1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I know.... plastic infinity

Discussion in 'News' started by Shyvax, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

There is precision engineering, and there is having to test fit and going whatever works. No numbers is a strong hint pointing to the second. First one would be implied by X+-Y numbers.

Sometimes the plastic is harder, suggesting they use whatever is loaded in the machine. And different materials, different shrinking and flexibility. Magnets can also be wrong, as "make one, label as imperial or metric and blame the +-Y if anyone asks". There are two items in the problem.

IMHO, order multiple and use epoxy glue or GS to fill the difference. Bonus: the flexibility should help with shocks and keep the magnet surface level with the table.

TL;DR: no strong commitment in the plastic or magnet manufacture, so test and use whatever works at a given time.

xagroth likes this.
  2. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

If all you want from the magnet slot is to have a magnet, then it might do. If you need the magnet to go in a consistent spot I found them to be unusable. At least for how I personally build and paint my models, any mispack where the base is missing is an improvement unfortunately.

xagroth likes this.
  3. wes-o-matic

wes-o-matic feeelthy casual

Is that to do with trying to place the model on a LOF base and finding that you need to drill a pinning hole right where the magnet socket is? If so, I've had more than a few of those myself. Not my favorite product design UX experience.

4. Lawson

Lawson Well-Known Member

Yeah, I basically ignore the magnet 'slots' at this point and just do whatever I want and us Procreate putty (e.g. grey stuff) to mount the magnet(s) flush to the base.

ETEA and Mob of Blondes like this.
  5. McKaptain

McKaptain Well-Known Member

The first thing I do with the LoF bases is file off the LoF markings.

6. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

I just toss them into a box and pick a base without them from my other box of regular bevelled slotted bases. (I need to cast up some fresh resin ones, though).
    The 40 and 55mm bases I have resin bases for.

Errhile and Mob of Blondes like this.
  7. Pierzasty

Pierzasty Null-Space Entity

I have a big bunch of spares from the pre-cast arcs times, so I'm set for now.

Cervantes3773 and chromedog like this.
  8. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

That should not be an issue, it was supposedly fixed, if you encounter such issues please report them to CB.

9. kesharq

kesharq Lucky Dice-Roller

with me, there are only a few modells that get a non-Resin Scenic Base (most from AW - Hexa or LandingPad). Exceptions are modells with tiny legs or feet like old Pi-Well, old Dakini or Zondbots where it is nearly impossible to drill a hole in the foot/leg to fix them on a Resin base. So I have a whole box of leftover bases :)

10. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

I do clip underfoot tabs into integral pins, standard.

Failing that, with models like old Aleph Rebots (they literally stand on tips of rather narrow legs) I frill shallow holes in the bases to accomodate that tip, and glue them in. Works so far.

Tristan228, chromedog and Abrilete like this.
  11. Pierzasty

Pierzasty Null-Space Entity

So simple and yet I forgot it can be done. Thanks for reminding me.

chromedog likes this.
  12. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

I did this, too. Also with the PanO bots with their feet ending in pointy "claws". A dab of paint on each foot, press to base. Drill divots into the base where the paint went. Huge increase in the surface area for the bond (instead of a pinpoint bond, the base now 'cups' that point).

Abrilete, Barrogh and Lawson like this.
  13. wes-o-matic

wes-o-matic feeelthy casual

How should we report this? I have an assortment of CB LOF bases and have pulled a couple of examples of inconsistent sockets, but posting photos to the forums doesn't seem like the right way to go about it.

14. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

Please use the same contact details you would use for missing parts.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation