September>December 2024: Nuclear winter has struck, leaving room for the N5

Discussion in 'News' started by Wizzy, Aug 12, 2024.

1. fari

fari CRISTASOL, EL LIQUIDO DE LOS DIOSES

No, he is what he said. 43 armies are too mucho, we need to cut, and NA2 will probably dissapear

ChrisCenobite likes this.
  2. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

He's speaking pretty chaotically. And, as far as I can see, giving very little specifics on what exactly will happen to which army.

Although I agree, 43 armies is hell of a lot. And difficult to keep up, even less if you want to have some more, new, flashy armies.
    Can you show me a way to release new armeis without swelling the count, one, that does not include removing some of the old ones?

IMO it is mostly a matter of making it in a way that keeps the old players still interested. Their old model collections remaining relevant.

3. fari

Maybe if they retire almost all NA2, but remain as CBL in the home faction... IDK, we'll see

4. Brokenwolf

Brokenwolf Well-Known Member

Thank you! This what I pulled from the wonderful expansive interview on CB's mindset:
    • There is a dedicated push on the Infinity IP and getting it more well known. This is important as more profitability will keep the company going.
    • Better planning of releases. They want to make sure prior to a release, there is a build up of information releases. Videos with unit fluff and more gradual releases. They like the focus on completing forces (Bakukin release was an example). While the surprise release of Druze Bayram Security was fun, because it was not promoted well it was not profitable. They need to release with better intention.
    • Not all Factions will be available at launch. They do plan for all the Vanilla to be available. OOP and NA-2 will probably take some time. Some of the Sectorials will be merged or integrated (example was of Star Co becoming a Nomad Sectorial).
    • Vanillas will be treated more like sectorials. Some might get Haris, but the main goal is to prune them down significantly. No longer will get access to everything. They also want the sectorials to get more Sectional-only units.
    • Steel Phalanx will probably get a nerf as it was extremely dominant. There will be tweaking.
    • Tohaa is still mechanically very powerful. Pheroware is powerful, but the only reason it is not complained about at the level of GML is that Tohaa is not very popular.
    • They strongly realize the meta. They believe that players value camouflage + Infilitration much more than Combat Jump. They notice that competitive players like to minimize risk, but they would like these Combat Jump profiles to be more utilized.

5. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

This makes me wonder if Ikari will be one of the sectorals for JSA.

6. fari

putting NA2 sectorials as other factions sectorials wont fix anything

7. Child9

Child9 Well-Known Member

Removing Mim-6 should be enough.

ChrisCenobite likes this.
  8. QuantronicWombat

QuantronicWombat Well-Known Member

I hope this means that Combat Jump will no longer be an all or nothing skill.

Abrilete and burlesford like this.
  9. Brokenwolf

Easy solution would be that if you fail the roll, you come on like a Parachutist. I think people would start using it as you will always get some benefit.

10. Stiopa

Stiopa Trust The Fuckhead

I'd like it to be more similar to its older iterations - missed jumps scattering instead of automatically deploying from DZ edge, or what Brokenwolf just suggested, failed jump becoming Parachutist. But I'm one of those players who actually enjoy high risk - high reward options, instead of eliminating every possible risk.

Very happy to hear about pruning of army count and vanilla options. I'd like some units to disappear/merge as well, so that we have lower number of more distinct choices.

11. Benkei

Benkei Well-Known Member

Yep, then remove it from Bakunin while we are at it

Time Bandit likes this.
  12. UpirLihi

UpirLihi Well-Known Member

"If it was up for the developers, N5 would have been released much later" - Bostria

Did someone notice that?! This is something that I kind of thought of, when they announced N5 so close before release and while it is making sense that they want a new edition now with the biggest visibility of the IP, I'm starting to get concerned about what we'll get and how quick we'll be bumping into issues with the nitty-gritty of the more difficult rules. Or the new stuff about vehicles and reinforcement integration.

Tristan228 likes this.
  13. QuantronicWombat

QuantronicWombat Well-Known Member

I like it, too, so I wouldn't want it to have zero penalties. Following the parachutist rules, but being limited to your half of the table would be a decent penalty. Scatter could be fun, though, and the current smoke template is still numbered for it. Or you could center the circular template over the intended drop location and the opponent gets to deploy your combat jumper touching or within the template. I think there's lots of ways it (and, arguably, Infiltration) could be written that make failure still fun, which might encourage people to make the gamble more often.

Brokenwolf likes this.
  14. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

The last three times I did combat jump I flubbed the rolls. One of them was a blessing in disguise but the rest of them ended up doing nothing the rest of the game.

QuantronicWombat likes this.
  15. Brokenwolf

I heard that as well, but they also mentioned that they were talking about Possibility of Survival back when N4 occurred, but did not want to be too radical. They seem to want N5 to be just a better polished version of N4. The changes he mentioned seem to be in line with that. I think it is good that they are pushing to iterate, as to me, each edition change has made the game better.

burlesford likes this.
  16. archon

archon Well-Known Member

I like combat jump very much and I try to buff it up with EVO. The exclusion zone landing in the current ITS is also a nice idea. My last three attempts were all successfull :-D but in my last game I failed approx 8 or more times a WIP -3 roll with WIP 13 until I finaly crit it.

So yeah a faild CJ resulting in parachuting would be an intresting approach. But camo is always good - undeniable.

#96 archon, Aug 27, 2024
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2024
    Abrilete likes this.
  17. infyrana

infyrana Well-Known Member

For the video, interesting stuff. For sure, 43 armies is a lot, of course it will be interesting to see what ones vanish with N5 and how many they feel need to be purged. For the NA2 stuff, I am happy they are investing in JSA as it's own faction and therefore won't be on the chopping block anytime soon. I would like to see Druze stay around (I'm no Druze fluff-bunny, but I consider it more of a military merc sectorial, with the rest of the NA2 stuff feeling more like merged faction models except spirral) and happy if Spiral get merged with Tohaa.

Cadwallon and burlesford like this.
  18. Child9

Child9 Well-Known Member

It may be too reliable like this... It would be win-win, as there is almost always a useful and safe Parachutist spot somewhere. And it would basically remove the use for EVO boost.

UpirLihi likes this.
  19. Keith

Keith The Raven Lord

I could see a happy medium here too. Like only up to half the board or something, then you’re still getting something but there’s also a slight penalty for your failure. It would be a partial benefit but not the whole edge up to enemy DZ.

Child9 likes this.
  20. Child9

Child9 Well-Known Member

Sounds about right!

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation