1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The other TAGs

Discussion in 'Combined Army' started by Space Ranger, Nov 9, 2021.

1. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

Meaning other than Avatar. I'm gearing up to play CA again and was thinking of getting the Avatar but then he's pricey both money and pts. So how do people use the other TAGs? The Overdron looks to be a great TAG for the price. Perfect for taking out those MSV+MIM core team snipers and such. The cool thing about the Sphinx however is I can use it with Shas, Onyx, and Vanilla.

But no matter what, I'd like some tips and tricks that exist for using them. Right away I think of supporting the Sphinx and Avatar with White Noise.

Golem2God likes this.
  2. Aspect Graviton

Aspect Graviton Friendly Alien Overlord
    Warcor

The Sphinx is a bully, it uses it's climbing, marker state and speed to get into a flanking position and punch downwards and avoids even engagements, trying to gut your opponents order pool.

The Overdron is a gun, works great paired with another tag, using albedo to cover an Avatar or a Sphinx or providing fire back up to an advancing Raicho or Xeodron. While I like all the profiles I tend to take the cheap but still powerful HRL, getting a little SMG in N4 made it better than it already was. Overdrons need babysitters, other than the SMG on 1 profile they are not fans of enemies within 16".

Raicho, god of TAGs. Last month I went to a tournament running two triple TAG lists as a joke; one was Avatar, Xeo, Over one was Raicho, Xeo, Over, The game I lost I doubt I'd have lost if I'd have used the Raicho list as the Marut that went through the avatar would have been at the mercy of an active turn Raicho H:SG and the support troops would not have enjoyed the mine dispenser.

Anyway anecdotes aside the Raicho is a beast. The H:SG mine dispenser variant is just so, so good, for projecting no go areas on the board and murdering things close or far. The other profiles like the NCO are good but I don't feel offer enough attraction to draw me from the Mine dispenser.

Xeodrons: Superjump is good. K1 is good, blitzens are good, bioimmunity is obscene. If it's an assault plan you can get behind it's a really solid choice, where the sphinx struggles to punch upward at heavier units the xeo feels like it's made for it.

DaRedOne, Golem2God and Space Ranger like this.
  3. Space Ranger

The new Sphinx is also amazing looking! I like I can use it for up to three forces but it's so expensive! Points.

I didn't know Xeodrons had Bioimmunity! That's really cool.

Golem2God likes this.
  4. Aspect Graviton

Warcor

Yeah the higher arm and BTS makes them great with the ability to functionally ignore AP and almost ignore breaker. if you can get them to a high place in the centre of the board using that 6-2 super jump they can generally tank at effective ARM 9 in while good range with a marksman rifle or blitzen or put it on suppression. With the K1 even if your targets have cover it's a 55% failure rate on ARM regardless of target (barring them also having bioimmunity)

5. Space Ranger

Wow I didn't realize Bioimmunity would let you use your BTS against K1 or Mono since they are against ARM. And ARM against E/M!

Why would anyone pay juse a few less pts and 0.5 swc for the mutl-marksman? K1 already has you covered against all heavy armored. I don't think it's worth it for the Shock at dmg 14 or DA in ARO.

6. Kelthret

Kelthret Usuario

Versatility. The Multi can deal with both armored targets and with squishy targets with regeneration/nearby doctor. Is not as good as dealing with one of those types as the K1 or the Red Fury but has the option to deal damage no matter the target (plus better ARO, as you pointed out)

Aspect Graviton likes this.
  7. Aspect Graviton

Warcor

Yep, if you asked me 4 months ago which order of preference I had it would have been multi marksman > Red fury (for the active turn burst) > K1. It's one of the reasons I think the Haris in Onyx is so viable, you can take two, split your loadouts and have your cake and eat it, these days however I'd put the K1 as first in line, especially as it doesn't come with SWC so it's not coming out of your budget for hackers, rockets or HMGs which I always tend to find doesn't go that far in Onyx.

I'd still rate the K1 over the Multi in ARO but more due to the fact that I always try to get them on suppression in mid field where B3 K1 suppression is better than a B1 DA or B3 shock/AP suppression, possibly just a meta thing but I tend to see more armoured attack pieces these days than 1W or NWI or regen that isn't shock immune and the K1 gives more pause for thought I also tend to value putting models down which K1 is more likely to do than making sure they're not getting back up, if your opponent then wants to spend orders on Doctor/paramedic then they're often diverting resources rather than advancing on the mission (barring kill more army points games obviously) so your ARO piece is still slowing them down without being exposed to risk. That is however absolutely meta and personal playstyle dependent.

Kelthret likes this.
  8. WiT?

WiT? Well-Known Member

I dunno, does it? I ran a Sally once and found it struggled pretty hard as soon as a target had mimetism, let alone mimetism and a good ARO.

The only time I actually ran the Overdron specifically it died to a suppfire Spez rifle in the open while shooting it from 24" away in cover. But then again, it didn't do any worse than the previous two TAGs that tried to fight that asshole so maybe its just spez OP

Have found in general that BS13 is not the best answer to good mimetism dudes. Or bad mimetism dudes honestly.

9. Space Ranger

Well, to me it's not as much about the mimetisim and about the Albedo vs. MSV. But then I started thinking that maybe not so good since if it's a core team, Sixth Sense would nullify any benefit. Oh well...

10. WiT?

WiT? Well-Known Member

It's mostly being able to get into position. Or maybe like, walk to an objective, dismount behind the tag, grab it, and run away. All right in front of their Kamau lol.

Aspect Graviton and Space Ranger like this.
  11. Willen

Willen Well-Known Member

The Overdron has Albedo (that is what comes to mind when SPace Ranger mentioned MSV snipers) but if they are core-linked, it is useless. Only use is to maneuver past the sniper to butcher other core members first...

Ninja'ed by the previous posts. Yeah, one thing is that if the main ARO bet of the opponent is a MSV core-linked sniper, you can maneuver past him, ignore him and kill OTHER things through paths he/she thought were protected.

Space Ranger likes this.
  12. Cranky Old Man

Cranky Old Man Well-Known Member

Avatar immunity to possession is gold though. Played against a Raicho and Nourkias possessed it and then used its sweet weapons on his own team. That was living the dream!

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation