1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Official Announcement] Injected Thermoplastic miniatures

Discussion in 'News' started by Koni, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Lawson

Lawson Well-Known Member

I actually could have used some help with my Traktor Muls - ended up doing some crazy-ass pinning to keep the heavy launchers on those tiny little pegs. They look good now but it's thanks to the fact that all the crap I did under there is hidden on the underside. It does seem kind-of insane to me that they knowingly put huge heavy pieces on the end of really tiny attachment points. Obviously pinning is a skill that is required for some things but I think there are smarter ways to design stuff to keep it from being necessary. It was obvious from the moment I took them out of the box that a huge amount of weight was going to be put on a tiny stress point.
    The one thing I'm looking forward to with the Siocast is the fact that (hopefully) there are fewer weight issues.

2. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

Thanks, I will look for it.

3. Wizzy

Wizzy Well-Known Member

FYI, we have a first review for the Bearpod team by Ethan, look ok.

Post: https://www.facebook.com/groups/WGCInfinity/posts/4689349671088333/
    Few pictures from post (14):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Edit for the Bear face:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/WGCInfinity/posts/4693544637335503/

See in the post for full pics:
    [​IMG]

Edit for painted bearpod face

Post: https://www.facebook.com/groups/WGCInfinity/posts/4695633147126652/
    [​IMG]

#703 Wizzy, Nov 25, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
  4. Gwynbleidd

Gwynbleidd Non asto coram malo

Looking good. I’m only concerned about that line on the face. Otherwise I’m quite impressed. Hope mine turns up soon.

Cthulhu363 and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  5. Lucian

Lucian Catgirl Nation

It will be different they say
    [​IMG]

6. Gwynbleidd

This is only the first one seen in the wild. Give it a bit longer for more to come out, the rest of that mini looks quite crisp. I too am concerned about the head but I have been since I saw it as it’s an issue that’s been evident on the antipodes.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  7. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

The grenades are bad too, they're gonna be ass to clean without wrecking them.

The slip on the gun present in the studio painted mini isn't there though, so that's good.

8. Gwynbleidd

Think the grenades will be a pain if they have issues indeed due to their location. I was far more concerned about the armour having slip but it looks quite good so far. I am holding my breath for mine to arrive. (Figuratively, not literally else I’ll be dead and never get to build it).

9. Lucian

Lucian Catgirl Nation

Wouldn't be half as bad if siocast wasn't turning into rubbery mess when filed or sanded. At this rate you need some kind of fine carving tools to clear all the recesses without damaging other details

Pierzasty and Abrilete like this.
  10. Gwynbleidd

Fine carving tools like a dremell rotary tool are the most useful I find for all materials. They’re relatively cheap to pick up too and are quite easy to use. I recommend some practice on off cuts of sprue and the like before using on your minis.

11. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

Care to share the details?

I've bought myself a dremel rotary tool a few days ago, but I don't really see how I could use it for working on miniatures - I got it for various repair jobs around the house. Given my experineces with the previous one (similar, though of a cheap brand - it stopped working, hence the upgrade to a Dremel).

Which tip would you use on a Siocast mini?

Gwynbleidd likes this.
  12. Wizzy

Wizzy Well-Known Member

Breaking News. For the face, he wrote a new nice review. :v: https://www.facebook.com/groups/WGCInfinity/posts/4693544637335503/

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Edit for painted bearpod face

Post: https://www.facebook.com/groups/WGCInfinity/posts/4695633147126652/
    [​IMG]

#712 Wizzy, Nov 26, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    McDevil, Cthulhu363, Abrilete and 3 others like this.
  13. Gwynbleidd

The one I have has a few tools that are used for engraving and the like. I’m not sure if the name of the bit I use at the moment for metal minis but it essentially works like a dentists drill. I cut off as much as I can beforehand using a very fine blade too. After that I follow the lines of the model and go carefully. In some cases, notably plastic I have a very fine sanding tool which also comes with a buffing end which I use to get rid of mould lines. I always work slowly and sparingly with the tool.

In other cases for working on minis, I’ve used one bit to sharpen the teeth of some lizardmen, (the kroxigor) I’ve carved runes into space marine power armour for space wolves (and more eldritch style ones for chaos marines) I’ve even used the tool to cut out the blade from a sword handle I liked so I could swap in a different blade. The possibilities are incredibly varied.

I haven’t yet needed to use it on a siocast mini. I only currently own the vostok and mine was really easy to clean up with a blade. I imagine the issue might be similar to a metal mini as siocast seems to need carving not sanding.

Edit: when doing any work of this nature; wear a mask! You do not want to be getting any particulate of resin/metal or plastic into your lungs as this can cause fatal issues.

#713 Gwynbleidd, Nov 26, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
    Errhile likes this.
  14. Gwynbleidd

15. Pierzasty

Pierzasty Null-Space Entity

If you haven't yet, do get the attachment for variable size bits instead of the few predetermined sizes.

Gwynbleidd likes this.
  16. Gwynbleidd

Yes, this. Knew I’d forgotten something. Amazon is your friend in this case, especially if you want the bits the next day... that or a drive to whichever B&Q/similar tools warehouse. The variable size bit attachment can be quite cheap, some of the bits can be quite expensive for their size.

17. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

I intend to. So far I got the tool itself delivered, like two days ago, so gimme a while :)

Umm... not to my experience ;) But that's merely nitpicking on my part.
    Still, I'm not that sure of my hands' steadiness to use an engraving bit on a mini!

Gwynbleidd likes this.
  18. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

The bear looks like a pox survivor after that "fix". The fur is damaged. It might not be visible in black primer, figures, but it will show up like a bitch from zenithal and there's no detail to paint anymore. It's a horrible job he's done, tbh.

The line across concave armour... argh.

19. Gwynbleidd

You’ll get used to it faster than you think!

20. Gwynbleidd

That’s just going to look like fur once it’s painted... I’ve seen far worse come out at an insane standard. Where was the line across the armour? I missed that one.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation