Cultural Learnings of Painting for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Nomads

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by burlesford, May 10, 2020.

1. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

I'm working on it ;) And thank you.

Agree on the Custodier. The newer models are a lot easier to paint though. As for the color scheme, I'm happy you like it – you are going to get a bit more of it yet :)

2. Law Dawg

Law Dawg Well-Known Member

I haven't been keeping up with your posts... What colours did you use for the cream armour parts? They look boss!

burlesford likes this.
  3. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Thanks! It's very simple actually: VMC Orange Brown as a base, highlighted with VMC Ivory mixed in as well as pure ivory (or, where I use the airbrush, simply pure ivory slowly worked up), with Ivory and white highlights.

Speaking of which, here's the first infinity model in a while where I didn't use cream white at all — a limited edition Mary Problems that a friend graciously gifted to me:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kesharq, redeemer, Michael and 14 others like this.
  4. Lady Numiria

Lady Numiria Cyberius TaskForce

Awesome paintjob! So much colorful and the lack of cream makes it pop even more. Only downside I could find is that maybe the tint of that hood is too close to her hair's, which makes the good reading of both a bit hard.

burlesford likes this.
  5. Law Dawg

I like the highlights you do on the weapons. Doing gun highlights would drive me crazy and I always rush through that part :joy:

burlesford likes this.
  6. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

Excellent work on an amazing model.

burlesford likes this.
  7. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

You're not wrong. I won't go back and change it though. Too much to do :D

It gets very repetitive at some point. But I hesitate doing anything else but black weapons, simply because it's the fastest way to do them. With so many weapons to paint that are always the same, I don't really want to spend any more time on them than necessary.

Thank you!

Since it will be a while before I get to paint the rest of the new Bakunin stuff, I went ahead and did a reshoot of my old Tunguska models. I noticed that my previous photo setup produced such unsatisfying results that I wanted to go back and do my paintjobs justice.

So, expect to see a lot of minis that you might recognize from previous pages – just not in this quality ;)

To start with a potent example of what I mean, let's take Miranda Ashcroft. Here's a side-by-side of the same mini (I only changed the base colour and added LoF markers since I painted her two years ago), just photographed with different cameras and using different lightboxes:

[​IMG]

It feels like two different miniatures, doesn't it?

Anyway, here's her whole reshoot. Seeing her like this, I'm actually excited to put her on the table at some point. Could never justify her points so far.

[​IMG]

8. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

Indeed, cameras can be such a harsh tool, photography is an art by itself.

burlesford likes this.
  9. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

An art which I still haven't really figured out. My pictures still seem to have fuzzier edges than I would want them to. But for now, it's good enough.

Here's Perseus aka the Mandalorian with better lighting:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kesharq, redeemer, BoxedSnake and 9 others like this.
  10. Wikkid Devil

Wikkid Devil Well-Known Member

This is the way.

burlesford likes this.
  11. archangeleong

archangeleong Deadly Ninja Assassin

what are you doing for lighting and camera set up?

12. Law Dawg

I dunno, I think I prefer the old Miranda Ashcroft photo. The re-shoot has better lighting, but so blurry! I like the sharpness of the older pic.

burlesford likes this.
  13. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

True, I'm still having troubles getting the new settings to produce ultra-crisp images. I'll keep working on it.

In the meantime, more re-shoots. Today, it's Not-Mark Spector painted like the Moonknight reference he clearly is:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

More throwbacks – here's one of the coolest sculpts CB did in the last years reshot in better light, Sforza from Defiance:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Since I was just talking about how I repurposed my previous Nomad warcor proxy for my Ramah Taskforce, here are some better pictures of my Freelance Stringer who has subsequently been promoted from HVT to warcor.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

redeemer, Sangarn, kesharq and 7 others like this.
  16. LeeroyVinland

LeeroyVinland O-12 Agent

Always a joy to see your paintjob. Love the color combination!

burlesford likes this.
  17. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Thanks! Let's continue with the Interventors. I really should have gone back and updated the OSL on the Fast Pandas to the current yellow-green before I took these new photos. At least they provide a nice example of how my OSL evolved over the years now...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. archon

archon Well-Known Member

Woha - you managed to make this one (and his pyama pose) look actualy good :sunglasses:

Lovley.

burlesford likes this.
  19. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Thank you! I never understood why they didn't paint him like the reference he's obviously supposed to be.

Going away from the characters even more, I had great fun revisiting my Kriza Borac as well. Seeing these guys in better light convinced me I had to put them into my lists again. Why else do you play Tunguska if not for that sweet sweet B6 HMG and B5 Mk12?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Happy new year everyone!

I know I'm a little bit late, but to kick off 2024, I wanted to share what I managed to get done in 2023:

[​IMG]

I'm happy to say that with 122 Infinity minis painted, I was able to break my record of 2019 (119). I finished four army backlogs:
    • Tunguska
    • NCA
    • O-12
    • Ramah Taskforce
    I also painted up an entire Bakunin force, with only 6 models left to still be painted (the Stigmaton, the Expansion pack Alpha, the Illuminatrix, and a Sin-Eater).

For 2024, my projects have to be much smaller though, since come March I will be a dad. So what am I planning this year?
    • Paint up one more (small) new faction that I always wanted to play. Won't say yet which one, but I'll share it here once it's ready.
    • Finish my Bakunin models.
    • Paint up 7 Corregidor models to play one list I want to try out. I still have one Mobile Brigada, the Intruder, and a lot of cross-sectorial stuff, so it's not a big investement for one list.
    • Add a few more minis to my Caledonia project.
    • Finish my two Azra'il so I can play a single QK list as well, and maybe get the Haqq reinforcements so I don't have to proxy as much with my RTF minis.
    • Paint up the Aftermath characters for my Tunguska and Bakunin.
    • Paint up the Squalo Mk2 I got for Christmas.
    Apart from that, I also still have an entire Spires army from Parabellum's Conquest game, so who knows how many of these projects I will actually get done this year. But I heard the true limitation of people's hobby time only really starts after the kid's first six months, so here's to hoping.

What are your projects for 2024?

#500 burlesford, Jan 6, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2024
    redeemer, Sangarn, nehemiah and 7 others like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation