September>December 2024: Nuclear winter has struck, leaving room for the N5

Discussion in 'News' started by Wizzy, Aug 12, 2024.

1. StephanDahl

StephanDahl Well-Known Member

Bostria did promise crashing servers...

2. archon

archon Well-Known Member

Yes. Whiteco ist most boring NA2 with the least flavourfull lore.

14:10 in the video Bostria says that the grey one (making the salut gestic) is required to make the fireteam - which points us to the keyword that is required - later it was also mentioned for the Kestral team. Its the same proceedure like in N4. The keyword makes the purity level.

Quiet Professional and Daireann like this.
  3. Delta57Dash

Delta57Dash Well-Known Member

The keyword does not make the purity level in N4; if you have a fireteam with 1 Domaru and 3 Kempeitai and the Domaru dies, the resulting Kempeitai fireteam becomes a Pure Haris, despite the fact that they cannot create a 3-person fireteam on their own.

That said, I appreciate the timestamp as I missed that the first time around, though that still leaves a lot of ambiguity as to how the bonuses are calculated. Would be nice if CB could step in and officially clarify it.

4. Brokenwolf

Brokenwolf Well-Known Member

Jannisaries dropping 3-4 points or more would be great. BS 14 is going to be more important in N5, and i would love for Janissary HMG version to be a little cheaper than the Griffin HMG.

Cadwallon likes this.
  5. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

BTW something we have NOT seen yet is how Fireteams are in ARO. For all we know, they no longer get a +1 burst in ARO. Or it's only the leader who can ARO and not everyone.

Quiet Professional likes this.
  6. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

We will see.
    Including whether the Janissaries will keep their BS 14. They didn't had it pre-N4.

What is more interesting is the price reduction seems to be likely applied to MI as well.

Cadwallon and Brokenwolf like this.
  7. archon

archon Well-Known Member

It does. Its a Kempetai Keisotsu FT. The Domaru has not the keyword. You got the bonus for a 4 man team, which is B+1 and 6th. The Domaru dies and now its pure Kempetai Keisotsu with +3 discover and B+1 (size and keyword boni). In N5 there is no separete size bonus anymore. Only purity matters ;-)

Translated to N5 you have a L3 team. You lose the Domaru - nothing changes - except your flexibility in combat enviorment (iE you lose CC power, the better BS of the Domaru etc.)

I think they also mentioned that the same rule will be in action. B+1 (ARO is still reduced to 1) discard one dice. At Nov. 18 we have the full rules.

€dith: Mixmatched Kempetai and Keisotsu ...

#1107 archon, Oct 14, 2024 at 9:21 PM
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2024 at 9:52 PM
  8. archon

archon Well-Known Member

I hope they will loose it. It not fits the standard-HI its Pan O turf. ARM 5 for Brigadas can also go - never understand why they pour out this random stuff. Maybe they roll the dices again und we got ECM Hacking-3 for Brigadas and X-Visors for Jannis and some useless CC+3 for Zouyong ;-)

LaughinGod, Daireann and Benkei like this.
  9. Mcgreag

Mcgreag Well-Known Member

It's a bit strange that they change the JSA logo because of the baggage of the old one but then still include dice with the old logo.

10. Delta57Dash

Mechanically correct, but just as clarification, the name of the Fireteam doesn't matter.

There is no "Kempeitai" Fireteam in the Fireteam charts for JSA; strictly speaking, that is still a "Domaru Fireteam - Core". The fact that it no longer has any Domaru is irrelevant. It also will continue to eat the "Core" slot despite only holding 3 members, which prevents the formation of any additional Cores unless it is disbanded first (at which point it cannot be reformed).

The current ambiguity is whether or not, under the new N5 rules, that Domaru + 3 Kempeitai team would be considered Level 3, both before and after the Domaru dies. Some say it is only level 1, as it is a "Domaru" fireteam, so only the "Domaru" counts. I'm of the same opinion as you, that it's the majority Purity that matters, and it would be Level 3, as if it was otherwise I feel Carlos would've put emphasis on that in the video. But technically CB didn't clarify, hence this minor debate.

11. archon

archon Well-Known Member

Sorry! Somehow I read Kempetai as Keisotsu ... yes there is no Kemptai FT as they are WC. So your example in N4 would make them also a pure Keisotsu team (because they have the keyword) as you stated correctly they are still a core of three members.

In N5 it would be A L1 Domaru team. Selected from "Domaru Fireteam" but only one is Domrau the three others are just fillers that will not give any boni. If - assuming we have the same chart as now for JSA - they are build as 1 Keisotsu, 2 Kempetai and 1 Domaru it is a L3 pure team "Keisotsu" with a Domaru as a useful filler.

The examples in the video are all 5 member team only the pure/grey members are raising.

sry again for the confusion :upside_down_face:I edited my post

12. Delta57Dash

And this is why the name of the fireteam mattering is a silly argument, because in N4, they would not be considered a Keisotsu Fireteam, they would be considered a Domaru fireteam. The death of the Domaru does not magically destroy the Domaru fireteam and reform a Keisotsu Fireteam. And nothing in the rules says anything about the name of the Fireteam mattering.

The only things that the rules actually state that matter are that A: the Fireteam be legal at the time of creation, which is the only time the name of the Fireteam is brought up at all, and that B: whether or not the Fireteam benefits from Purity bonuses at the time an order or ARO is declared.

There is zero precedent for whether or not the name will matter in N5. The only supporting evidence is that quote from Bostria, but his intent is extremely unclear. Furthermore, he still does not reference the name of the fireteam, only that the unit is required to form the fireteam, which would make the Duo Griffin example for earlier a Level 2 (as the Griffin fits that description) despite the Griffin not being a "Kestrel" unit. He also does not specify whether or nor the Grey troop is the only troop that counts for determining Fireteam Level.

Until CB steps in and clarifies the situation, there is no winning this argument for either side; merely speculation and inference.

Time Bandit and Deus Kalsa like this.
  13. Azakel

Azakel Well-Known Member

The most reasonable thing is that everything continues as before to determine the purity of the link (troop names)... since it would not make sense for the Griffin to be * (part of the mandatory range) and cannot form a pure link in the Kestrel Fireteam.

Daireann and Delta57Dash like this.
  14. archon

archon Well-Known Member

But there is a Keisotsu team. Maybe you are right, they created as an Domaru team but I would say yes they now magicaly transformed to a Keisotsu team because of the keyword. An assumption or so far yes. But still we work already with keywords.

But I dont want to fill the thread with our little dispute - so we wait and see, what the actual rules say :hugging_face: my bet is still on the keywords.

15. Space Ranger

IF it’s the case that Duo teams get +1 B in ARO. Then I can see a lot of players doing many Pure Duos. But it still has its limitations of needing to be PURE as well as SWC, Points, and AVA. I can see multiple Fusiliers teams or Senku teams, but I'm not sure how effective they will be.

For example, the only pure KFC duos are (again assuming that as long as it’s the same troop it gets the bonus):

Fennec
    2 Fusiliers
    1 Fusilier + 1 Griffin

Kestrel
    2 Griffin?
    2 Firefly

Armored
    2 Tikbalang?
    2 Squalo?

Corp
    2 Magistrate
    2 Jakal
    1 Magistrate + 1 Jakal

Then of course the few wildcards.

Azakel likes this.
  16. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

Its the same as the previous editions were the shells were smart proximity fuses, but instead of been a teardrop blast originating from the base of the target and creating endless debates about angle and trajectory especially after 10+ inches they are now a blast and that stops all debates, more so the blast prevents using shotguns as a template in close proximity to the shooter making a CC approach especially with more than one models moving to the target a possibility, but Shotguns remain a punishing force for a group of models clustered together, but not so for straight lines.

What the community said and expected 3+1 was never what CB ever said, so they were not "easy on their word" as they never gave their word on the subject.

MO has two (three) units in Generic list Teutons, Crux team (and Joan) SWF has two, No I am not counting either Fusiliers or Orcs as "SWF" units as they are truly generic units and in my eyes are either NCA or Varuna Units.

Without having any drastic indication that purity has changed as a design concept, and we have none of this, a fireteams purity is centered around the same units or unit that count as X, and this is what we was told in the video, so a unit that has X troops from the same unit (and or troops that count as X) will have the bonuses for X level or fireteam.

That would be wrong, a Haris fireteam with a fennec fusilier and two Black A.I.R. would have a fireteam purity of two.

17. Space Ranger

How? Black aire do not count as Fennec.from what I see. You need at least 2 Fennec troops to gain level 2. So either 2 Fusiliers or a Fusilier and a griffin.

18. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

Why would you need that? assuming nothing changed and nobody said anything has changed in purity composition, purity is solely based on the amount of models that are from the same unit (or count as the same unit) in a fireteam.

If nothing else the video says the same, four same troops not four troops that have the fireteam keyword.

#1118 psychoticstorm, Oct 15, 2024 at 3:37 AM
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2024 at 3:46 AM
  19. Space Ranger

You need to have the key word Fennec or Kestrel to determine the number of troops that give the bonus. Otherwise what's the point of having them. If they all get it the bonus even if mixed, why have the key word at all?

20. Stiopa

Stiopa Trust The Fuckhead

The keywords are used only to allow certain different troops to still form a cohesive fireteam; in this case Fennecs, Griffins, and two of the wildcard characters. If you wouldn't have the keywords, the only way to make a pure 5-man team would be to link 5 Fennec Fusis.

The bonuses are calculated basing on the largest number of troopers from the same unit. looking at Kestrel fireateam for examples:
    • 3 Griffin are lvl3 Haris (3 troops from the same unit, easy)
    • 2 Griffin and Hetkari are lvl2 Haris (2 troops from the same unit, one outlier)
    • 2 Griffin and a Firefly are lvl3 Haris (2 troops from the same unit, plus Firefly counting towards lvl3 because of Kestrel keyword)
    • Griffin, Firefly, and Hetkari are lvl2 Haris (either Griffin or Hetkari can count as lvl1, and Firefly provides second trooper for that lvl2)
    • Firefly, Hetkari, and Quinn are lvl3 Haris again (Hetkari for lvl1, two troopers with Kestrel keyword to bring it to lvl3)
    • Griffin, Hetkari, Pathfinder are lvl1 Haris (three different units, no keywords)

At least this is how I understand the system. It's possible that I'm missing the point myself.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation