Changes to Yu Jing you want

Discussion in 'Yu Jing' started by Space Ranger, Aug 3, 2024.

1. Law Dawg

Law Dawg Well-Known Member

The concepts for the new units are nice, but, ugh Gudan 孤胆 is even a worse name than I thought because it can be read as "lonely gall bladder".

Seriously CB, consult some native speakers. It's not that hard.

On the plus side, I'm looking forward to ISS update. They're what drew me to Yu Jing in the first place!

2. HokutoAndy

HokutoAndy Member

GuDan is a fine name, there's a mainland Chinese movie with that name about a special forces cop who has to fight a crocodile in SEA.

I think the Korean movie Man from Nowhere has a similar CH name.

https://baike.baidu.com/item/孤胆/64220196

I'm looking forward to a Bao refresh, visor festooned light armored door kickers and roof snipers.

Cranes finally gonna get that 6-2 I bet.

burlesford and Space Ranger like this.
  3. Law Dawg

It may be a movie title, doesn't make it a good name for a military unit. The language just isn't used that way and sounds weird and unnatural.

My wife, when shown the name without context, had the same reaction as mine, "single gall bladder? WTF is that?" I showed her it's a movie and she said "terrible name". We get what they're going for, but it only works in a very specific context because that's how our language works.

Whatever, I will live with it.

I do agree Bao rework would be great.

4. Daireann

Daireann Well-Known Member

Well, CB had some fails and just funny moments in naming.
    Here it could be strange, but not insulting, I hope x)
    ADDED LATER
    OK, now I see. It looks just strange... Ok. Here some small consulting could be good.

@Law Dawg, I wonder about faction name itself. Could it be red in some wrong way?

I like funny names on russian in Ariadna. But usually it fits well and have some irony in it.
    So it was funny but not awkward.

At my taste main fail in names is khawarijes.

Ok, if to talk about new units, I like them.
    I also saw, that we would not get some sectorials missing. Plus? Plus. I like all of them.
    But sectorials are smaller than generic pool.
    — What White banner would loose? Now I have only this sectorial. And a couple of other units.
    I would not be sad about most of the named units end mecs. Especially if we would get some good cheap options instead of a beasthunter. (we have a candidate)
    - the other question is, what would happen to korean units. Now they exist in WB. CB are going to make reinforcements as usual part of the game, but I hope, I would be able to get jujak + hwarang fireteam. I hope it would be possible.

#224 Daireann, Oct 4, 2024
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2024
    Space Ranger likes this.
  5. archon

archon Well-Known Member

Very good news for Yu Jing here! Update for ISS with a cool medium TAG that brings non-leathal weaponary besides his HMG. I like that approach.
    WB seems to get two new units. The leaked Silver Snakes wich turns out to be TAG hunters with lots of AP (maybe an AP MMR with hopfuly PS-1 (if I got this right). And some new LI that will be upgraded Zhanshis I guess. Cool stuff.

I think you don´t mean that too serious, but my last game with WB had 2 Hwarang, 2 Shaolin and Liang Kai and the Beasthunter - pretty much MA on the table. Only the Combi-Hwarang made a CC kill though ;-)

Law Dawg, Space Ranger and Daireann like this.
  6. Law Dawg

Yu Jing is an ok name. Nothing wrong with it but not spectacular either.

There's a Chinese fan translated Infinity website that made minor adjustments to many Yu Jing unit names just so they make more sense and less awkward. See, it's not hard to get it right. Fans would do it for free.

Daireann and burlesford like this.
  7. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

Yeah I think they should just use the name in English maybe. I like them using Chinese names but I would like it more if it was done right and not a joke. I know my friend is going to see this and laugh his ass off at it.

So it's hard to see but the preview of the video shows a troop on a flying bike. The troop in front I at first thought it was a Hsien but then noticed he has more "eyes". Could be a re-sculpt to represent the MSV2 and a "third eye" in Chinese mythology. The Chinese immortal Er Lang had a third eye that could see all and destroy demons.

Daireann and Law Dawg like this.
  8. Law Dawg

I thought that was a Hsien too but you're right the helmet does look different.

Space Ranger likes this.
  9. Henshini

Henshini Well-Known Member

I suggested the same thing a while ago, localize every name so that we don’t get this same complaint that a future pan Asian language is too close to modern Chinese that people moan about every syllable. It also cleans up weird things like the imperial agents going crane->pheasant->zhanying rather than just eagle.

Daireann and Space Ranger like this.
  10. Henshini

Henshini Well-Known Member

I’m poking fun at the fact that yu jing has the “tax” of slightly higher cc than comparable troops but not enough to actually ever want to cc with zanshis or zuyongs compared to the higher wip, phys and bs other factions got that were much more useful on top of which, when jsa was split off, yu jing was left with one or two decent cc units plus a pity ninja.

11. HokutoAndy

HokutoAndy Member

Taking each character literally will give the wrong impression of what the Chinese meaning is. So yes, "solitary gallbladder" is the literal character by character meaning. But those two characters together means a "Loner" "Single Handed (facing greater odds)". It's often followed by other characters to further give context, like "-gunman" or "-hero" so the meaning is 孤胆英雄 "Lone Hero" 孤胆枪手 "Lone Gunman", but sometimes it's used just as those two characters.

Gallbladders have a connotation of bravery and righteousness, "The gallblader is the organ of justice" is what the popular Traditional Chinese Medicine book Suwen (素問) says:
    "素问曰。胆者、中正之官。决断出焉"

There's context based stuff in EN too that would also be silly if taken without context, etc. in mind.

-----

Localizing every name would be a fair solution, but the funk ups and possible typos like "Hac Tao" have become endearing of what Infinity is about. It's like when Japanese manga has hyper cowboy gun hamburger Americans to represent the "idea" of foreign-to-Asians westerness.

Yu Jing's stated role is to be the Oriental Threat vs Relatable Western Knights of Democracy. Yu Jing is Avatar's Fire Nation bent on world domination, Ra's al Ghul plotting yet again to kill the Batman, the brilliant Fu Manchu confounding the combined intellect of the West, Dr. No shooting lasers at the crotch of James bond, and so on. It's all hokey fun, with very cool power armor. Now the forbidden city death cops herding brainwashed suicide-bombers are getting their refresh, so it'll be even more fun.

Time Bandit and Space Ranger like this.
  12. Law Dawg

That's exactly what I mean: you need context - extra words like hero or person. Gudan is pretty much never used by itself. Yes I know in Chinese medicine the gallbladder is associated with bravery and the character has both meanings, which just adds to the confusion - ask a group of Chinese what it means without context and some will say bravery while many will say gallbladder because "Dan" by itself without other modifying characters is most often used in the context of gallbladder.

SturmOgre likes this.
  13. SpectralOwl

I won't lie, half of my reasons for being so disappointed PanO never does anything with Australia is that we'll never get to see how CB charmingly mangle the local culture.

14. Phototoxin

Phototoxin Active Member

Lol I suppose it would fit better although I feel like they're getting lots of new toys at the moment

15. iKon

iKon Not Very Well-Known Member

Making Crocmen Maori is pretty egregious if you ask me.

16. Space Ranger

I'm bored. So I'm taking a stab at what I think the N5 White Banner and ISS will be made up of. It looks like from the sectorals we have seen, that they are roughly 30-33 troops. So I do think there will be cuts in some of them.

WB is currently at 41troops (not counting ITS troops). The below is what I think will be cut. Putting WB at a total of 37 including the new Gudan and Silver Snakes. I realized Shang Ji is probably controversial but I feel like Jujak should be the main HI of WB. SJ are for IA. I also need to take something out to get to the numbers. It's still off by about 3-5 but I don't know what else could come out.

Something they could also do is split Adil. White Banner gets the MI version, and ISS gets the Crane version.

──────────────────────────────────────────────────
    [​IMG]6
    CHIEF JEONG Combi Rifle, Light Rocket Launcher, D-Charges / Pistol, CC Weapon. (0 | 30)
    OKTAVIA Missile Launcher, Contender / Heavy Pistol, CC Weapon. (1.5 | 28)
    LÉI GŌNG Shock Marksman Rifle, Nanopulser, Blitzen / Breaker Pistol, CC Weapon. (0 | 34)
    QIANG GĀO Heavy Machine Gun, Nanopulser / Breaker Pistol(+1B), CC Weapon. (1.5 | 45)
    SHÀNG JÍ MULTI Rifle, Chain-colt / Pistol, Shock CC Weapon. (0 | 36)
    KUNAI NINJA MULTI Sniper Rifle / Pistol, Shock CC Weapon. (1.5 | 34)
    4.5 SWC | 207 Points
    Open in Infinity Army

ISS is currently at 37. We know they are getting Long Wang and possibly the Feiquan for total 39 minus the below to be 34 troops. I really wish the Sophotech would come out to be replaced by a cheaper doctor and Engineer though.

──────────────────────────────────────────────────
    [​IMG]5
    BOUNTY HUNTER Combi Rifle / Pistol, PARA CC Weapon(-6). (0 | 15)
    SFORZA (Surprise Attack [-3], Holoprojector) Viral Rifle, Adhesive Launcher(+1B), Nanopulser ( ) / Heavy Pistol, PARA CC Weapon(-6). (0 | 28)
    MIRANDA ASHCROFT MULTI Rifle, Nanopulser / Pistol, Monofilament CC Weapon. (0 | 24)
    KUNAI NINJA MULTI Sniper Rifle / Pistol, Shock CC Weapon. (1.5 | 34)
    TÁOWÙ E/Marat, Flash Pulse / Viral Pistol, PARA CC Weapon(-6). (0 | 21)
    1.5 SWC | 122 Points
    Open in Infinity Army

17. Crusader

Crusader Well-Known Member

I think WB will lose the Guija before the Shang-Jis. And Bixie too is on the chopping block me thinks.

18. Space Ranger

Bixie's story has her being from Huangdi so I don't think so.

I thought maybe the Guijia as well.

BTW. Invincible Army already has only 29 troops. So there's nothing to worry about loosing anything. In fact I would like them to gain something.

Time Bandit likes this.
  19. archon

archon Well-Known Member

IIRC is was so before the comic book came out. After that they put both versions in both sectorials. From the storyline it makes totaly sense both version were split.

Cleaning a sectorial by throw out the units that they just decided to put in both is not realy cleaning. The IA chars came later to WB. None of them was realy needed. We also could live without Shang Ji but like Orcs they can be everywhere, not just in IA. In that case it would be enough to just lower the AVA. Now we have Hätärätätä and friends to close that gap - if there will be any. Also its not 100 % that all the RF Koreans will stay in WB.

Oktavia was the free miniature with the N4 book. Fluffwise she is available in both Svarlaheima armys. She was never a good profile, but I like her story and the miniature. The regular one even more but I refuse to buy it, because who needs two versions of miniature that you barly use in the game? Very unpleasant. I hope she will get a second chance. A good way to make her work is the integration in a fireteam - I mean boyg can do so also and its B14 (has 2 vita and better armour). And shas even has the option to do it.

Kunai Ninja will also not be missed. With the Sulsa we have better. But again they fight vor both sides.

ISS will get a big update. It would not taste good, if they loose their iconic ABH. Taowu is more or less freshly added. I get used to him,
    but I think I could live without him, but they have find a place for the Aristos. Kanui is already hard to fit in - normal Ninja is much better.

20. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

I use her alternative sculpt as one of my bounty hunters, pistol and hand.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation