CB just deleted FOUR of my armies

Discussion in 'News' started by Time Bandit, Oct 14, 2024 at 1:16 PM.

1. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

It’s not ideal, but it’s what CH feels they need to do. Mourn, then decide how you want to move forward. And recognize that if you decide you don’t want to proxy or find a way to move forward with your already extant minis, that it’s an active election that you are choosing to make. CB provides ways to continue using those minis, so deciding not to is entirely on you.

2. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

Still, if you feel a need to simply vent out your frustration about your lost armies and the effort you've put into making them as fully WYSIWYG as humanly possible, and fully painted to that...

...then I I find it entirely understandable and very, very human thing to do. ​

3. Benkei

Benkei Well-Known Member

This reads like a corporate excuse from CB lol. "We removed your faction, but if you don't want to use your minis for other things it's your fault"

Tristan228, LaughinGod, Kaek and 5 others like this.
  4. MATRAKA14

MATRAKA14 Well-Known Member

From beginning to end MRRF died as it lived, unplayable.
    The most miserable stream of barebone updates a sectorial has ever had.

LaughinGod likes this.
  5. Rebel-187

Rebel-187 Well-Known Member

I could have somehow lived loosing SAA! NCA is vanilla now it seems with loosing the cool Uhlan! All somehow ok but not nice!
    Loosing my vavorite Varuna hits hard! And introducing KFC fpr this makes the hard hit going to the balls! Come one CB delete Hollow Man from Tunguska and i can quit tabletop at all since there is no one wo would play Battletech with me!

Well i could save a load of money then that i could invest in Star Citizen!

Bignoob likes this.
  6. Child9

Child9 Well-Known Member

Well, CB didn't "remove" any faction. Let's use the proper words.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  7. Bignoob

Bignoob Well-Known Member

Bolt action maybe?

8. micropoint

micropoint Member

Lost Acon and Varuna, I have a personal policy of voting with my vallet and not buying from company that deletes my miniatures from game (cheers GW & PP), though to be honest I was ready to lose Acon as the signs were in the air for a long time, Varuna on the other hand was still rather new, and deleting them does leave a bitter aftertaste (Spiral was quite new as well).

Rules changes do seem quite good, and could proxy of course, but I think I'll just pass. For those who say "wait till November", I don't mind waiting, and as matter of fact I'll wait and see what N6 brings, like Varuna and Acon maybe?

I've always wandered why the need to add so many sectorials when I feel like CB could easily sell updated models of older sectorials (and update the sectorials while at it), then again, I'm not running their business.

emperorsaistone, Kaek and Daireann like this.
  9. Child9

Child9 Well-Known Member

Because new stuff sells better than updated old stuff. If you already have a fully painted sectorial, you are way less likely to buy an updated version of the models (that will cost money "for nothing", you will have to paint again, and then what will you do with the old ones?) rather than a brand new sectorial for your faction. It's just as easy as that. The bad and inevitable side effect is that the number of sectorials keeps growing and growing, to a point where it becomes a nightmare to manage and maintain properly. And unfortunately, CB makes a living by selling miniatures and only by selling miniatures...

10. Crusader

Crusader Well-Known Member

Wasn't stated in the rumours / preview interviews that the shelved sectorials and units will have a PDF rule set to use outside of Army8?

P.S: OP don't bash GW with false claims about discontinuing armies. They announced the removal of models / armies in 1 year of advance and they'll get legend rules even after that time period. Plus Beast of Chaos army just switches setting AND retains its Legend rules too.

#50 Crusader, Oct 14, 2024 at 10:00 PM
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2024 at 10:07 PM
  11. Benkei

Benkei Well-Known Member

Was Varuna being sold in that PanO/JSA sale in CB's store like a month back when they announced Sandtrap?

12. Deus Kalsa

Deus Kalsa Member

I losing
    Varuna
    Shock Army
    NCA
    Spiral (okay never played so much)

Foreign Company
    Druze
    Star Co
    White Company

I am not happy

burlesford and Time Bandit like this.
  13. Delta57Dash

Delta57Dash Well-Known Member

Druze and White Company are still in N5

14. Time Bandit

Time Bandit Vulnerability (Total)

I'll just sign off by responding to all the repeated, glib, "jeez, just proxy, gawd" comments at once...

1) I have four cameronians, all converted with greenstuff kilts, painted. They look awesome. I could proxy one as a furry scottish Sphinx, I guess? I will never use them all, there is no army in the game that now exists to do that. Shame, because they were an awesome sight, barrelling across the table at you on turn 1! They are painted and modelled as specific things, those things are now arbitrarily removed from the game.

2) I'm a painter, I paint for effect. Complementary colours, thematic bases, decals for unit ID, etc. I often win best painted at tournamnets I go to. It takes effort and care to do that, and I think it raises people's enjoyment of the game aesthetically to face a coherent, beautiful army. There's no way I'm fielding a butcher's dozen of cancelled minis as proxies, all with different lighting levels, basing and colour palettes. You may not be into painting, that's fine, but don't generalise from that to other hobbyists. To some of us it matters a lot, and this behaviour from CB hits us where it hurts. If you play with a bag of silver minis, they may all look interchangeable, I suppose? I dunno... I can't think of any other reason for someone to think all their minis are completely fungible! :D

3) It's not just the models, it's the army. You think long and hard about what army to invest in, you read the lore, learn the ropes, identify with them as Your Guys©, build rivalries with other players, tell stories. That's what you're losing, the continuation of a narrative with them; your past play and your future plans. We're narrative creatures, don't act like we're not when assessing people's enjoyment of such a clearly narrative & thematic game.

4) Your opponent will rightly get a bit pissy if you rock up with Señor Massacre as your yaogat, Valkyrie as your shrouded, and securitate as your ikadrons, and they will find it hard to track the game. Proxying has hard limits in the contexts of actual lived games.

5) Being proxy permissive is different from a company enforcing proxying because they no longer support a product through wilful obsolescence... one allows for creativity and vision when assembling a force, or a ramp on when learning a new army. The other is something very different, a wooden spoon cut from the GW tree, and it's equivocation to pretend they're identical.

Think I'll leave it there for this thread, but please carry on without me. TBH I didn't expect to hear from so many players defending this behaviour! I would suggest that it's pretty tone deaf: there but for the grace of god go me & my armies, and all that.

15. Deus Kalsa

Deus Kalsa Member

Over see it okay 6 armies
    Feeling so much better know

Losing 3 of my major list feels still getting ball busted again and again

16. Stiopa

Stiopa Trust The Fuckhead

Well, removal of Varuna was definitely a surprise. I expected PanO to keep four sectorials. And while I have absolutely no skin in the game - I've only kept SEF and MAF, sold off the rest some time ago - I very much understand how people who are about to lose the possibility to play several of their armies may be a tad upset. Also, while I agree that even if someone's army goes offline they still keep their minis it's equally true that many of us chooses their armies for their flavour. My first army was Acon, and while Kestrel gives a lot of the same vibes it's not the same thing and for now it's hard to tell if it'll feel equally cool as "Catachans with actual tech base" did. And if someone put in time to create unique loadout or otherwise convert a unit which won't be easily playable in N5, that time is indeed lost.

To err on the skeptical side, I don't expect many of the axed units to end up in sectorials that were left, as most of them simply wouldn't fit there. It's more likely - though hard to tell how much more likely - that some of them to find their way into Reinforcements, as these seem easier to fit them in. Still, even if it'll happen it will only affect some of the profiles, just like not everything out of NCA roster made it to PanO Ref force.

Official proxy guidelines would be nice, but honestly, it's something any experienced player will be able to put together in a single evening. Once we'll know the full rosters and stats for new units we should be able to sit down and create some community guides for it.

Additionally, I'd suggest people with armies on the way out to archive current version of Army, and test how playable they'll be after N5 lands. It might very well be that they'll still be viable. Maybe there will be an option for event organisers to allow legacy armies as well?

#56 Stiopa, Oct 14, 2024 at 10:30 PM
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2024 at 10:53 PM
  17. micropoint

micropoint Member

You may well be right, don't have the data to say this way or that way, nonetheless, remaking MO a couple of times appears to have worked out, though it may simply have to do with general popularity of the faction.

Time Bandit likes this.
  18. fari

fari CRISTASOL, EL LIQUIDO DE LOS DIOSES

Watching the video, the worst part was hearing the confirmation that OOP sectorials will not come back later. Thats a definitive goodbye to very charismatical factions, until CB decide to rescue them for a new rework several years later

surfimp and Abrilete like this.
  19. Kaek

Kaek Well-Known Member

Hard agree

20. Bignoob

Bignoob Well-Known Member

I fully fully agree with you. And as a player who really, but REALLY, enjoys fielding as much WYSIWYG as possible (or else I wouldn’t have a hundred+ of fully painted PanO minis), I am too sad to see several dozen of my beloved miniatures not being playable anymore.

I also dislike the precedent all of this creates. Not more than 2 weeks ago I mentioned on Reddit that CB was known to keep 99% of the miniatures playable. And it really saddens me that this doesn’t hold true anymore.

But I can also understand CB move from:

1. a business running perspective.
    2. to keep focus on a balanced gameplay that would be quite hard to do with so many sectorials.

Time Bandit likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation