1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Corrigedor: Possible Improvements

Discussion in 'Nomads' started by Del S, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Elric of Grans

Elric of Grans Well-Known Member

Hellcats have the option for AD or Zero-G. They are paying for one or the other. Hellcat Lt is clearly designed for when playing on a Zero-G table. Everyone plays on Zero-G tables occasionally, right? Right? Oh, yeah, that's the real problem!

I agree with Barrough that the issue is not with the units, but with what you gain vs what you lose compared with Vanilla. This is only going to be exasperated once Tunguska drops. Almost all the advantages of Corregidor are available in Vanilla. AVA is so high in Vanilla that the increases in Corregidor are mostly irrelevant (eg Hellcats) or only to support the Fireteam rules (eg Wildcats). Beyond that, the only reasons to play Corregidor over Vanilla are:
    • Alguacil, Wildcat or Mobile Brigada Fireteam:Core.
    • Senor Massacre/Jaguar Fireteam:Haris, or Wildcat Fireteam:Haris.
    • McMurrough
    That's not a whole lot. You are giving up options like Interventors, Zoe & Pi-well, Spektrs, Taskmasters/Kriza. In near future you will be losing things like Hecklers and Hollow Men (whatever these happen to be). Once Tunguska drops, I think it is very unlikely I will continue playing Corregidor.

Tom McTrouble likes this.
  2. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

Why not Wildcat or Intruder?

Elric of Grans likes this.
  3. Erratic

Erratic New Member

Honest question, is that the pace of change so slow? In the last few years that I have been playing I have seen the new Human Sphere drop, new rules or profiles introduced for each ITS season, and a lot of new sectorials plus NA2 coming this year. CV seems at least aware of the units and sectorials being played in ITS. So even if they saw a drop in usage, and wanted to change profiles, would it take that long?

4. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

It wouldn't take that long once they start working on it. There's so many sectorials that need work just to reach baseline that Corregidor probably isn't and definitely shouldn't be a priority.

At least:
    Mero
    Shasvastii
    MO
    Phalanx
    Bakunin
    Qapu

Should all see attention before Corregidor does. SHOULD although Corregidor is loved by CB and will probably sneak in early.

The thing is if something catches their fancy they do it. Corregidor could be updated heavily by the next book. You never really know.

I would say Corregidor won't NEED updating until N4 unless every book is like HSN3. Especially if they keep getting small updates like the Brigada and Bandit profiles they got.

5. Andre82

Andre82 Well-Known Member

Corregidor was my first faction and I still have a soft spot for it, however...
    I am not a fan of the Wildcat link unless the mission really rewards it.
    I place little value in the Brigada paintrain as it is a one trick list even if simply punching them in the face tell you win is a pretty good trick but if they find an answer you are sunk.
    With the only real advantages of note for me being the Alguacil core, All the Haris options are nice, and McMurrough, you give up so much for a pretty small collection of boons.

6. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

QK is fine. Their link efficiency with Hafza is fantastic, they have cool non-Haqq troops and they have lots of options covering all bases. Everyone wants more options, but QK has plenty.

Corregidor is also fine. Really it's a case of do you want to play a themed force with most Sectorals in general, as Vanilla is almost always more powerful, but Corregidor does get cheap and efficient LI, MI and WB options and from a purely competitive standpoint Jaguars are really strong.

Background wise, a disproportionately large amount of Bounty Hunters (seeking the chocolate coconut goodness) are from Corregidor, so having them or a character would be fun, but hey ho.

7. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

Not about strength. QK just has a lot of dead space, Corregidor is basically just Brigada and I even think the Brigada HMG is dumb not to use.

They're pretty good but I still think they deserve it before Corregidor.

8. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

Bakunin received an extensive rework in HSN3: as much as I don't like the design direction (run Grrls or Kusanagi Haris or GTFO), it's been reworked more thoroughly more recently.

Realistically it's: Corregidor was a strong faction in N3, mid-to-upper tier in HSN3 and suffers from extensive overlap with Vanilla/StarCo in Uprising.

Basically what I expect to see is either a slight reworking of 'N3' profiles/units/links once the list you made is complete or we'll see the prep for N4. I'm increasingly thinking that it'll be about time for N4 by then.

9. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

@inane.imp Bakunin really feels half updated. But you might be right. Anyways there are many that deserve it before Corregidor, but like I said someone up there love them and they are more likely than most to receive priority.

edit: and if they do become a shiny new faction no one can give me lip for playing them I've rode it since the first game I've played.

10. inane.imp

I agree, but that's because Grrls. They screw with the factions internal balance.

All I'd really expect to see outside of an N4 level rework is a Moderator Dire Foe.

11. Barrogh

Barrogh Well-Known Member

Aren't single terrain skills basically free?

12. inane.imp

Yes, which is why it's not worth trading away AD:5 for. Particularly not when the Wildcat Lt gets Multiterrain, + LFT, + D-Charges, +1 BS, +3 BTS over the Hellcat for 3pts/1SWC cheaper and -1 Phys.

loricus likes this.
  13. Darkvortex87

Darkvortex87 Combat jump kamikaze

The problem with corregidor is that it's shtick is either "punch you hard in the face" or "everything drops from space".
    And as far as rules are concerned, the second is a "non option" since any list with more than 3 AD troops is basically unplayable.
    Things could change, of course, by simply making possible the coordinated drop of units or by supplying corregidor with an hellcat / tomcat hero with said ability.

That would make an hell of a playstyle, and really differentiate corregidor from other "punch you in the face" factions

xagroth likes this.
  14. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

I don't think a coordinated drop would be very useful. The only time I want to drop more than one at once is when I'm teaming up on a TAG or something. Otherwise it's
    just feeding unprotected guys to your opponent.

15. Darkvortex87

if coordinated drop offered only 1 aro as a coordinated order, I can totally see some usefulness.
    Corregidor could hypothetically, become a much more effective "pincer strike" force.
    Forcing the opponent to deal with hardy (gecko, MB) or tricky ( intruders) or being caught in the crossfire of a group of hellcats dropped in the backfield

16. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

So what's the use case? You want to drop in LoS and only risk losing one? I don't think that would be a good idea very often. After dropping you can only activate one anyways.

17. nazroth

nazroth 'well known Nomad agitator'

Feel exactly the same about Corregidor.

In my opinion, and do not want to force it on anyone - just want to share:
    Brigadas: Seem overcosted for what they bring and lack cheap fillers (like Chainrifle profile) to be considered playable in a full man fireteam.
    Wildcats: I played the shit out of Wildcat link back in the day and now can't even look at them, due to high points cost - low order ratio.
    Geckos: Don't know where to start. These days Taskmaster and Kriza made Geckos obsolete. They seem to be the unit you field only when you must (Show of Force) and even then it feels like being forced to. Why they don't have flamers, hmgs and stuff... don't know - but with current profiles would be great if they atleast had a mechanized deployment or something to provide an edge to their overall short range.

Intruders, Hellcats, Tomcats, Morans, Bandits, Jags, Alguacils, Iguana, McMurder and Senor are all pretty well rounded up - some of these are even very veery good. It seems like the problem is only with previously mentioned Brigadas, Wildcats and Geckos. Still not bad - most of the army is pretty playable. I think that wat pains me the most is the fact I would really enjoy playing any and all of these three units if they only be more rewarding with point/power level ratio.

If I was to suggest any changes to these three profiles it would be:
    Cheap Chainrifle profile for Brigadas to lower the points cost total for 5-man link.
    Maybe a Chain of Command, Multirifle profile for Brigadas - this one would definitelly play in Vanilla.
    Chain of Command Wildcat profile. No matter the cost - this would play in both Corregidor and Vanilla.
    Flamethrowers for Geckos.
    Some kind of deployment skill for Geckos - be it Mechanized Deployment or Airbrone Infiltration.

xagroth likes this.
  18. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

It does, actually. The problem is that you are "-X orders" because of them being AD troops and their orders being useful only to enter the table or coordinate an enter, losing them afterwards. Like with Hidden Deployed TOs, incidentally.

Ideally, a Haris of Hellcats would be great. But anyway, after the drop they can do a lot of things since they can be placed all around the template.

It would help also if that template could be placed on the basic scenography of CB, something that is currently not happening.

19. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

I'm not sure what they would be accomplishing though. Maybe with a Mimetism MSR or Feuerbach profile. It feels like you're just paying for and deploying weaker Zerats with all the downsides and none of the up.

20. Darkvortex87

Are gecko (and all TAGs really) keeping FAT1 and pilot rules when tagline goes out?
    I really can't find any hint on this, and frankly I think that CB should at least give some information regarding the choice.
    Something like "we found that with tagline buffs, Tags now adhere to our idea of useful profiles, so they will keep some/most/all bonus, and they'll be added to their profiles as soon as tagline ends."

PauloCavalcanti likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation