1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning - Is it all that horrible?

Discussion in 'Smoke & Mirrors' started by Roadrunner7431, May 2, 2018.

1. Roadrunner7431

Roadrunner7431 Well-Known Member

On first look it seems that Burning is a horribly powerful state. However a character with a burning state will not suffer damage until the end of its next activation when the Burning state token is flipped from red to blue.
    Only Mendoza with his ranged attack of "Flamma Veritatis" has a reasonable chance of inflicting the burning state in the first round. Kozmo is too slow and has to be adjacent to an enemy to use his :3: switch to burn enemies. So it will be the second round that burning is often applied. So that the most likely round of Burning tokens starting to inflict damage will be the third round of a five round game.
    Please correct me if my analysis is faulty or incomplete.

2. Fathi Amirmoez

Fathi Amirmoez Active Member

I suppose so.
    I was initially skeptical, more because of the randomized damage.
    However, it only has a 33% chance of doing no damage per die (and a half that chance of doing two wounds instead of one per die).
    The additional burning states per [!] is just icing on the cake.

Roadrunner7431 likes this.
  3. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

Impose the State on a Character before their Activation for the current Game Round and they'll be suffering damage during that Game Round. It's still not likely to happen before the second Round, but it can do nasty amounts of damage then.

4. natetehaggresar

natetehaggresar Senior Backlogged Painter Manager

Put hexer in your team and vade retro mendoza or kosmo a few times during turn 1. You can easily apply fire turn 1 if your team is built for it.

5. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

Sorry, I meant to say that the damage is unlikely to happen before the second Round - anyone in range in Round 1 is almost guaranteed to have already activated.

6. Click2kill

Click2kill Well-Known Member

Considering burning is damage that can't be mitigated by :1:, it can be a nightmare if you spread it out early enough. It's stackable stackable as well.

Sure it may take time to manifest. But it can turn a game around if the rolls go the right way.

7. DeadlyOcean

DeadlyOcean SCAF Maelstrom Crew/Korean A! Manager/Sygmaa Spy;)

My opinion is,

yes. burning state is deadly. because burning state can remain if you got :3:.

according to How to Play book, one :,:die has 4 side of :2: symbols, 2 side of :3:symbols. 67% dealing damage and 33% keep remaining states(and 33% can't do nothing). in my experience, Burning state keep dealing least one damage each characters who effected by this state. if they don't have healer, it's lethal. damages keep snowballing.

and Mendoza's Switch use :2:. if enemy's :W: value is too high, or opponent got a lot of :1:s, turn all :2: to burning states. fire may deal some damages later regardless enemy's :W: or :1:s.

8. -V-

-V- A! Team member
    CB Staff

And so Mendoza is a kind of anti-tank.

Roadrunner7431, volgo and DeadlyOcean like this.
  9. zlavin

zlavin Well-Known Member

And this is why Parvati and Laxmee are so good against Mendoza.

Flipswitch likes this.
  10. -V-

-V- A! Team member
    CB Staff

And this is why there'll always be somebody good against somebody. Enjoy Laxmee's and Parvati's kingdom, it won't last... /* wicked laugh */

DeadlyOcean likes this.
  11. zlavin

zlavin Well-Known Member

12. -V-

-V- A! Team member
    CB Staff

13. dakara

dakara Well-Known Member
    Warcor

14. Fathi Amirmoez

Fathi Amirmoez Active Member

Laxmee isn't that great vs. Burning (or, at least, not against Flamma Veritatis).

Yes she has Fairy Dust and, yes, she has Purge '92, but neither are super AP-efficient. Mendoza can easily stack 3+ Burning tokens for 3 AP; even more so if he has tactics, Pointman, and/or Focused. Meanwhile Laxmee will only ever be able to clear 1 token via Focused before having to remove Burning at a 1 token to 1 AP-ratio.

This isn't to say it is a waste of time for Laxmee to remove Burning, just it can be super time-intensive, and she likely has better things to be doing.

I'd say the moment the opponent picks Mendoza, you need Parvati (assuming you can't lock him down by abusing his short range - killing him with Lunah, immobilizing or Dazzling him if he has no state-removal, etc.).

15. Flipswitch

Flipswitch Sepsitorised by Intent

What is the limitation of burning tokens/how many does each character have to apply before you run out?

I think I've already asked this in another thread but christ if I can remember.

#15 Flipswitch, May 7, 2018
    Last edited: May 7, 2018
  16. dakara

dakara Well-Known Member
    Warcor

If he starts moving, shoot him down or run into his face, don't see a problem

17. Roadrunner7431

Roadrunner7431 Well-Known Member

I do not think that there is any limitation on the number of burning tokens that can be out in the Hexadome or even any limit of number of Burning tokens on any specific character. There is a limit on Smoke tokens which I believe is nine for Kozmo and three for TaoWu

Flipswitch and -V- like this.
  18. -V-

-V- A! Team member
    CB Staff

That's right.

19. Flipswitch

Flipswitch Sepsitorised by Intent

Ah cheers, just smoke is the limited one. Cheers dudes.

20. dakara

dakara Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Okay, where am I able to see the limit for smoke for every character?

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation