N5 Speculation

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by Brokenwolf, Aug 3, 2024.

1. fari

fari CRISTASOL, EL LIQUIDO DE LOS DIOSES

in theory are the same odds. but yes, shit happens. But remember that now, if you rolls low, your result magically increase and maybe enough to win that meh fusileer. In the future, that roll wont be modified. With all of that, still prefer the actual system

#321 fari, Sep 5, 2024
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2024
  2. Tristan228

Tristan228 Bakunin's best Morlock trainer
    Warcor

@psychoticstorm and others were previously able to show that it's the same likelyhood in both cases.
    And I vividly recall the unfun atmosphere whenever Sheeskin was in play and her player had to repeatedly explain that the 1s he rolled were actually better rolls than the 2+s his opponents rolled.

Also I'm on the same page with @fari, 96% of the non-beginner players I met had no difficulties remembering to add x to their CC rolls if applicable. The remaining 4% were the ones who weren't really invested in the game in the first place, playing the game maybe any second month (and one can imagine how well they remembered all the other rules).

emperorsaistone and LaughinGod like this.
  3. nintendofilo

nintendofilo Active Member

It's a bit funny how everyone is defending the current system and to me it just looks like fear of change, yes before you added to the dice roll and to me that wasn't hard, the new system is also smooth and sort of makes sense. I don't favor either one too much but I appreciate what the new system is trying to do.
    The main issue seems to be that low rolls become crits you can also imagine you are actually rolling above 20 with those numbers as before, it's just impossible for a low roll to occur when you have martial arts or a cc above 20, so it modified low numbers to instead represent 21,22,23 and onwards.

Space Ranger likes this.
  4. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

Nah, it is talking of feelings.
    So, things that aren't exactly rational. Not cold hard facts.

Cold hard fact is - as it has been already demonstrated - the mathematically the new system gives exactly the same spread of chances as the old one.

But feelings, ah, the feelings. Emotions. Difficult to handle with cold hard facts. Maybe a psychologist could deal with it, but this is totally not my profession and not my skillset.

Therefore, I accept some folks feel bad about the new system, and I can't do anything to change that feeling.
    And, sorry, but I am not going to worry over a thing I can't help - exactly because I can't help that.

5. Jim the third

Jim the third Well-Known Member

It's still the same odds for crits and loss/draws too. Old system if the Fusilier crits, 1-13 were losses, 14-20 were draws. New system 1-6+20 draws, and the old crit numbers 7-19 are losses.

(On reflection I've probably missed your point - you do say the probabilities are unchanged, but you also said the new system's better for CC experts)

6. fari

Ok, facts. If the new system has the same chance spread than the actual one, and is not gonna improve it... why change it?

7. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

Do I look like a game developer of this particular game to you?
    • If not, why are you addressing this question to me?
    • If yes, I can point you towards my occulist, she has a way better chance of helping your eyesight problem than I. Occulistics is another thing that isn't my profession nor my skillset.

I can only repeat what we've been told above: somebody at CB decided it will be easier for the newbies than the old, "creep-back-crits" system. Whether it really is - I don't know.
    May be, may be not.

But hey, if you are adamant about dying on this particular hill, that's not my concern. You're a grownup, you can die on whichever hill you wish to do so.
    Any specific request regarding flowers? Should they be folded out of pages torn from a N1 rulebook? If so, tell that in advance, I no longer have that book and locating it on an used market might take a moment.

Because you can throw yourself like Reytan (the guy in the bottom right corner here) all the way from here to N6, and it is not going to change a thing. If CB have made their mind about N5 crit mechanic, your protests on the forum aren't going to make them reconsider.
    You can accept the change - or try playing it the N4 way and hope your opponents agree to that.

...but I doubt it.​

Brokenwolf, Sungwon, saint and 2 others like this.
  8. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

More intuitive, easier to explain, easier to remember, avoids adding mathematics to a dice roll, stops results that are over 20 in a D20, a more elegant system overall.

It is a quality of life update.

9. fari

Easier to explain? I dont think so. Is different, but not easier.

i dont see the elegance in stoping and 20 and starting from the bottom again. And you think your players cant do 2nd grade maths from time to time in a match? Why not simply eliminate all stats above 20 and adding "CC Crit: 1-3"? That way we'll have to remember even less things.

But what if you get 20+ in a BS attack? Oh sorry, anything above 20 is treated like a 20 unless you have the Crit skill, like in N4 having token state doesnt grant you anymore surprise attack if you dont have the surprise skill

10. Child9

Child9 Well-Known Member

Why all the fuss about the change for crits? It's irrelevant to be strongly for or strongly against.
    It doesn't change anything regarding the numbers, it's purely arbitrary (as someone else said, 1, 2, 3 can also be seen as 21, 22, 23 just as before) and we will all forget how it was before and be fine with the new version.

11. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

This skill has a value over 20 what does this mean?
    Well you roll the dice and then add the number over 20 to the dice and that is the final number you rolled when you compare the dice roll with your opponent, for example for a CC24 you add 4 to the dice, so if you rolled a 9 it becomes a 13, now if the final number is 20 or bigger you score a critical hit.

Vs
    Well you roll the dice like normal 20 and the numbers over 20, for example for a CC 24 20 and 1-4, score a critical hit.

12. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

Because CB likes the way this works better. They like the way the numbers shake out with this approach more than the current way. Simple as.

13. fari

Use the over 20 excess to add that value to your roll, and that will be your final result. If you reach 20, is a crit. So if you have CC 24 and you roll a 16, is 16+4=20, Crit

Vs

Well you roll the dice like normal 20 and the numbers over 20, for example for a CC 24 20 and 1-4, score a critical hit.

Dont use creative bullshit writing to make it look more difficult, "friend"

And we know that even we can describe the rule in a single line, CB writing will make it a full page

Tristan228 likes this.
  14. fari

Im sure that many players (veterans and newbies) will forget that now low rolls are critical, yeah, much improvment

15. Papa Bey

Papa Bey Clueless Wonder. Still.

Not one person in my local group correctly calculates the save value according to N4 wording. They just add everything on top of the die roll.

Abrilete, A Mão Esquerda and Errhile like this.
  16. Gwynbleidd

Gwynbleidd Non asto coram malo

Wow… a lot to digest from a year away. There’s quite a few interesting things that appear to be happening for N5 but the one that least concerns me is the new crit system. It’s been shown to be the same. I’m not sure why it’s such a hot topic but if it makes things easier for newer entrants to the game then I don’t see an issue.

17. fari

yeah, same here. And it keeps working

18. LaughinGod

LaughinGod Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I mean USA is the biggest market and a large portion of their population is functionality illiterate and can't do even basic math, so I guess if you take that into account, this change makes sense
    Maybe slightly off topic, but can someone tell me which marketing genius from CB decided to make a large sponsorship push in the last month or so, 2 months before new edition and started packs launch? Do you really want for people to now buy the game and learn the rules that might change or be obsolete in 2 months ? Do you want them to buy current minis, for sectorials that might not exist in 2 months or minis which will not have profiles in N5 ? Do you really think it is smart to screw people that just started playing, because Ninjon or any other sponsored influencer sold them on your product ? Does it not have more sense to have this marketing push CLOSE TO OR AFTER N5 launch, where you will have new rules, new 2 player set, new STARTER SET ? I really don't understand marketing logic here.

Gwynbleidd and Tool81 like this.
  19. fari

1/ I refuse to believe that a proclaimed 1st world nation have such an important problem

2/ So they also cant read the rules, or the names of the troops, so cant make a list because of the lack of the previous. Then how they play the game? Even if you change the crit to not add values to the dice, you still have to do math calculating range bonuses, cover, mimetism...

emperorsaistone likes this.
  20. Gwynbleidd

Gwynbleidd Non asto coram malo

It… is an oddity to be sure. I can only posit that there’s a desire to sell as much if the old stock as possible before it gets recalled and there’s an influx of stuff that needs to be reboxed. Other than that it’s quite confusing indeed.

And yet… it is a known issue. Google American education and a large number of newsfeeds will report that there is such a major issue in the American education system.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation