1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How CodeOne worked for me…

Discussion in 'Rules' started by Romansky, Aug 21, 2021.

1. Romansky

Romansky Shadowrunner

Hej,

as a noob i would like to share my „user experience“ regarding CodeOne -
    How it worked for me (and for Corvus Belli):

- Stumbled about infinity years ago and was a little unsure because of rule complexity…

- Some years later i saw the CodeOne boxes in my local store (never really recognized the infinity stuff before)

- Searched the net and liked the idea of reduced rules, so i returned to my store an bought some CodeOne boxes.

- got deeper into the game and had 2-3 little games with myself and really quick decided to
    switch to N4 because of more possibilities

- now i love the complexity and im on the road to Infinity N4 now…

- i think CodeOne works perfect as a flyer and door opener, but the magic party is N4

i know this is not a rule question, but i wanted to share this thought…

#1 Romansky, Aug 21, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
    Blakhart, Uthoroc and FlipOwl like this.
  2. Lawson

Lawson Well-Known Member

I agree - I came to Infinity almost the same way; quickly shifted from C1 to N4 for the expanded possibilities. C1 is a bit simpler but not by much, and its limitations mean that you need to employ brute force more often than not to win fights, whereas in N4 there are more juicy tactical options. Kaldstrom was a great way to be introduced to the game, though.

3. kghamilton

kghamilton The_Omnishambles
    Warcor

Great points there. I initially felt like people weren’t spending long enough playing C1 before moving to N4. But, from what I’ve noticed thus far, it really is a kiddy pool for N4 than a stand alone game.

People play the game for the complexity, and c1 is definitely more brute force. What I’ve noticed in our area, playing C1 with Guts fixes some of those issues.

4. Lawson

Lawson Well-Known Member

Guts was definitely the first thing I added to C1 when I found out about it. Funny enough, C1 is much less forgiving of little mistakes without it, which feels a bit odd for what should be the introductory experience.

kghamilton likes this.
  5. Uthoroc

Uthoroc Well-Known Member

Pretty much the same experience for me. I first got an introduction into N3 with the Red Veil box, but getting deeper into the game was daunting and put me off for a while. Then C1 came along and gave an excellent entry vector into the game. Played 2-3 games with a friend and then was quickly ready to add more complexity to the game. That was easy to do from C1 into N4.

6. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

Don't forget that the Guts rules are an entire page of rules, feature in two related skills (Courage and Religious), and complicate a few other rules.

Yeah, it's a really useful step in the order resolution sequence, but it's a whole entire step that I think you'd want to have part of an Operation Weathersystem chapter to introduce.

Just saying that I can see why it was left out.

7. Lawson

Lawson Well-Known Member

Yeah, I can absolutely understand why it was left out from a rules standpoint, along with many other rules, but even as someone who had never played Infinity before and started with C1, it instinctively felt like something was missing from the combat sequence until I discovered it.

I think particularly when you are teaching people how to play, if they fail a dodge on their reactive turn but get all the way past being hit by a shot and then manage to survive... elation turns to frustration when they realize they're just going to get hammered again and there's nothing they can do about it. The way I played Guts initially in C1 was something between the actual N4 rules and essentially just "you get an additional dodge movement if you want if you're hit and survive" and it really worked well for my enjoyment of the game.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation