1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making Suryats work (Onyx)

Discussion in 'Combined Army' started by BlackCadian, Mar 17, 2018.

1. BlackCadian

BlackCadian Well-Known Member

Suryats are overcosted. There are better options in Onyx.You know the issues, so do I.

Problem is, I love sculpts. And the idea of a Morat heavy assault unit kicking doors in and brute-forcing their way through narrow streets, bullets pinging off their thick armored forms.

I’ll be taking them to a tourney which includes Rescue. And yes I should be taking the Sphinx for that. And if you’re sure I can’t make those guys work I’ll consider it but it’d sure be a damned shame :/

So I’m looking for advice on fielding them - loadout, supporting units, anything.

Many thanks!

2. RobertShepherd

RobertShepherd Antipodean midwit

Hrmm.

I suppose you can mount the argument that in Rescue, a duo of them can advance efficiently through the difficult terrain zone to capture civilians.

If that's their role, try taking a duo with medium range weapons that can sieze the midfield and enter suppressive fire. HMG and a rifle, or two rifles.

So your general plan is to advance efficiently then break the link as part of a coordinated suppressive fire order (to this end, make sure the rest of the combat group has models that may also want to participate). The Morat skill will keep them holding that ground.

In late game, the rifle profiles transition to close assault options, looking to turn corners with rifle+flamethrower threats.

So yeah. Combination of HMG+Rifle, or Rifle+Rifle duo.

...now I'm thinking of trying it myself.

unclesrouce likes this.
  3. DaRedOne

DaRedOne Morat Warrior Philosopher
    Warcor

I actually think in Onyx you might be better served by not putting any big guns on suryats. The MULTI-Rifle, Combi-Rifle and shotgun profiles seem like a better idea as they add something extra to the list. Perhaps something like this would be cool:

[​IMG] Onyx Contact Force
    ──────────────────────────────────────────────────

GROUP 1[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]10
    [​IMG] MED-TECH OBSIDON MEDCHANOID Combi Rifle, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 23)
    [​IMG] SLAVE DRONE Electric Pulse. (0 | 3)
    [​IMG] SLAVE DRONE Electric Pulse. (0 | 3)
    [​IMG] UNIDRON (Forward Observer) Plasma Carbine / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (0 | 15)
    [​IMG] UNIDRON (Forward Observer) Plasma Carbine / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (0 | 15)
    [​IMG] UNIDRON K1 Combi Rifle + 1 TinBot A (Deflector L1) / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (0.5 | 17)
    [​IMG] UNIDRON Plasma Sniper Rifle / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (1.5 | 24)
    [​IMG] UNIDRON Spitfire / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (1 | 18)
    [​IMG] SURYAT Combi Rifle + Light Flamethrower + TinBot A (Deflector L1) / Pistol, CCW. (0 | 38)
    [​IMG] SURYAT MULTI Rifle + Light Flamethrower / Pistol, CCW. (0 | 41)
    [​IMG] OVERDRON 2 Heavy Rocket Launchers / . (2 | 57)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] STALDRON Flash Pulse / Knife. (0 | 0)
    [​IMG] ÍMETRON . (0 | 4)

GROUP 2[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]3
    [​IMG] NEXUS Lieutenant Hacker (EI Hacking Device) Combi Rifle, Nullifier / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 24)
    [​IMG] IKADRON (Baggage, Repeater) 2 Light Flamethrowers, Flash Pulse / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (0 | 9)
    [​IMG] IKADRON (Baggage, Repeater) 2 Light Flamethrowers, Flash Pulse / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (0 | 9)

5.5 SWC | 300 Points

Open in Infinity Army

Use the Suryat and Overdron as first turn advance, then later on advance with the Unidron link too. Idk, seems like it could work

Golem2God and Ginrei like this.
  4. BlackCadian

Thank you for your suggestions!

A Suryat Duo AND a Uni Core AND an Overdron sounds pretty mean indeed

I was hoping to bring an AHD though to stop opposing rescuers in their tracks. Will have to have a think about it.

5. DaRedOne

Warcor

Tinbot+Fairy dust will protect you better than an AHD. A KHD would be a good way to protect them too, but I don't know how to add one to the list without taking out some other useful thing.

Golem2God likes this.
  6. BlackCadian

No I meant to take an AHD for isolating things like Su Jians/Sphinx/Achilles and so on when they attempt to sync up with their civvies. But you’re right, it’s not possible to squeeze one in really.

7. Ginrei

Ginrei Well-Known Member

I agree with this^.

Suryat's may seem unimpressive when compared 1v1 but that's doing them a disservice. I like to look at their strengths and consider how to leverage them. Jungle terrain is pretty obvious when applicable. Heavy weapons are nice but there are no modifiers and only light defense to back them up. A single Suryat isn't strong enough so I'd rather invest my orders into something else.

Their DUO option is what interests me. I'd stick with the multi, combi, or vulkan profiles. For 75 points you get two 2W models and all the advantages that come with that. Two AROs, moved for one order, multiple vectors, etc. They are not long range nor are they order monkeys. They will need to advance and either provide ARO coverage or attack with their templates. Once you find a good position for one, the other can move away freely.

I think the above is a good and very valid option for Onyx. Outside of that, I wouldn't waste my time with Suryat's.

Golem2God and DaRedOne like this.
  8. DaRedOne

Warcor

I use the Suryat haris in MAF a lot, and also use a lone suryat LT in MAF too. In Vanilla they have little room, but on both sectorials that have access to them they can have some use.

9. Death

Death Well-Known Member

Suryats are hardly overcosted. They use to be but not anymore in N3. Compared to other factions basic HI, they are competitively cost. Its more an issue that Onyx has a lot of great options to can overshadow the Suryat. Duo Suryats can work though especially for combat intensive missions.

Golem2God, Hecaton and Sabin76 like this.
  10. BlackCadian

Thanks guys, some great info here!

I’m still contemplating the load-out, interesting that quite a few of you would take the smaller guns over the HRL/HMG. That would open up a ML for my Unidron link along with the sniper so, yeah, definitely worth considering.

11. Aspect Graviton

Aspect Graviton Friendly Alien Overlord
    Warcor

I've had a lot of success with suryat duos in Onyx, I'd generally tend to look to the combi and multi profiles but I've also used HMG & HRL as a duo, it takes up most of your SWC but offers its own like the ability to dodge, go prone and be a morat. The combi/shotgun and multi option obviously come into their own as a survivable "go and take this" unit.

IMO The key role of Suryats in Onyx however is clearly to be a Arm 4 BTS 6 2W Lt which doesn't instantaneously explode when introduced to shock or viral and one of those can be in the duo.

Golem2God and Hecaton like this.
  12. Leviathan

Leviathan Hungry Caliban

I'd actually love to run a Suryat duo in onyx but i hate the models.

BlackCadian likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation