January>Avril 2024: A new Infinity year full of "magic"

Discussion in 'News' started by Wizzy, Dec 5, 2023.

1. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

Ok yes sorry 16pts is cheap. In TB there's not many Lt. and that is the cheapest. Thankfully there is one cheap CoC.

2. Brokenwolf

Brokenwolf Well-Known Member

Cross Faction comparison leads to madness. If you look who gets zero SWC camouflaged Lts, you will pull your hair out. At least, more Holomask units are available. Note I am still waiting for my Hafza to gain leadership skills as per the fluff.

At least TB will have difficulty against Ariadna (Dog Warriors and Bearpodes) and strong hacking forces.

Daniel Darko and Cadwallon like this.
  3. Sungwon

Sungwon Well-Known Member

Two, actually. Ment is 15 pt CoC with max 20pt hacker and 19 pt Raveneye.

I'm a bit disappointed by no updates to other existing factions.

4. Iro

Iro Unidron, Dron, Dron, saca los cuernos al Sol~~

Hardly this

csjarrat likes this.
  5. Space Ranger

But Ment is AVA1 in TB but you do have some choice, yes.

I actually think Vanilla made out well. They get AVA2 Moonrakers, 2 Stormbots, 2 Wreakers. They get Rovers and Hellblazers but I can't see using them in vanilla. Did Nightshades have minelayer before? Nimrod is meh to me (too bad because he looks cool). Sonya is not bad.

I still can't figure out why a burst 4 combi on the Stormbot is so expensive.

I can see using a Fuzzbot and/or REM Racer to mod the Stormbot. Marksmaship and boost it to BS14! Actually can you stack +1 Damage? So a Damage 16/17 HRL?!

6. Brokenwolf

Brokenwolf Well-Known Member

They like to charge extra points for zero SWC burst 4 weapons. Especially since it can go to burst 5. See the Mk12 Boyg and Kriza Borac.

7. Space Ranger

I guess that makes sense for TB but I'd never take it in Generic. Besides the HRL seems too good right now.

Brokenwolf likes this.
  8. archon

archon Well-Known Member

THIS! It would be a great opportunity to show that CB cares a little bit for older stuff and not only put the optimizer wand over the shiny new toys.

No faction/sectorial that has an even cheaper choice of precious CoC models. Even Kempetai is 1 pt above the RE not to mention the ment ;-)

burlesford likes this.
  9. Space Ranger

Oh WOW, I didn't see this before, Generic O-12 and Starmada has Vidocq MSR with Camo and surprise attack as well as TB! Previously it was only the Lynx MSR in Generic. Who for 3pts more is probably better, but it's nice to have the option if I really need 3pts. but want the long range.

Edit: then again the trade off is NCO and MSV1 for Mim-6 and Hidden Deployment. Hmmm :thinking_face:

#689 Space Ranger, Mar 13, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2024
  10. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Just wanted to say thank you @Koni and @Bostria (or rather the rules team behind you) for adjusting the points cost at least of the Strider. Would have wished for the Prime and Wrecker to go up in points at the final implementation as well, but it's better than nothing.

Assuming, of course, that it was an intentional fix, not just correcting a mistake in the previews.

Henshini, Graves and Modock like this.
  11. Benkei

Benkei Well-Known Member

If this release proves something is that CB doesn't give a shit about older sectorials.

TB release shows us CB knew IA had a lot of problems and they knew how to solve them, but they just took that fixed IA rules, made some cloned space marines and released them as a new shiny faction to make some fast cash and forget about it the moment the planned units are released (ofc it will never get miniatures for all the units, because NOBODY DOES in this game). Peak indolence.

Then the cycle goes on again, another new release copying the playstyle of some older Sectorial, just stronger, rinse and repeat. It's obvious, for whatever reason, that CB doesn't care about Infinity anymore, only autopiloting it doing the bare minimum so they can get some more cash out of players. It seems from now on the song will be "if you want to play a Sectorial balanced with the new ones, show us the money"

#691 Benkei, Mar 14, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2024
    Daireann likes this.
  12. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

It's paying for +1 damage as well, it's functionally a rangeband shifted Spitfire.

Space Ranger likes this.
  13. Daniel Darko

Daniel Darko Well-Known Member
    Warcor

If you really think, that this is true, you shouldn't be here.

Speaking for myself: I think the employees of CB care. Maybe they could not afford playtesting additional stuff during the development of TB.

Henshini, saint and burlesford like this.
  14. Stiopa

Stiopa Trust The Fuckhead

I also wouldn't agree that they don't care, but are definitely committed to doing things their way and in their pace, and don't take forum feedback into account. And let's be honest, if they would like to use that feedback there's a lot of suggestions, often contradictory, as well as angry ranting to dig through. Additionally almost every creator has some hubris to them, so I suspect that they're more content with their creation than us. Another factor is a common tendency to get defensive when criticised, especially when that critique's angry.

Bottom line is that there are more factors at play than just a question whether CB cares or not for older sectorials.

I'd argue for consistent pressure on CB to look back more, and to slow down new releases in favour of more frequent and comprehensive balance passes.

Solar, Errhile, Graves and 5 others like this.
  15. tacos

tacos Well-Known Member

I don't disagree that I'd very much like to see a lot of older and forgotten factions get some updates, and for some general internal balance work, but I think we can give CB more credit than what you are doing here.

Like QK and FRRM were utterly dire before reinfor, but the recent additions they got with the update last year and earlier this year have really helped them a ton. WB (and to a lesser extent vYJ) obviously got a massive glow up with the recent update. Starmada got a much needed shot in the arm with the BJC update last year. Yes more factions need an update, and things have been progressing slowly - but at least there has been some progression.

Sure TB isn't the most original release and has some elements that are derivative of IA and some other sectorials (Rovers are very similar to Zuyongs, Hellblazers are similar to Tankos), but it's still got some interesting elements. Striders are p interesting, the Prime is a reasonable apex gunfighter, Wreckers is a neat light TAG. I also think a lot of the power creep complaints are not fully thought through. Like Wreckers are 'powercreeping' totally mediocre units like the Shakush and Gecko. Striders are at most side-graded Zhencha, I don't even think it's a comparison that really holds a lot of water beyond 'infil camo HI.' I don't even think I agree with the comparison to IA - personally I'd compare TB to MAF.

In the grand scheme of things? I think it's a balanced release that lands in a good spot balance wise - not too busted, not too weak. I also think CB was pretty fair with the stuff from TB that they added to vO12 - not just throwing everything in, but also giving them some new toys a lot of which also help to differentiate vO12 further from Starmada.

#695 tacos, Mar 14, 2024
  16. UpirLihi

UpirLihi Well-Known Member

Well, some things were obvious for quite a while - that O-12 needs sectorials, that several existing sectorials need rework and that the OOP sectorials need something done about them.

CB addressed some of the OOP sectorials with reinforcements (NCA, QK and MRRF) which is a good step in the right direction, albeit short of a full solution. CB then addressed the first problem, releasing Torchlight. If you see old theories, you'd see that people were expecting either CA, O-12 or Haqq sectorial, overall it was hardly a surprise.

Now I still consider Torchlight very underwhelming and I understand why people are angry that Torchlight is taking gameplay identity space from IA and I'd have preferred this to be an IA rework and Torchlight to come next in a more... interesting manner. But CB clearly cares about Infinity and are working on the existing issues. Surely, not in the order I'd prefer, and with more bugs than I'd imagine, but they are obviously addressing what needs addressing.

burlesford and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  17. Benkei

Benkei Well-Known Member

Exactly who are you to tell me where I should be? I've been playing this game since the rules were a short booklet on the starter, and I would love to keep playing it, and i certainly don't think I should just shut up about the bad management of the game recently. Liking something doesn't mean you think everything is dandy with it even if you think everything is black or white.

CB didn't address the OOP Sectorials when you still can't play any of them unless you proxy HEAVILY of have the old minis because you are a veteran. Sure, they helped WB, the one Sectorial that didn't need help, while the other 2 Sectorials are left to rot. Overall the distribution of the Reinforcement profiles among Sectorials looks like pure improvisation.

And just to be clear, I have no problem with O12 getting a new Sectorial, my problem is it is not a new Sectorial, just an already existing Sectorial but better. CB got Infinity in autopilot and it seems they are just burned out and prefer other projects (I. E. Warcrow). And it's not just TLB, you can add the lack of creativity lately (everybody just gets the same Frenzy/Imp HI, the NWI+SI cheater, etc...) and the absolute clusterfuck that the Reinforcement release was and it's easy to deduce they just don't have their head in the game.

#697 Benkei, Mar 14, 2024
  18. Lucian

Lucian Catgirl Nation

Oh, are we having "You will not be missed" moment here?

19. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

No, that would be another company.

But I would definitely love to see the negativity and to be frank toxicity be dialed down, by a lot.

Banning is easy, its a simple process and for many individuals there is a wide community support to do so, not banning is the hard part and some individuals make it extraordinary hard with their behavior, at least some time out cannot be ruled out for some posters and it is not about what they say but how they say it.

Personally I would be sad to see some old forum members to go, especially those that have divergent opinion, and it does not have to be this way, it is up to each individual to correct their posting behavior.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  20. Benkei

Benkei Well-Known Member

And still you only address these kind of warnings when is someone who criticizes CB. Mind you, I gave my arguments and I was never rude to anybody (even after getting told to get lost), yet you still come out with the red font and the veiled threats. I dunno where the toxicity is, unless airing concerns about the game is now toxic.

Edit: now "negativity" is a banable offense? So we should all just praise everything?

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation