CB just deleted FOUR of my armies

Discussion in 'News' started by Time Bandit, Oct 14, 2024 at 1:16 PM.

1. Stiopa

Stiopa Trust The Fuckhead

Something being a joke doesn't mean it can't be nasty, offensive, or uncalled for. It's actually first line of defense of particular brand of people, "take that stick out of your ass, it's just a joke". And I'd very much prefer if we wouldn't use this here, it's incredibly lame. Yeah, "YJ tears" was a joke. It was also a stupid one, doubly so when used by a representative of a company to describe their customers unsatisfied with some major changes in how they can use their products.

Another thing that would be very nice is to admit that while the sky as a whole isn't falling and the changes being made might be good for the game in the long run, in the short run that sky will actually give some people a nasty bump, their complains aren't unwarranted, and dismissing them as being their choice is both callous and misguided. Again, on the surface of it we can agree, CB makes some choices first and the players can take it or leave it. But what would be best if CB finally learned to communicate with the playerbase about the changes they plan and helped people through them. These changes take a long time, nothing stops CB from announcing them earlier.

Imagine it being done this way: "Listen, in two years we will retire sectorials X, Y, Z; their rosters won't be in the Army because we won't have resources to maintain them, but upon retirement we will release them as PDFs so you can play them as legacy armies. Maybe we will introduce some minor tweaks as a parting gift. Those miniatures for these armies which won't be in other sectorials are already/will soon be oop. If someone made a decision and purchase just recently - sorry, we know it might be disappointing, but you still have those two years to either enjoy this army or move to another one. And while we're at it, upon their retirement we'll also release an official proxy guide for those willing to do so, to make it easier to still use your minis". I imagine that some people would still be complaining, but I think both quantity and volume of said complains would be significantly lower. Bottom line is that what CB really needs to overhaul is not only their product line, but also their communication policy, because it's quite good at generating hype - it convinced me to give PanO another try, which is saying something - but much worse at actually communicating with playerbase.

And another thing is that they do make major mistakes with their product line along the way. As @fari just said, saying that they need to cut down on the number or armies while releasing more of them can and will miff some people. Same goes for announcing the need to cut down number of SKUs, and then releasing a crapload of new units, many of which weren't really needed. Reinforcements were a hot mess, despite being sold as something well thought-out and extensively tested, which they were anything but; maybe N5 will overhaul them into something good, but I'll believe it when I'll see it. Bottom line 2, it's a company that makes products which I enjoy using, with degree of that enjoyment fluctuating over the years. As long as I enjoy it they do deserve my money. Some of the time they do deserve my trust, even if in limited, "wait and see, at some point they'll do it right", form. They do not deserve my devotion.

#181 Stiopa, Oct 18, 2024 at 12:49 PM
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2024 at 5:44 PM
  2. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

Given the comments I see from JSA and PanO, people want them.

We can go to lengthy debate about it if you want, but kestrel is a superiorly reworked Acontecimento, so its a comeback of the old sectorial and people asked for it.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  3. Wizzy

Wizzy Well-Known Member

I've seen more people asking for a return of Neoterra and Acontecimento in a modern sculpt for miniatures still in the N1/N2 version, than for a new sectorial.

4. Stiopa

Not exactly. People want it now, because what's being shown is actually quite nice, and I agree it looks like a superior rework of PanO's old design philosphy. I think it'll be a very good army, a good fit for those fond of Acon, hell, I'm about to start it, but it wasn't what people were asking for, @Wizzy is right about that.

5. bladerunner_35

bladerunner_35 Well-Known Member

Imagine where Infinity would be if CB gave in to the loudest critics. Every major change turns up the quality of the game. Certainly in the long run.

And with every major change a very vocal and very minor community swear of Infinity for ever.

I just wished all of them stopped posting as well…

6. fari

fari CRISTASOL, EL LIQUIDO DE LOS DIOSES

People liked them? Yes. People asked for new JSA and PanO sectorials before they got revealed? No. Is not the same.

You could take Acontecimento, said they formed an expedition team to colonize a new planet, resculpt their range and people would like it the same way as Kestrel

LaughinGod, UpirLihi and Stiopa like this.
  7. Stiopa

I'm not saying CB should be giving in to those voices. I'm saying that argument that CB gave people what they were asking for is false.

8. Child9

Child9 Well-Known Member

You were told a million times that CB has to get new stuff out, including new sectorials. This is how they have a valid business, not just by maintening old sectorials for which no one will ever buy new stuff, or by releasing a million miniatures for a single faction. Also, if a sectorial doesn't sell well, what are they supposed to do? Keep producing miniatures that doesn't sell? Keep spending time and money maintening profiles that are not used? Just to please whiny_fari? Of course not. ANY company in the world will stop producing and supporting something that doesn't sell well. On a similar note, when you see JSA is selling crazy well, what do you do as a company? You insist on that. You make them a full faction, with new minis, even if no one requested it. No one requested Uprising and yet, see how well it went, both for CB and players. Are you really not understanding these very basic concepts or are you just being of bad faith? Again, CB have numbers. You don't. So why do you pretend knowing better than them how to run their business? Damn, it's like these guys sitting on the couch watching professional football, yelling and acting like their are the coach, the referee and the players, all at once, except they are none of these.

#188 Child9, Oct 18, 2024 at 1:38 PM
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2024 at 1:44 PM
    Quiet Professional likes this.
  9. fari

Eat my ass, my Child, The company cannot say that it has too many sectorials and that they have to eliminate some to continue making the game work while releasing 2 new ones, spending more resources than if they had only renewed one of the old ones. It is not a coherent speech.

Oh, and CB is getting new stuff anyway. Or isnt Warcrow a new thing?

10. Stiopa

There are ways of doing it well and there are ways in doing it badly. What's more, SAA and NCA were oop for a long time, so it's hardly surprising people weren't buying them. Rework the sectorial, introduce new minis, and they will sell. Again, I'm hyped about Kestrel, but they way CB communicates their policy and then acts isn't consistent.

Also, stop insulting people, you already had one thread cleaned out because of it. @psychoticstorm, they're at it again.

11. Child9

Child9 Well-Known Member

I don't think we know each other well enough for your little ass eating fantasy, sorry :)
    Also, read my updated message.
    Yes, the company can absolutely say they have too many sectorials, get rid of old ones that doesn't sell well and release new ones. No coherency issue here. Again, that's how they have a business. Stop whining.

#191 Child9, Oct 18, 2024 at 1:45 PM
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2024 at 3:08 PM
  12. fari

And you stop defending bad practise. You are not gonna get credit in the company or inherit it.

And why retired sectorials dont sell or got played? Because they were not liked by the players, or because they were oop?

13. Child9

Child9 Well-Known Member

Sure, CB could and should communicate better about all of this, I fully agree on that and never said the opposite.

Insult? Where? I'm not the one asking other forumers to eat ass... :)

#193 Child9, Oct 18, 2024 at 1:48 PM
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2024 at 3:09 PM
  14. Child9

Child9 Well-Known Member

You are considering that bad practices. It's not a fact, just your opinion. I call it "making choices and running a business", something you clearly never had to do.

And you have absolutely no clue (as always) why some sectorials aren't selling. It could also be that their look doesn't attract people, for example.

P.S : Warcrow? Sure, go off-topic as much as you want! :)

15. Bignoob

Bignoob Well-Known Member

I’m maybe in the minority, but I’m absolutely stoked about KCF. I stopped buying a while ago and I really feel the craze for painting new PanO miniatures in a new colour scheme, and with a new sectorial dynamic.

Would I have had the opportunity to vote knowing what would happen, I would have voted KCF even knowing my beloved VIRD and SAA troopers would have stayed in the fridge for an indefinite amount of time

16. SpectralOwl

Very much so this. I adore the look of NCA's high-tech troops, and would have happily expanded my collection had CB actually had anything for sale. Despite my critical tone, I'm still in wait-and-see for how Kestrel turns out in full; whether it can fully replicate the playstyle of the Sectorials it is replacing with appropriate proxies is important, and doing it well will lead to me forgiving most of what's happened. The only real screw-ups in this wave IMO are the Achilles thing, and the truly awful information drip-feed- the Sectorial cancellation status and any dropped profiles need to be more up-front and accessible rather than in bits and pieces of info scattered through a half-dozen interviews, though the main-channel Sandtrap stuff is good for building hype and honestly, on its own merits, KCF looks like it has serious potential.
    By all means! Just because I'm critical doesn't mean I don't respect those with different opinions, I just don't like other people telling me I have no right to be unhappy. I hope you enjoy KCF, truly. If you're happy, let everyone know it to provide some balance to the detractors!

burlesford, Bignoob and Abrilete like this.
  17. Stiopa

Oh, I'm a fan of what we've seen of Kestrel as well. I really like how they managed to make PanO look more sinister. The minis shown in today's video are great

18. UpirLihi

UpirLihi Well-Known Member

KFC is good, even if I'm a Nomad and I'm absolutely not starting PanO for it. The main issue with KFC is that it is trying to be Acon 2.0 in playstyle, but somehow is not Acon 2.0 in lore and old Acon is now squatted. This, in my opinion was a bad and customer-unfriendly decision by CB.

Romiras and Quiet Professional like this.
  19. SpectralOwl

My litmus test for this is can you, one-for-one, play an Acon army as Kestrel without the weapons or troops being too different. We're still missing too much to get a full image of whether this is possible, though sadly the Guarda de Assaulto just seems gone with no replacement. If they can pull it off, then the Acon lore and look can be applied cleanly onto the new rules.

Brokenwolf and Errhile like this.
  20. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

One: I like your litmus test.

Two: regarding Guarda de Assalto, would parting the Guarda (to work as one HI or another) and pairing the Auxbot with another troop (say, to act as a Drummer team) count?

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation