1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So why is O12 apparently quite unpopular?

Discussion in 'O-12' started by Time Bandit, Mar 21, 2022.

1. Time Bandit

Time Bandit Vulnerability (Total)

If I can just ... *punt* ... clear away some of the tumbleweed in this sub for a minute, let me ask you, oh members of the (very) thin blue line: why in your opinion is O12 not setting the game alight? In my local experience I rarely see them on the table, and there seems to be a lot of players who bought them but never followed through and painted them up & put them on the table. Me included.

I mean it's Infinity's latest faction, it's had staggeringly good model support in record time, and it has a lot of very interesting profiles, with a lean towards optimisation, control and midfield roadblocks, which are all game elements that are highly prized.

So what gives? Why is this hands-down the quietest faction sub in the forums? Is it due to Starmada being a bit consevatively written? The cops-in-space theme? Many of O-12's best profiles actually being Aleph? A side effect of O12 getting a lot of their releases in lockdown season? Or something to do with their aesthetic or gameplay style? What gives?

2. Tourniquet

Tourniquet TJC Tech Support

They only recently got most of the needed profiles as models (most were locked behind a KS), hit right before an edition change then into a pandemic, and still feels like it's missing another secotrials worth of stuff to flesh it out.

basically timing stopped it from being big at launch and the the last few years havent helped at all. give them time.

I recently started playing them again regularly and trying to relearn how they work.

Golem2God, Wizzy and Time Bandit like this.
  3. Alfy

Alfy Well-Known Member

I'm superficial, and for me it's the aesthetics. I think the models are alright, but I find the paint scheme horrendous. Navy and gold is not particularly enticing to me, and the aqua used here and there clashes badly. It's also difficult to copy if like me you like to paint official schemes: the gold NMM takes more work than I'm ready to put in.

But then I'm someone who has bought a lot of their Infinity stuff based on looks, I assume many posters here are better than I!

Rejnhard likes this.
  4. Fed4ykin

Fed4ykin Well-Known Member

For me personally it was that starmada was somewhat underwhelming, restricted and there where a lot of somewhat redundant models added instead of working with the gamma and omegas and the likes that are available in vanilla.
    I actually painted all the O12 miniatures of operation wildfire and like them from the asthestic viewpoint, well except the zeta. But I already had so many factions that I gave the painted O12 and the exclusive models from Defiance to a friend.

Mahtamori and Time Bandit like this.
  5. Duront

Duront Well-Known Member

I think it's a combo of there isn't much to discuss on the forums due to a lot of interest when the first came out and they haven't recieved much since, combined with some peoples disappointment with Starmada. For me, I really like O-12 as it can run any kind of list I want and is good for new players but I find myself drawn to the more complex gameplay in Ariadna and Shasvastii.

Time Bandit likes this.
  6. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

Lack of narrative depth. They're portrayed as unironic good guys.

Savnock and Drakefall like this.
  7. Cthulhu363

Cthulhu363 May his passage cleanse the world.

Heavy handed, overreaching bloated bureaucracy is the good guy?

Remnar, Stiopa, Abrilete and 3 others like this.
  8. Brokenwolf

Brokenwolf Well-Known Member

They are by definition, "The Man." They also look like they were custom built to be the beginner faction. Hopefully as the world begins to open up, we shall see more of them.

Cthulhu363 and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  9. Hecaton

They're not actually portrayed as heavy handed or overreaching in the fluff.

Drakefall likes this.
  10. Cthulhu363

Agree to disagree.

Dragonstriker likes this.
  11. Aspect Graviton

Aspect Graviton Friendly Alien Overlord
    Warcor

We have 7 O12 players mostly drawn from our more recent crops of recruits in a group of about 30 players so I would tend to say they're doing pretty well in my parts (if anything we struggle for Pano players)

O12 didn't have many models at the start, the models that exist are very nice but they're struggling in range at the moment, like gangbusters; everyone and their dog uses at least 1 gang buster and the only model available is the gorgeous but pretty niche usage shotgun profile rather than SMG KHD madtraps which people actually use.

Time Bandit likes this.
  12. Hecaton

There's just no evidence for your argument. O-12 is portrayed as unfailingly righteous, justified, and heroic, in contrast to basically every other faction in the game.

Drakefall likes this.
  13. WiT?

WiT? Well-Known Member

For me it was the Epsilon, and the whole "better Nisse" argument. Then I saw the Varangian, which felt like a better Galwegian, and after that I couldn't help but see the faction as some power creepy Bulrog.

I know its not true, but man, first impressions really matter.

For what its worth, I love the blue and gold aesthetic on certain models (fuck yes bluecoats), but don't like it extended across the range.

Judge Dredd, Abrilete and csjarrat like this.
  14. Brokenwolf

Brokenwolf Well-Known Member

The forces of O-12 are the Space Cops. While cops are popular protagonists in media, it is definitely not universal belief that cops are unfailingly righteous. O12 is no different in that regard. To me, the fluff makes clear that they do some ambiguous things to keep the peace and the status quo. In addition, the fluff blurbs for the units make clear that they are not all good guys (Lynx, PSI-Cops, Razors https://infinitytheuniverse.com/blog/december-releases). Also the betatroopers have a such a high attrition rate something has to be off (https://infinitytheuniverse.com/blog/betatroopers-unit-beta)...

Basically, every faction has its grey.

15. Alfy

Alfy Well-Known Member

I think both point of views are actually valid, funnily enough. They’re the hyper-idealist UN with the actual means to do things. THEY certainly think of themselves as righteous, justified and heroic, but they’re also very much a bureaucracy, and a heavy-handed one at that.

I’d also point out that their decisions-making sucks. Sure, let’s validate Yu Jing presence on Svalarheima, and ensure the two hyper-powers have a constant point of friction and seizable battle front for the foreseeable future. Again.

16. Cthulhu363

It's almost like the fluff is nuanced and has multiple ways of seeing it from different points of view.

Remnar, Croepoek, Goonhammer and 2 others like this.
  17. Hecaton

Can you show that's anything other than an attempt to explain away inconsistencies?

When O-12 was first released I joked that "they're globalist cops, a faction both the left and the right can hate." But the issue is that they're neither - any negative ideas about police or globalism or anything else are just the fans projecting onto O-12 what they thought might be true - the fluff relentlessly portrays them as cops with none of the downsides, just some cool "don't play by the rules" types to spice up the faction. And they're generally portrayed as righteous in their usurpation of nations' sovereignty as well - the sensible adult O-12 in the face of those squabbling naughty luttle children.

(If anyone is putting forward the Defiance storyline as a counterpoint, it's so poorly written, plotted, and characterized that I can't really see it counting).

Drakefall and Dragonstriker like this.
  18. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

Don’t forget the righteous, tooth breaking fury of the Bluecoats when called that to their face, the Gammas in Sudenne, the brutality of the Bronzes.

We could also note the body cam audio of the Epsilon who executed three and severely wounded a fourth criminal extrajudicially?

#18 A Mão Esquerda, Mar 21, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
  19. Cthulhu363

I'm not going to do your reading for you dude. You see things differently when you read. That's fine. That's why i said agree to disagree. Some people think Yu Jing are the good guys.

chromedog and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  20. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

Part of the beauty. Read the lot, and you see everyone is grey, and your assessment of it is a reflection of you, not them.

Remnar, bladerunner_35 and Cthulhu363 like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation