N5 Speculation

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by Brokenwolf, Aug 3, 2024.

1. Weathercock

Weathercock Well-Known Member

The contender fulfills it's role just fine. It's a cheap weapon that provides a non-negligible ARO beyond 8" and has limited active turn capabilities. It was never meant to be a strong main gun.

It's a discounted weapon for your link filler that does everything those troopers want it to do.

burlesford, Brokenwolf and Abrilete like this.
  2. Gunmage

Gunmage General Contact Unit

Is there any chance to remove the "In the Initiative Roll, the WIP Attribute of the Lieutenant is Open Information" line? It sort of discourages taking Lts with distinct WIP, and I don't think that's the intended effect of that rule...

I would also appreciate an explanation why that rule was added in the first place, I thought N3 Initiative roll was fine as-is.

P.S.
    ...that Gecko clearly has two rifles on the model. Also, Marksman Rifle has a different range band than the Spitfire.

But I agree that MULTI should be a type of ammo, it's not like any currently existing MULTI subtypes have a range band differing from the template weapon.

Time Bandit and Savnock like this.
  3. darthchapswag

darthchapswag Shandian Strike Team

I would like SMGs to lose AP/Shock. It never made sense that they've got better ammo types than proper assault rifles at the same damage. Compounded by the fact they're often given to units as a points discount when they're arguably better in most circumstances than a (combi) rifle.

I'd agree with the earlier post that Assault Pistols should be damage 12; to maintain consistency with normal pistols, and so a nerfed SMG is distinct.

4. Child9

Child9 Well-Known Member

Well, you keep whining that N4 is crap and at the same time, you admit this is the only game you are playing and you can't find a better one. I'm not the one with logical issues here buddy...

5. saint

saint Charming, but irrational

Plus this way we can get all types of SMGs, AP, Shock, Multi, and Carlos preserve us, Viral and T2.

burlesford, darthchapswag and Child9 like this.
  6. fari

fari CRISTASOL, EL LIQUIDO DE LOS DIOSES

I'm not finding a new one because i'm not searching

1/ Here in Spain, you play GW or magic, or probably you play nothing. I got recently some Shatterpoint figures and is not getting enough traction to form stable communities. Infinity is now in the middle, and losing terrain.
    2/ I keep playing because is what people organise. I have hundreds or thousands of €€ invested and i dont want to sell them at 30% the market value (and most of them are N2 sculpts, so nobody wants them)
    and 3/ Is not about infinity anymore when i go to play a tournament: we reunite, have a nice chat, play some games, roll some dices,
    we raffle the prizes ignoring the ranking and we left to our houses. I never was a competitive tryhard player, but now we dont care about tournament because balance in this edition jumped off a window at CB place

Abrilete likes this.
  7. Child9

Child9 Well-Known Member

Maybe we just found your issue. Hope it helped.

Inaccurate and highly exaggerated

I don't keep playing something I find crap even if I invested money in it. I prefer to do something I like instead.

If "it's not about Infinity anymore", why don't you try to do the exact same thing with a game/activity you don't find crap?

Anyway, let's not extend this exchange forever, it doesn't interest anyone, least of all me, and has little to do with N5 speculations.
    Cheers.

Savnock, bladerunner_35 and chromedog like this.
  8. fari

9. Delta57Dash

Delta57Dash Well-Known Member

Alright you two, this is the N5 speculation thread not the "Discuss why our local groups may or may not have liked N4" thread.

Personally I'm hoping Combi rifles get that cost reduction they've been needing ever since Shotguns got a Direct Template mode. SMGs losing their default ammo types would also be a step forward.

I'd also, personally like to see NWI get completely removed and rebalanced either into a proper wound or more Battle-Ravaged/Transmutation profiles. It's been a way for models to cheat point costs for too long and all too often the "downside" is that it denies opponents an unconscious body to grab Classifieds/Protheion off of.

10. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

Something to remember is that since this is coming out in October, the rule book is probably already being printed right now and there's no going back except months from now with a FAQ.

11. fari

that's one thing it bugs me. We are less than 2 months and they said nothing about a physical book. October will be the launch date only for rules and the book with the lore comes later?

12. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

Question being - will there be a physical book?
    Is that profitable enough for CB to bother, or maybe it is time to go fully digital?

Personally, I wouldn't be opposed to that. I was buying the books in N2 and N3, and found it to be of little practical value.
    The rules changed after a time. The fluff moved on / got slightly altered in new edition. Books - which weren't cheap - were going morally obsolete.
    I can still use - and get fair value - out of my N1-era (and N2, and N3) models, in general. The old books were useless in new edition.
    As for the fluff - all fine and dandy, but it was generally "read the fluff once, then maybe - maybe! - return to check one or another obscure detail when it came up in a discussion". 99,9% time, the books were collecting dust and occupying shelf space for me.

So yeah, with N4 I made a conscious decision to not buy the books. Yes, I missed a lot of fluff and story development, but I also avoided spending money on dead tree version I wouldn't really use. Bah, while I have downloaded and printed the rulebook, I made only one printed copy my group keeps at the store, for quick reference purposes.

So, should CB decide N5 is not going to have a physical book, I could only applaud.

13. Brokenwolf

Brokenwolf Well-Known Member

I also skipped the N4 Main Book after getting all from N3 (due to some concerns). I love reading the lore and have been buying all the other N4 books. I go back and read they occasionally and I look forward to an N5 book that hopefully will be available with a nice Pre-order miniature.

14. saint

saint Charming, but irrational

No physical book wouldn't be a deal breaker for me but I would be sad. I like buying the physical book, I find them easier to concentrate on than digital PDFs, no matter how nicely they're laid out. I know sooner or later and FAQ or errata will come along and change some wording or interaction. But that will still leave like 97% of the book as useful as the day I bought it. Plus there's just something nice about having a rules question and flipping open a book to resolve the issue.

15. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

Agreed. Especially given their points cost.

Space Ranger likes this.
  16. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

I had a lot less incentive to play in events in N4, I can say that for certain. N3 had better rules than N4, at least until Dashat came out.

fari likes this.
  17. fari

I was refering to a lore only book, rules digital only, like the two last N4 books, Raveneye and Endsong

Regarding Assault pistol, yes, DAM 13 is maybe too much, so DAM 11 but still B4 will be ok, but SMG should lost special ammos and go down to DAM 12

Abrilete likes this.
  18. redeemer

redeemer Well-Known Member

I might be an old school table top gamer so not having the books is a dealbreaker for me, in fact i wish we even had mini book beside the normal size ones, which we can carry around like with warhammer and warmachine. yes all of the rules are online but it is not the same.

Quiet Professional likes this.
  19. LaughinGod

LaughinGod Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I expect a lore book in October and rules going pdf only. No point in physical rulebook ( even though CB rarely bothers to change things unless ultra mega broken )

20. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

It's a possibility there's not going to be a book. But it would be harder getting background to new players. Everyone has something they like about the game and background can be one of them. I know I like the background a lot.

saint likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation