1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for reference photos: Marut and Moriarty

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by Varsovian, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Varsovian

Varsovian Well-Known Member

Hello!

I'm planning on assembling Marut and Moriarty soon (maybe even today). The problem is, these models are a bit complicated. I actually nearly succeeded at building a Marut once, but then it turned out I positioned some elements incorrectly and the final pieces didn't fit. As for Moriarty, I'm still not really sure how that darned cat is supposed to look like...

Could I ask for some good references photos of these minis? With clear front view and side views, hopefully? There are quite a few photos online, of course, but they all seem to have been taken at weird angles and it's not that easy to work out the positioning of individual pieces.

I'd really appreciate your help!

2. Pierzasty

Pierzasty Null-Space Entity

I have a pic of my disassembled Marut laid out so the parts are where they should go. I'll look for it later.

Be warned, the Marut is a huge bitch to assemble (but I'm sure you already at least suspect that).

Varsovian likes this.
  3. Varsovian

Yeah... She definitely is.

IIRC, the exact problem was that I positioned one of the arms at an incorrect angle - and, in result, one of the pauldrons couldn't be made to fit in. So I had to break the whole thing apart and start from the beginning...

4. RAF

RAF Something Wicked

I found out that the problem is how you glue the gun to your right arm. If it is more "flat" the shoulder pad will not fit, if you "twist" it slightly forward, it should be OK.
    Marut.jpg

5. RAF

RAF Something Wicked

Ok, picture isn't very clear. Imagine that you are looking at the gun from the front, turn it slightly counterclockwise, then its upper part (the arc-shaped part) will move away from the body of the model and the shoulder pad should fit.

6. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

7. Varsovian

Yes! Exactly! That's the mistake I made! Thank you :)

Oooh, nice. Thank you :)

Any help with Moriarty? I've looked at some photos online and I'm still not sure what I am looking at...

8. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

Ah, the little bot with Carlota Kowalsky, OK. After a quick search, the clearest, sorta official source i found with a side pic was this:
    [​IMG]

And also found this Putty&Paint painted entry, also with a side view.

Neither is fully helpful but hopefully they should help.

Varsovian likes this.
  9. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

Since I do have the model - what exactly do you need to see?

Varsovian likes this.
  10. Varsovian

Thank you :)

The details of the backpack and how it fits with the main body. I'm not sure if it's supposed to stick out at an angle, where to attach it etc...

11. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

OK, gimme a few minutes to upload the photos.

Edit: here you are, @Varsovian . I decided it is too much hassle to post the photos here, so you get a link to my Google Photos.

#11 Errhile, Sep 14, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    Varsovian and jherazob like this.
  12. Varsovian

Thank you! That was most helpful. I finally managed to assemble him this evening.

It still took me way longer than expected, because I kept breaking off the darned wingtip things... but in the end, I did it. Phew!

toadchild likes this.
  13. Varsovian

All right, I sat down today and assembled the Bunny Girl.

It took me only about four hours...

I started pretty confident and had no trouble with the legs. But when assembling the lower arms, things started to go sideways - for once, I made the same mistake as before and didn't leave enough space for the right shoulder pad. Glueing on the head was a pain, too - I got in place, then it broke off. I glued it on, but then the ears broke off... And so on. Oh, and the pointy knee caps kept breaking off, too.

Right now? The damnable thing is complete... but I expect it to break apart at some point again. This model is just too fragile.

Once again, I can't help thinking how easy and low on stress current GW models are. I know, Infinity's models have better details due to being metal... but four freaking hours? It's the time you need to assemble a fancy behemoth-sized model for AoS. GW models of size comparable to Marut's require... what, half an hour to assemble? And they actually *stay assembled* after you glue them together.

In any case, Marut is a model in a dire need of a resculpt. Not a total redesign, mind you - but she needs better joints at least. I assembled the Sphinx last week and it was much easier. And I'm much more confident about its durability...

14. Koin-Koin

Koin-Koin Well-Known Member

Without denying how frustrating some models could be, after seeing this advice in the forum before then experiencing how true it can be : fresh glue works better.

So it may be time to open a new bottle.

Errhile and jherazob like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation