgeon

I liked the look of the models, but watched a demo of the game run by the creator of the game, and it was horribly boring it seemed.

3. Wolf

Wolf https://youtube.com/@StudioWatchwolf

I saw it at my board games club, bought by a friend who also has Blood Rage, and remarked to him that it looked exactly like Blood Rage with samurai. He said it played fairly similarly too, which is no bad thing having enjoyed a few games of Blood Rage and the mini.s :smile:

4. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

We're not entirely certain about replay value, at least with the same factions every time (there are 7 or 8 different clans so far but you can only play up to 6 at a time). There's also a lot more thought involved than we'd thought originally.

But taking one of the clans that start out in Edo, Kyoto, or Kansai gives you a very large initial lead, and if you win enough battles, you will likely win the game. But there are some rude tricks you can play, like winning the bid and having all your troops commit seppuku at the start of the battle, which gives you VPs, and also winning the bid for the imperial poets, which gives you VPs for every troop killed in the battle. Double-scoring.

It's important to note that you only have 6 soldiers and 3 Shinto priests, plus your Daimyo. So you may want to intentionally lose a battle or two to allow you to put troops someplace else.

xagroth likes this.
  5. Shoitaan

Shoitaan Well-Known Member

Kingdom Death, Scythe or Santorini when its just the core group. If we have too many players or a lot of casuals then we go to lighter stuff like Tokaido, Exploding Kittens, Cards Against Humanity, Love Letter etc

Bought my wife Photosynthesis for her coming birthday though. Looking forward to that.

Abrilete and xagroth like this.
  6. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

Do want... but it's an impressive initial investment (400$... kinda funny considering how I have nearly 230 Infininity models, which amounts to at least 2000€ XD)

Xeurian, Icchan, Shoitaan and 2 others like this.
  7. leigen_zero

leigen_zero Morat Pacifist

The difference is in acquisition, assuming you bought the models incrementally it's a lot softer on the brain to drop 10-20 quid a month until you end up with £2000 worth of toy soldiers than it is to buy £2000 worth up front.

I need to look into some solo-able board games, since currently my life revolves around either being in work or looking after the kids while my wife is in work I don't get much time to interact with human beings

Abrilete and xagroth like this.
  8. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

Some cooperative games might be the solution (Pandemic and the like) but to my experience they tend to go into "irrelevant" levels of difficulty against perfect coordination (meaning 1 player controlling all the playable units). The Descent Star Wars version has a single player mode thanks a phone app, though.

9. Flipswitch

Flipswitch Sepsitorised by Intent

scythe has a solitaire mode vs the automata, you can play that as you can't make our meet ups for it.

lonliest scythe in the world

Abrilete likes this.
  10. leigen_zero

leigen_zero Morat Pacifist

I don't think I've got the cubic footage of shelf space for scythe, based on your collection :-p

11. Shoitaan

Shoitaan Well-Known Member

It's a super imposing investment but the way I see it, the coregame without any expansion packs is like WELL over a 100 hours of gameplay to be enjoyed a bunch of people. And experiences aren't divided they're shared so if you reguarly meet up with 3 others, you're basically buying over 400hours of gameplay for $400.

I tend to look at these as a couple because KD we've spent most of the time just the two of us. So $400 (or for me, $USD100 cause I got it from the first kickstarter when he misjudged how much it was going to cost at retail - Poots actually made a loss from the first KS XD), we are guaranteed 2x100 hours of gameplay. But we also own 4 expansion packs so the game won't get stale anytime soon. Especially as we still haven't had the thrill of victory because being hit by plague followed by bone eater events is a great way to destroy your best characters.

A few months after the birth of our first child when we finally found a new normal, we had a great thing going where we had KD setup on the dinner table and either while our daughter was eating or after she was asleep, we'd put in 1-2 hours into the game before sleeping. A great and dark adventure in otherwise potentially stressful times. It's actually guite a good memory for me...

@leigen_zero, technically you could solo Kingdom Death if you wanted a great dark world to explore. But I must say I don't think it would be fun because you'd have to do the book keeping and the card handling etc all by yourself. That being said, I see a few people on the KD facebook group do just that. I can't imagine doing it...

I hear Gloomhaven is taking the boardgame world by storm. Maybe that has a stellar SP mode?

Scythe is worth considering. Haven't done Automata myself but I've heard many people (Scythe digital beta testers) that the computer AI doesn't have even half the challenge of Automata. Sounds like a great design.

#31 Shoitaan, May 11, 2018
    Last edited: May 11, 2018
  12. Flipswitch

just bought GKR Heavy Hitters holy moly mechs

13. FatherKnowsBest

Is that that game that was originally armored core?

14. Flipswitch

I have no idea I've never heard of it

15. FatherKnowsBest

jherazob and Flipswitch like this.
  16. Flipswitch

It looks great, cant wait to play it!

17. Flipswitch

Just picked up my copy, holy fuck, how am I meant to store this?

xagroth and jherazob like this.
  18. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

One oldie is Last Frontier: The Vesuvius Incident. You're in command of a squad of a dozen marines, responding to a distress call from a ship in a decaying orbit.

And nobody is answering the radio.

I'm working on making that board into something for Infinity.

Edit: I should note that the game has pretty decent replay value, too, since you will never know exactly how long you have before re-entry (the counters are randomly shuffled). As long as you don't lose any of the counters. I need to print off a fresh countersheet to be able to replay my original copy, but the original was a ziploc baggie game. The reprint is actually in a box, I believe.

#38 Section9, May 16, 2018
    Last edited: May 16, 2018
    leigen_zero and jherazob like this.
  19. Pierzasty

Pierzasty Null-Space Entity

Speaking of, my copy of Gloomhaven should arrive any day now.

20. Flipswitch

my buddy bought gloomhaven, fuck buying my own copy

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation