1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New CA player - Needs advice

Discussion in 'Combined Army' started by Laione, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Laione

Laione New Member

Hello all! I just started Infinity and choose Combined Army, bought some boxes and made several lists.
    Don't know what is good and bad for now, so I'm not sure what I bought & my lists are okay...

First, here's what I bought.

- Onyx 300 Army box without Rodok
    - Unidron support weapon boxes
    - Nexus operative
    - Umbra Samaritan
    - BIt & Kiss!
    - Xeodron box

Are these good to start? Do I need to buy something else?

And about the lists - Here's what I thought.

Vanilla list

[​IMG] V-CA-AVATAR-300
    ──────────────────────────────────────────────────

[​IMG]10
    [​IMG] AVATAR Lieutenant (Strategos L3) MULTI HMG, Sepsitor Plus / DA CCW. (3.5 | 137)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] STALDRON Flash Pulse / Knife. (0 | 0)
    [​IMG] Bit Hacker (UPGRADE: Expel) Submachine Gun + Pitcher, Deployable Repeater + KISS! / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 19)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] KISS! Adhesive Launcher / Electric Pulse. (- | 4)
    [​IMG] UMBRA SAMARITAN Spitfire, Flash Pulse / Pistol, Vorpal CC Weapon. (1 | 44)
    [​IMG] FRAACTA Boarding Shotgun, Nanopulser / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 28)
    [​IMG] UNIDRON Plasma Carbine / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (0 | 14)
    [​IMG] R-DRONE Flash Pulse, Sniffer / Electric Pulse. (0 | 8)
    [​IMG] R-DRONE Flash Pulse, Sniffer / Electric Pulse. (0 | 8)

5 SWC | 300 Points

Open in Infinity Army

Onyx list, the first one with Samaritan-Xeodron Haris team

[​IMG] Onyx_300_01

[​IMG]10
    [​IMG] NEXUS Lieutenant Hacker (EI Hacking Device) Combi Rifle, Nullifier / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 24)
    [​IMG] UNIDRON Plasma Sniper Rifle / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (1.5 | 24)
    [​IMG] UNIDRON (Forward Observer) Plasma Carbine / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (0 | 15)
    [​IMG] UNIDRON (Forward Observer) Plasma Carbine / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (0 | 15)
    [​IMG] UMBRA SAMARITAN Spitfire, Flash Pulse / Pistol, Vorpal CC Weapon. (1 | 44)
    [​IMG] XEODRON Red Fury, Blitzen / Heavy Pistol. (1 | 59)
    [​IMG] XEODRON MULTI Rifle, Blitzen / Heavy Pistol. (0.5 | 58)
    [​IMG] Bit Hacker (UPGRADE: Expel) Submachine Gun + Pitcher, Deployable Repeater + KISS! / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 19)
    [​IMG] Q-DRONE HMG / Electric Pulse. (1 | 26)

6 SWC | 299 Points

Open in Infinity Army

Onyx list, the second one without Samaritan-Xeodron Haris team

[​IMG] Onyx_300_02

[​IMG]10
    [​IMG] UMBRA LEGATE K1 Combi Rifle, Flash Pulse / Pistol, DA CCW. (0 | 40)
    [​IMG] NEXUS Lieutenant Hacker (EI Hacking Device) Combi Rifle, Nullifier / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 24)
    [​IMG] XEODRON Red Fury, Blitzen / Heavy Pistol. (1 | 59)
    [​IMG] FRAACTA (EI Assault Hacking Device) Combi Rifle, Nanopulser / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 35)
    [​IMG] Q-DRONE HMG / Electric Pulse. (1 | 26)

6 SWC | 300 Points

Open in Infinity Army

Are these lists ok to go or need to need to fix?

Thanks in advance!

2. Wolf

Wolf https://youtube.com/@StudioWatchwolf

Welcome to the forum and the game, Laione.

Be assured you have way more than enough troops to start playing, and I'm sure you'll find the Umbra Samaritan a hoot, though your opponent might not be so thrilled, of course ... :grin:

If I may offer a little advice if you're just learning Infinity: players tend to want to their games at 300 points with multiple Combat Groups, which is okay when you've learned enough, but is quite unhelpful to learning the game - it's just too many units and too many Orders to think about. I recommend finding opponents who'll be happy to play short learning games with small armies - below 200 points or 8 models instead.

I get our learners playing with the contents of whatever Starter Box they bought, use the Army application to print out complete lists for each unit*, put them into A4 plastic covers, and let players experiment with different units by putting a sticker against whatever profile they fancy. As good as Army is, it seems to really help having the lists printed out as hard copy and readily to hand.

We usually play these games with the Infinity 20×20 scenario system by @Prophet of Doom which is far easier more accessible than Corvus Belli's ITS and has enjoyable narrative style objectives. At these smaller point games, you can agree the Retreat! threshold as the last unit or last two units of any kind without worrying about exact points - the games are short, but can continue to the bitter end. Best of luck!

[​IMG] Combined Army

[​IMG]11
    [​IMG] FRAACTA Combi Rifle, Nanopulser / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 29)
    [​IMG] FRAACTA Boarding Shotgun, Nanopulser / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 28)
    [​IMG] FRAACTA Spitfire, Nanopulser / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 35)
    [​IMG] FRAACTA (EI Assault Hacking Device) Combi Rifle, Nanopulser / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 35)
    [​IMG] UNIDRON K1 Combi Rifle / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (0.5 | 16)
    [​IMG] UNIDRON K1 Combi Rifle + 1 TinBot A (Deflector L1) / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (0.5 | 17)
    [​IMG] UNIDRON Missile Launcher, Light Shotgun / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (1.5 | 20)
    [​IMG] UNIDRON Spitfire / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (1 | 18)

7 SWC | 251 Points

Open in Infinity Army

You can print out several units' complete set of profiles like this on a page, then put a sticker next to the one you want to play with in the mission. If you repeat the mission a few times (we're obsessed with Investigate Alien Artifact, for example) you can easily try different profiles and to help get the hang of Infinity list building.

#2 Wolf, Mar 27, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    unclesrouce, DaRedOne and Golem2God like this.
  3. DaRedOne

DaRedOne Morat Warrior Philosopher
    Warcor

Welcome to the game, mate! Have fun.

I am sad sad sad that you choose to play the Tryhard Sectorial :grin:

But jokes apart, I second what @Wolf said up there. Start slow, play some smaller games, at 150 or 200 point levels.

Additionally, don't try to have one list, try to tailor your list to each mission you will play. The current iteration of ITS has 22 missions, and some of them are so much fun to play! You have to really approach each of them individually, though, as sometimes having a drop trooper like a fraacta is a great thing, and in others it's a detriment.

Good luck on your next games! Have fun kicking the smelly humans' asses!

4. paraelix

paraelix Seed Embryo Scholar

Start small and simple. Avatar is a cool dude - but a complex dude to get the most out of. Same can be said of a few other models in the list you've got. Nail the basics first, then try branching into the domain of G:Sync Impersonators, Sepsitors and Flying Stealth units.

5. C0MR4DE

C0MR4DE Malfunctioning Unidron

If you use drones and tags in vanilla go for kurgat engi + slaves. If you use organic units with wounds go for med. Tech aka Dr. Worm.
    With imetron and ikadron you can have cheap orders ( 9+ 4).

6. Laione

Laione New Member

Thank you all! :slightly_smiling_face:

7. paraelix

paraelix Seed Embryo Scholar

Fun units to run in Vanilla, once you've got a handle on core mechanics, are;
    Hungries (cheap, fast, explode when unconscious)
    Ko Dali (BS14, MSV2 drop troop with Burst 5 Assault Pistol)
    Speculo (Impersonation)
    Treitak Anyat (Climbing Plus, E/M Grenades, K1)
    and one I haven't gotten to yet - E-Drone (because EI Evo can break enemy Fireteam links)

8. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

Yes, CA Support Pack is a must (only doctor in the whole faction), and 2 copies of the blister of Imetron + Ikadron is a given.
    After that, in order of importance and real hurry, the Rodok ML blister and you are more than set to do anything in Onyx. The Sphinx is the last link, but a Malignos will help you cover all the bases (the Noctifer is not as game-changing as those, but having one, again, helps).

For Vanilla you will want in this order, eventually, to have a Speculo Killer, Daturazi (morat smoke throwers), more Aspects (Skaivoros and Charontid, this last is the one who goes with the Daturazi; and the Anathematic), and little more.

Avoid the Morat AD troop (the "diplomat" XD) because it will be resculpted soon, we were shown the concept art a few days ago. Until then, you can use a Rodok as proxy.

DaRedOne likes this.
  9. Wolf

Wolf https://youtube.com/@StudioWatchwolf

You can imagine how that Corvus Belli design team meeting went, can't you:

Alberto: <proud> "Here's the preliminary artwork for CA Doctors and Engineers - one for each of the races in the Combined Army...
    Bostria: <swigs another Red Bull> "Great - these are going to be fantastic looking miniatures; so many different designs; terrific!
    Palanka: <all genial enthusiasm> "Si, look at this big Worm guy - that's the one. When could we see the prototype Carlos?"
    <Bostria walks by making whirring noises miming Dr Worm's bio-mechanical arms>
    Carlos: <distracted and worried> "Guys, I dunno - my sculpture deadline is crazy; I really should be working right now...
    <Bostria walks by on his knees making smaller whirring noises miming a Slave Drone>
    Fernando: <taking charge> "All right - everyone gather around my Amazing Technicolour Gantt Chart ...
    <misery descends on meeting, thanks to Mr Practical Realities. Again>
    Gutier: <quietly; as inspiration strikes> "Wait a minute guys... what if I were to fix the fluff so there's only ONE Doctor for the whole faction?"

<cheering all round; every agrees that Gutier is a genius again; team knock off early for meal of octopus and wine>

:grin:

#9 Wolf, Mar 28, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    unclesrouce, DaRedOne and xagroth like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation