September>December 2024: Nuclear winter has struck, leaving room for the N5

Discussion in 'News' started by Wizzy, Aug 12, 2024.

1. Wizzy

Wizzy Well-Known Member

Preview N5 from german networks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#41 Wizzy, Aug 24, 2024
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2024
  2. Daireann

Daireann Well-Known Member

I see good old fusiliers there. I am happy.

3. TenNoBushi

TenNoBushi Well-Known Member

4. Modock

Modock Well-Known Member

This is a quick summary not by me but taken from FB Infinity global community written by Robert C.

The N5 release date might be a bit further back than October.
    Mostly a 'manage your expectations' message.

'Vitality' is the new 'wounds'. Mechanical models will still have 'structure'. This is to avoid confusion around placing 'wound' markers.

Guided missile nerf will be present but small; maybe going from +6 to +3, maybe consuming the targeted effect. Explicitly a 'signalling nerf' for the psychological effect as much as anything. CB's opinion is that guided missiles take a degree of skill and list investment to be viable, and the strategy is not necessarily overpowered, but it is non-interactive - and they don't want non-interactive tactics to be too common.

Natural born warrior is moving to counter negative mods to CC rather than countering martial arts.

Martial arts is staying but changing to be less about sheer numeric mods and more about abilities that can't be reflected in the base stat line, e.g. there's a level that lets you roll 2 dice and pick one for CC attacks.

Vehicles won't be big tanks. Small, sexy, fast, sleek, manga-inspired. Will also include autonomous and piloted flying drones.
    Flying units won't be as susceptible to close combat or will be good at a avoiding CC
    drones will have a high silhouette value despite being physically small as they're flying, but apparently are quite fast, efficient, manoeuvrable, and good vertical movement.

'speedball' mechanic - Helldivers inspired - spend a command token to request equipment to upgrade a unit. Break firepower deadlocks. May be a degree of randomness.

Infinity Essentials is the new Code One. Built for introductions ('start here') but stepping off into N5, not a separate game. Product range - three minis a side, terrain, paper battle mat, very affordable price - they're releasing these with basically no profit margin.
    Making lots of tutorial videos to accompany Infinity Essentials.

Generic (vanilla) factions will be designed more like a sectorial. No more unlimited AVA of everything from all sectorials, more curated. But also fireteams, albeit small.

Not every army will be updated on release.

kesharq, Time Bandit, saint and 3 others like this.
  5. superfurrymaniac

I'm not a big fan of a separate "starter". Always feels like it just adds some confusion to me. But equally it's not for me anyway, so largely irrelevant. Everything else seems good, and especially interested in the details of the speedball mechanic

6. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

I like the 3rd generation cardboard terrain.
    Seems like they possibly took my remarks about nesting for storeability and need for linear LOS blockers into mind :)

7. UpirLihi

UpirLihi Well-Known Member

So, my two cents:

+The essentials allowing for a small, easy, learning tool. This was something that kind of existed at one point with the 3 fusiliers vs 3 alguaciles. Glad it is becoming its own intro box.
    +Vehicles finally being supported. Vehicles were in the game since N1, with not a single vehicle being produced. Fast, sleek vehicles will fit Infinity and can help with the identity of some armies. More drones on the battlefield definitely feels like a nice flavour.
    +Tutorial videos. My only hope is that they will explain difficult interactions too, not just how to check F2F rolls. There are plenty of complex cases that need a visual explanation for new players, because some armies rely a lot on them (i.e. placement and interactions with impersonators, transmutation, peripherals...)

-"Enjoy the new stuff, until the old stuff comes back" (no timeline given). CB can definitely do a better job at supporting its older factions. Especially since not all of them will be updated day 1 for N5. People are reasonably impatient.
    - Yet another PanO sectorial. JSA getting a second sectorial and main faction status was good. O-12 getting a second sectorial was good, despite the lukewarm welcome of the Torchlight brigade, whose aesthetics are divisive at best. PanO did not need another sectorial, not at all. Especially, when we have the Tohaa situation with nothing in production (the made-to-order boxes were a very good move, while they lasted) and Aleph with only two sectorials. And on top of that - PanO already has two OOP sectorials, who could have used the return in the spotlight.

=Melee getting buffs. Melee units need better tools to go into close combat, not to be deadly in close combat. They are increasing the reward, but not decreasing the risk, it seems.
    = Speedball, allowing to spend command token to get extra equipment. It is interesting, but I would really not fancy Jaan Staar, Carlotta or al-Djabel running around in the DZ with an swc weapon. CB imagines it will be used to break a gridlock, but will something prevent its usage to press an advantage?
    = Guided nerfs. I'm not sure you need elaborate nerfs to that. Just bring back U-turn and give it to more hackers. It's good that CB is combatting non-interactive strategies, but the most reasonable approach would be to just make them interactive.

Modock likes this.
  8. fari

fari CRISTASOL, EL LIQUIDO DE LOS DIOSES

Super jump bugged the game and we had to FAQ it. Lets add even more vertical gameplay!!!!

9. redeemer

redeemer Well-Known Member

hold on we are getting vehicles now ?! i told CB was against those for year (other than akira bikes)

10. Lucian

Lucian Catgirl Nation

Sweet :D
    Just need to find out what bases they'll use
    [​IMG]

Quiet Professional, Modock and Wizzy like this.
  11. Errhile

And yet they had provisions for vehicles in the rules since N1.

Well, these are supposed to be light, fast and sexy, piloted or Remote Presence. We'll see what that light and sexy means. Whatever they'll be, they can't be very big, because even an S8 TAG can have quite some problems moving around on a typical Infinity battlefield.

So I take it easy :)

12. redeemer

redeemer Well-Known Member

that is not a real problem have you played the gundam game even mobile armors can move without problem even in denser terrain than what we use in infinity and they are like 4 times bigger than the biggest infinity profiles it would take the right rules and lets be honest infinity does not have good rules when it comes to verticality for now the vehicles i expect are fast armor cars or some other urban combat vehicles maybe a gunship after all this is not 40k so no ultra tough armor or planes

13. archon

archon Well-Known Member

PS (Possibility of Survival) how akward sounds that? I got emotional possibility of survival here... what about ... lethality?

It will not be easy to teach my dices that they have to roll low numbers when saving - poor Jotum.

The Essential box looks a bit meager. The have to very new to the hobby to make more than 10 games with that box. But anyway if it helps to generate new players - do it so.

The C1 boxes had a double purpose, they were usable for both: C1 and N4.

The new terrain looks nice it will be a good addition to the older ones. To promote JSA was a nice idea too. If it has to be a new Pan O sectorial? I don´t think so, but I guess CB wants to support the new timeline and it will be also some sort of expeditionary corps. TB is fluffwise suited for battles in unknow enviroment, thats why they were very generous with maxed out BTS states.

I only hope they will get the point formular of the overstar primeon to be used with all older S5 HIs. So we can see 35 pts Mowang, 25 for Boyg and Kriza for 36 maybe :sweat_smile:

But honestly when putting out new sectorials that are suited for battles of unknown worls CB can produce a lot of new and fresh miniatures. But then old ones will put to sleep again or some will leave the game.

The hints vor vehicels could be REMs and Bikes or new variants of them. If you like to see it so, the motorcycle is already a vehicle - you can go fast (and a little bit protected) so your destination and hop off.

I like the change of NBW while I also think thats it will make ikohl (-3 to -9 flat) and para-weapons a little bit obsolet. But this is the smaller pill to swallow. I think if they not give the this skill away like candy on halloween, they don´t have to fix it now at all.

Cadwallon likes this.
  14. Errhile

No, I haven't played the gundam game. I do however know I have problems with my Maghariba on my local tables.
    Not that it cannot move, but that terrain is a serious limiting factor for a model of that size. YMMV.

As to what N5 vehicles are going to be - we are yet to see that, so you might like to cool your jets a bit, hmmm?

Cadwallon likes this.
  15. Sungwon

Sungwon Well-Known Member

I like the change in rule but not the name "PS". However, lethality feels just the opposite from what it does. High PS means less damage and less lethal. So, Unlethality?

16. Keith

Keith The Raven Lord

I had similar feelings. At least for English, (not sure how it sounds in Spanish) I was thinking CS might be good too. Chance of Survival. Chance and possibility are synonymous but chance sounds better to me in a dice game. Maybe just splitting hairs.
    I’m also concerned that PS or CS for that matter will be confused with BS when you’re shouting across the table at a packed event. So maybe lethality or something like that would be better.

17. Errhile

Since we're definitely splitting hairs in four here:
    Lethality would be "the higher it is, the better for the attacker". Possibility of Survival is "the higher, the better for the defender".

As for shouting over the table - I don't think it will matter. Going to be obvious from the context.
    First you are interested in BS (which is almost always in double digits). Then the dice are rolled to determine the hits.
    After that, if there were any hits, you are interested in PS, because there are saves to be rolled.

18. Keith

Keith The Raven Lord

For sure. That makes sense.

burlesford likes this.
  19. archon

archon Well-Known Member

Not so much. PS 7 (including its mods) is the value you have to roll under so in terms of Infinity 7 is not very lethal, but 2 will be (which also looks odd when you used to say "whoa your damage is 18!"). I admit I also use ODD a lot to say: mimetism -6 ;-)

Quiet Professional and Errhile like this.
  20. UpirLihi

UpirLihi Well-Known Member

Survivability.

Henshini likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation