N5 Speculation

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by Brokenwolf, Aug 3, 2024.

1. Robock

Robock Well-Known Member

that is how i internalized it as well. usually you roll a d20 with numbers that goes from 1 to 20. If your skill in 23, then instead you roll a d20+3 dice that has 20 values ranging from 4 to 23. The 7 face is a 7, but the 2 face represents a 22 crit. Just like an Ace in cards can be both a 1 or an 11. A 1 on d20 can be a 1 if you are normal skill, or a 21 if you are >20.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  2. StephanDahl

StephanDahl Well-Known Member

I rather like the new crit mechanic. It means that when I roll the die, the number showing is the one I got to think about - I don't have to do mental mathemathics to determine if my middling roll beats my opponents middling roll, I just compare them (after deciding if the rolls are crits or not)

3. Absolute_Maniac

I know the CC changes have been discussed to death; but how do people feel about the changes to Damage?
    Personally, I don't like the change. The math is basically identical but there's complexity added when the new damage stat is the only stat where lower numbers are better. It messes with my chi and falls out of sync with PH=DAM for CC. Also I think it will be harder to explain to new players where currently it's just big stat number=good.
    My thinking of an armor roll in the current system is "I'm rolling dice for my opponent and want them to fail, so high numbers are good".
    Happy to be proven wrong but it's just a "feels off" kind of thing.

Abrilete likes this.
  4. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

I'm currently introducing a friend into Infinity - a guy, who, unlike other newbies I've been showing the game to over the years, is not a transfer form another wargame, but someone totally fresh to wargames.
    And I can see he has a kind of a problem with grasping it - all other rolls, he needs to roll below a calculated value, then suddenly for ARM / BTS he needst to roll above a value.

Will changing DAM to PS mechanic help him? I don't know. But I can see the problem he has today with my own eyes.
    So I'm willing to give it a try.

5. iKon

iKon Not Very Well-Known Member

If for no other reason than no longer having to stop play to work out how to do a PH-6 save I am 100% in favor of the change

6. Errhile

Well, that's going to be a curios thing to see - how are they going to handle the "Para" ammunition under the new rules.

7. fari

fari CRISTASOL, EL LIQUIDO DE LOS DIOSES

yeah, plenty of pages were written about this

8. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

Simply the same as every other PS roll in the game target number or lower.

Instead of now that you need to make a PH-6 save that is actually a PH-6 normal roll and not a save.

9. QuantronicWombat

QuantronicWombat Well-Known Member

At least once per game, me and my regular opponents will think we've failed a save when we actually succeeded. Even when we say out loud that we need to roll X or higher to save before rolling, you spend so much time in Infinity rolling at or below Success Values that it becomes reflexive to look for rolls equal to or under.

It's a minor QoL change more than anything.

Brokenwolf likes this.
  10. Errhile

Keep in mind target's PH has a big role to play in a PH -6 roll, and contrary to ARM, it can't be simply added on top of a PS value.

Or maybe I really need that 2nd coffee today to understeand what you've meant here.
    Could be, the day as it is today is... well, not perfect.

All in all, I'm genuinely curious how they'll handle it - but I'm sure the guys at CB have ran into this question quite some time ago, and they have figured it out.
    They just haven't told us yet, given it applies to a rather niche class of ammo.
    And while I'm curious, I don't have to know just yet, I can just as well wait till the N5 rulebook drops. In my meta this type of ammo is so niche it is essentially an idle curiosity on my part :)

11. psychoticstorm

In general addition is easier and faster to reduction.

Errhile likes this.
  12. psychoticstorm

Most probably they will decouple it from been a save and make it a PH-6 check as it should be.

What I meant is that by invoking the term save the PH-6 is a problem in N4 as save constitutes a roll over when the PH-6 is a roll equal or under, but with the change to PS even if the target number reach is still odd, at least all rolls now are roll equal or under.

13. Errhile

In my opinion, that would be including an unnecessary complication for the single class of ammo.
    If the new edition is meant to simplify and streamline the ruleset, then this is not the way to go.

But that's just it - my opinion. With no influence on the reality itself :)

14. psychoticstorm

True, but I am not sure how glue guns and tazers could be otherwise represented in a unified survival roll.

15. Errhile

With a steaming cup of espresso agitating my nostrils (no, really, I got the ideas waiting for the cup to fill) I can suggest:
    • tasers can save on BTS. If it protects from gases, quantronic hacking attacks and viruses, it could just as well be able to stop a few hundred thousand volt zaps.
    • as for glue, it really depends on CB's intent. If glue is meant to be used primarily against TAGs and vehicles (I still have some N1 fluff on ADHL resonating in my head, sorry), why not give them a "resist adhl PS=X" and decide all nother tatgets are immune to it? Or have other targets save on the basic PS (after all, your average PH 10 Alguacile - the most vanilla LI in Infinity - is PH 10, so at PH-6 that equals to PS 4 anyways).
      Of course that means decoupling the two kinds of PARA ammo. So not optimal from the point of sreamlining either, but potentially acceptable IMO.
    • Or decide all that saves on BTS, because the "glue" it is not necessarily an epoxy glue, but some nanotech goo that can be neutralized by defensive nanohives in one's armor that are represented by BTS.
      Has the downside of elliminating an estabilished fluff of "glue guns" reaching into Infinity's origin as CB's in-house RPG.
    Please consider the above merely a list of proposals in a brainstorming session, so, like, we throw everything we can grasp at the wall, and see if anything sticks to it... before we give it any more serious consideration.

16. iKon

iKon Not Very Well-Known Member

PARA is gonna just be the same as PS saves?

It's just instead of PH -3 or PH -6 it will be printed as the PV value with a not to use PH instead of Armour?

17. Errhile

Honestly?
    I have no idea.

We are just theorizing here, looking at possible solutions to the problem the CB may have taken for N5. Because they had to take some solution (keeping things as they are is one of the possibilities, too).

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation