CB just deleted FOUR of my armies

Discussion in 'News' started by Time Bandit, Oct 14, 2024 at 1:16 PM.

1. Modock

Modock Well-Known Member

I'd say it's pretty obvious that N5 was rushed. N4 was announced a whole year in advance, while N5 was only announced 3.5 months before it's release and
    we know Corvus Belli usually rolls out updates VERY slowly. Historically, every major event for Infinity has been tied to Gencon, but N5 is being released in November.
    Additionally, multiple sectorials will be discontinued at once, a first in Infinity's history. There are more clues, but I won’t delve into them.

It brings to mind the phrase: "Something is rotten in the state of Denmark."

LaughinGod, Teslarod and Lady Numiria like this.
  2. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

Or given the feedback and reaction of the year long announcement of N4 N5 was decided to be announced in a shorter time window.

Plus it is obvious in retrospect that they were working in N5 for at least the past at least year and a half, probably more.

3. Benkei

Benkei Well-Known Member

And we will launch a Kickstarter to fund the sculpt rework so we don't have to risk anything

4. Lucian

Lucian Catgirl Nation

Oh, and make it super limited and only a one-time thing!*
    *per army

5. StephanDahl

StephanDahl Well-Known Member

It is not limited to game development. It applies to any creative design process:
    https://semiengineering.com/shoot-the-engineer/

6. StephanDahl

StephanDahl Well-Known Member

There are also missed translations in the lore book; I don't think I've seen that before. A review pass or two extra would have caught those.

I'm a big fan of 80/20 solutions, ship-early-ship-often and fail-faster methodology (I don't work in mission critical design, obviously), so I don't really mind. It is noticable, though.

I really like what I've seen of N5 rules so far, so having it now instead of 2025 and getting fixes to typos and things dripfeeding over the next year is very much acceptable.

UpirLihi and burlesford like this.
  7. Delta57Dash

Delta57Dash Well-Known Member

No, no, you don't get to pull that excuse. The hell did you think it was, a compliment? Nah.

You knew it was an insult when you typed it, don't feign ignorance just because the mod called you on it. Own your mistakes and apologize for them. Be better.

8. Nimlothautle

Nimlothautle Well-Known Member

I'm deeply confused by the business decision to cancel Varuna.

Pan-o has 3 secotrials, one of which was clearly absurdly popular. MO's 300point box in N3 seemed to get poeple in anywhere and it was re-released, followed up by an MO expansion. Then Pan-o got winter for. and it was clear Pan-o had its 3 secotrials. Winter For, Varuna, and MO.

Why in N5 would you launch a the new edition with a brand new Pan-o sectorial then? I'd actually understand it more if Kestrel was released as a fourth sectorial for Pan-o saying '3 sectorials is the goal, but sorry, Pan-o just sells so well in this they are getting a 4th'. Cancelling Varuna along with it while still selling the Varuna starter up until the end is just nasty. If I wanted to get into say, Morats how long are they supported for? CA has 3 sectorials already and is clearly a very popular faction, which sectorial will be removed 6 months from now when they announce the next brand new flashy CA box?***

I understand both sides here. When Corvus Belli promised that MRRF, Caledonia, QK, NCA, ASA, etc. would remain in the game as rules only and that the catalog of miniatures would become rotating. They made that promise in good faith, because they believed the could maintain that. The harsh reality is the couldn't, and I have no reason to believe there was anything other than good faith here. However, I hope everyone can also understand why many many players who had these factions and trusted Corvus Belli would be upset that the promise was not kept.

I also understand that Spiral Corps was released in good faith, with the hope maybe one day it would provide a good bed of hype for an eventual relaunch of Tohaa, and maybe at worst a cool Tohaa to spin-off to play. But it was not popular and it didn't sell well. That's sad for me, but also sad for Corvus Belli..

To me though, the cancellation of Varuna was not in good faith. What the removal of Varuna in exchange for Kestrel says to me is that Corvus Belli is moving into an era of "Infinity as a Service". Where new factions and sectorials are released to replace perfectly service-able and supportable sectorials solely to force you to buy models. Where as a new release or resculpt might have stood on it's own merits in the past, and you would buy them because you wanted them. Now if you want to play infinity at all, you need to keep up with a rolling and constantly changing line up of factions and sectorials.

***This is just theoretical for the purposes of illustrating the point. I want to be clear that I DO NOT have any insider knowledge of Corvus Belli's plans or release schedule.

#108 Nimlothautle, Oct 15, 2024 at 2:37 PM
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2024 at 2:43 PM
    UpirLihi, Stiopa, RolandTHTG and 6 others like this.
  9. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

However, given yesterday's vid, can we say definitely that those sectorials were cancelled?

From what I heard in it, the only sectorial that was absolutely, positively cancelled is the spiral.
    All the others - I think we can expect them to come back in time. Though, true, they won't be available on the N5 release day.
    Hardly a new thing, I recall at the start of N3 we had no sectorials for a month or two.

10. Nimlothautle

Nimlothautle Well-Known Member

It's definitely something I would like to know ASAP from Corvus, but for now I'm going off the information they have made available: an official marketing video with a chart of factions with Varuna not listed as a sectorial of Pan-o. No commentary was provided in the video about Varuna or any of the other factions from N4 not shown in the chart. It's good to communicate clearly and effectively when people's time, money and passion are involved.

11. Azakel

Azakel Well-Known Member

The PanO community has been asking for a redesign of the faction for a long time... and it seems that CB have probably opted for a complete reboot with Kestrel as a base.

It is clearly a long-term decision... We'll see if the pros of the reboot outweigh the cons or not in the long.
    But in the short term it is an unfair blow for Varuna obviously... It's not nice. Not discontinuing Varuna's miniatures or have announced sooner was a mistake... a slightly dirty move for the consumer.

I guess that is the reason why in PanO Vanilla there is only 5% of MO... to leave room for the bulk of NCA and VIRD, so their miniatures can continue to be played at the moment... both sectorials are inside Vanilla almost completely.

#111 Azakel, Oct 15, 2024 at 3:38 PM
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2024 at 3:44 PM
  12. Lady Numiria

Lady Numiria Cyberius TaskForce

A good faith argument, sadly countered by the sheer amount of Kestrel and Sval in it too, and the lack of key pieces from NCA and VIRD (Kamau for instance) to use it as a valid point.

UpirLihi, Daireann and Bignoob like this.
  13. Azakel

Azakel Well-Known Member

I think 99% of Kestrel is in Vanilla PanO because is the new motor of PanO.
    Sval doesn't have that much presence in Vanilla PanO... 3 of 7 units properly uniques.

They could have left the Kamaus as an act of goodwill... I admit it.

Daireann and Bignoob like this.
  14. Bignoob

Bignoob Well-Known Member

I fully would have loved the Kamaus to be there, but I think they are somewhat similar to the Bolts and Nisse (at least in terms of roles they are having in their respective sectorial).

The Bolts being under redesign, makes sense to keep them. But they could indeed have ditched the Nisse, kept them for SWF, and kept the Kamaus for Vanilla

15. Benkei

Benkei Well-Known Member

Kestrel is full on PanO Vanilla for the same reason Reinforcement boxes are: they want to sell the boxes. It's painfully obvious.

LaughinGod likes this.
  16. Romiras

Romiras Member

“Legends” status for these armies seems like the best option in my opinion.

A cheap and effective way to keep everybody happy.

Army cancellation is a very, very bad idea. I understand that CB wants to bring new players to a more polished and straightforward version of the game, but alienating your core audience is a bad idea.

Hope at least somebody from the team reads these forums. Wish N5 and CB all the best.

#116 Romiras, Oct 15, 2024 at 4:44 PM
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2024 at 10:38 PM
    Serious Bob likes this.
  17. Lady Numiria

Lady Numiria Cyberius TaskForce

then explains why we have Scarecrow, Nokken, Locust and Croc-Men all in vpano... despite all of them competing for the same niche (they even have the same skills for a lot of them)

UpirLihi and LaughinGod like this.
  18. Bignoob

Huh?

Nokken and Locust are not comparable to Crocmen and scarecrows. As of when we can compare infiltration+hidden deployment+camo troopers with non camo+non hidden deployment troopers?

Please...

Nokken and Locust are comparable (2 units)
    Crocmen and Scarecrows are comparable (2 units)

Isn't it exactly what I said? 2 similar units? Bolts and Kamaus?

19. SpectralOwl

They do the same job as Skirmishers. It's just that Locusts are rubbish at it, and Nokk are better for aggression than scoring since they're cheap and can take a Spitfire. That said, Locusts may have some actual play if they either see a redesign (please, for the love of Joan, give the HUMINT operatives a forward observer...) or DTWs see a significant reduction in numbers.

Gwynbleidd and Lady Numiria like this.
  20. Bignoob

Yes Locust and Nokken are comparable. Not with hidden deployment camo troopers.

A Swiss guard is more comparable to a Cutter than a Nokken to a Croc man

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation