1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Official Announcement] Injected Thermoplastic miniatures

Discussion in 'News' started by Koni, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

Lol, no it's not, it looks like he's cleaned the detail with a lighter, the "fur" is now concave itself, no fur looks like that.

The line across armour is in the first pic.

2. Cthulhu363

Cthulhu363 May his passage cleanse the world.

It looks like fur now and it'll look like fur once it's painted. Well done.

tox, Gwynbleidd and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  3. Gwynbleidd

Gwynbleidd Non asto coram malo

I can see the line now but that line doesn’t really bother me. It looks like an easy fix with a dremell or knife. I assume anyway, haven’t used the dremell on siocast yet. The only line I was concerned about was that line across the face and from what I can see it looks like he cleaned it up well. I’d add some liquid green stuff and do a small resculpt to make sure but I don’t think it’ll be a problem.

Mine is supposedly turning up tomorrow, if it does I’ll be happy if the issues are this small. These are issues I can fix easier than if they were on the metal.

4. redeemer

redeemer Well-Known Member

do not try to use scalpels on thermoplastic use sandpaper and a file instead
    PS: the material is still better than the garbage knight models use

5. Gwynbleidd

Why not? If you’re careful and know how you’re cutting you’ll take off the flash with little to no effort. The only issue is on problem areas where you’d need to be even more careful. It worked well and easily with the flash on my Vostok. My preference for cleaning up minis is my dremell rotary tool but again, haven’t yet used it on siocast.

Some have mentioned sanding and filing to cause issues with siocast but if it works as other thermoplastics do then it shouldn’t be a problem. Please let me know if you’ve tried it on the Vostok/your bearpode if it’s arrived and what the results were like.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  6. Wizzy

Wizzy Well-Known Member

7. Time Bandit

Time Bandit Vulnerability (Total)

Had a look at my friend's bearpode in the box yesterday, gotta say there was zero flash on the face. Very clean model. Looks like Russian roulette on how much clean up will be necessary with your particular beary friend.

Cthulhu363, Gwynbleidd and Abrilete like this.
  8. Gwynbleidd

9. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

Coated with paint the damage looks... eh, passable for a gaming mini viewed from the table. Not acceptable for a focus point of a painter's mini where you want to show off your skills, that's for sure.

Still he hasn't removed the lines on the neck and just painted over them, also hasn't touched the mould shift on the arm and weapon, wasn't able to fully clean up the line on the concave part of the shoulder armour, just like I said. I'm not even mentioning all the frayed edges the material seems to have here and there.

It's better than the Vostok. It's gamer acceptable. Not for painters, unfortunately :(

[​IMG]

Abrilete likes this.
  10. Gwynbleidd

I’m pretty certain that any painter worth their salt won’t be put off by the minor blemishes on this miniature and will be able to make it a stunning piece when finished. The work that’s been done here is so far excellent. The issues on this mini seem more in line with what we see on the metal minis from CB. Better than the Vostok and it’s only the second release. I am cautiously optimistic for the future.

11. Gwynbleidd

Hmm... Russian roulette. How appropriate.

Seriously though, if this is only the second release, I’m looking forward (cautiously) to the next set.

12. Abrilete

Abrilete Well-Known Member

After reading people's comments about the tools and skills needed (sanding, using dremel, resculpting with liquid green stuff...), I hope I won't need to buy any Siocast model, at least for now, until they have improved the results.
    I can see that it is better than most PVC plastic models, but it's still not up to quality to Corvus metal models. Also, doesn't allow bending for repositioning limbs for conversions (the only trick I know when trying to convert a mini :p ).

This product is not for me.

Pierzasty and Nuada Airgetlam like this.
  13. Gwynbleidd

How long have you been converting miniatures out of interest? Because if you’re only comfortable with metal miniatures there is a vast, vast array of minis out there that are also not for you. There are a large number of metal miniatures available but the numbers of these pale in comparison to the amount of plastic and resin that is available.

Were you similarly upset when the Perry’s moved away from metal miniatures for some of their ranges? Or GW? I do recall a large amount of disdain for what people termed “failcast”.

I’m quite intrigued by your statement and the reasoning behind it. If you’re only used to metal, there are far more opportunities for conversion among plastic and resin miniatures. The skills mentioned for modifying the issues in this mini are rudimentary skills for most people who collect and build any wargame miniatures.

#733 Gwynbleidd, Nov 27, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    chromedog and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  14. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

Since some of the folks in the thread may lack or have lost access to/been removed from the FB group these are posted in, it's worth paraphrasing the artist on two points. First, they pointed out, in the first comment on the painted face pic, that they missed the mold lines on the gun, and "easy fix, lol". Second, that we'll never be playing a game with the Bearpode under 4k lumens lights, and with magnifying glasses, but rather like this:

[​IMG]

15. Gwynbleidd

In all fairness I’d love to see a game played under 4K lumens lights and magnifying glasses... I think the results would be instantly YouTube worthy!

This looks excellent so far. I hope we see it when it’s all finished. I’m still waiting on mine. Monday is most likely now as the U.K. doesn’t get post on a Sunday. :disappointed_relieved:

Cthulhu363 and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  16. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

They would be so close up it would make my brain hurt far too much… although, in seriousness, it is worth remembering to keep things in perspective.

Gwynbleidd likes this.
  17. Gwynbleidd

:joy: Excellent pun. Well done. I’d totally watch it though. Just for the commentary. No one would be able to tell what they were doing!

RolandTHTG and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  18. Abrilete

I've converted miniatures only when strictly neccesary, very few times. And yes, I like more my metal Tomb Kings than the plastic ones.

Failcast, even for a Tomb Kings army (you now, lot of reanimated things that died millenia ago) had a misserable quality. Even that time when I helped my friend to clone some of his old models using a makeshift furnace in the kitchen we got better results.

Pierzasty likes this.
  19. Gwynbleidd

Failcast was never a fail for me. I never had a bad resin miniature from Games Workshop. They got better with their resin, Corvus Belli will get better (and from the bearpode look to already have) with their siocast.

If you’ve been gaming so long and haven’t converted much then you’d be better served with historical miniatures that require assembly only. Sci fi minis and fantasy based minis have a plethora of conversion opportunities that every miniature collector I know has taken.

Your problem with the bearpode is that it’s too difficult to work with. Every Wargamer/miniature collector has had to deal with flash, poor moulding and even resculpting when necessary. Your complaint is literally “I don’t want to put the work in”. I find that an unacceptable response when every other miniature from time immemorial has required some work. The fact that you’re willing to attempt to recast your own tomb kings says you will do the work when necessary, so why not here? It’s far less dangerous to take care of mould lines than it is to melt down and pour resin.

It’s your hobby, you can take to it however you’d like but if your main issue with a mini is that it takes too much work, and that you don’t want to do any work to get your mini looking good then you really should look at something else.

WiT? and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  20. Abrilete

I just gave my honest opinion, I didn't expect someone I don't even know telling me what to do.

My complaint is literally "After reading people's comments about the tools and skills needed (sanding, using dremel, resculpting with liquid green stuff...), I hope I won't need to buy any Siocast model, at least for now, until they have improved the results.". That's what "literally" means.

I just prefer metal miniatures that do not need that kind of work and tools, I prefer to work with metal miniatures, I don't know why you have to portrait me as a crybaby.

Vyo, chaos11, WiT? and 4 others like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation