1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Official Announcement] Injected Thermoplastic miniatures

Discussion in 'News' started by Koni, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Koni

Koni BanHammer
    CB Staff

[​IMG]

Today’s a great day for Corvus Belli. We were super eager to make this announcement.! At long last, we are presenting you with Corvus Belli’s first miniature made of injected thermoplastic. No, you did not read this wrong - this is a plastic miniature made in our factory in Bueu (Spain).

We’ve been working with this new material for months, and today we can say that we’re completely satisfied with the final product, which meets all of Corvus Belli’s quality demands. The time has come to share it with you.

[​IMG]

The timing couldn’t be better, as metal prices are reaching historic highs, we simply couldn’t keep stable prices for our entire range of products. You’re all aware of the recent price rises, and we didn’t want to have to increase the price of our products before the year’s end. For that reason, we decided that Infinity’s first plastic miniature would hit the market earlier than originally expected.

We’re talking about Vostok Sputniks, included in the Beyond Operation Crimson Stone box, which will be up for sale in September.

[​IMG]

We can guarantee that it’s an outstanding product. One of the core features that identify us is that we constantly strive for quality, and that’s why we make the best miniatures on the market.

The manufacturing system is identical to that of our metal miniatures regarding the cutting, 3D printing, molding, and filing processes - the only change is that the plastic is injected into the mold, whereas the metal uses a centrifuge.

This change of material has no impact whatsoever in the miniature’s quality and level of detail, which is still top notch. Besides, this type of plastic is a reusable material that meets every safety regulation (EN-71) - free of cadmium, lead, and phthalates.

[​IMG]

From now on, all upcoming Corvus Belli’s miniatures with a sizeable volume and some game complements will be made of this new material, keeping the manufacturing of the game economically viable while preserving its high quality.

Plastic and metal will share the game tables, each providing the best they have to offer.

Here is a list of Corvus Belli’s upcoming miniatures and components made of injected thermoplastic:

• Vostok Sputniks (included in the Beyond Operation Crimson Stone), September release.
    • Jackbots (incluided in ITS Season 13 Tournament Pack and AGL Tournament Pack - Fiddler Edition).
    • 25mm Scenery Bases, Alpha Series, October release
    • Nomads Remotes Pack, November release.
    • Polaris Bearpode (incluided in Ariadna Beast Pack), November release.
    • 40mm Scenery Bases, Alpha Series, November release.
    • 55mm Scenery Bases, Alpha Series, November release.

And, of course, we’ll be delighted to answer any questions you may have in the next Studio Update on August 11.

Yours,

the Corvus Belli team.

Official announcement blog post: https://infinitytheuniverse.com/blog/injected-thermoplastic

wendigo, Golem2God, redeemer and 16 others like this.
  2. Koni

Koni BanHammer
    CB Staff

[Reserved]

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  3. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

Holy guacamole, that's unexpected. Not too sure how I feel about this either, but I'll reserve my judgement for when I've had one of these in my hands. It's probably a welcome change for the bigger sculpts like TAGs and remotes.

Did I get this right and S2 Infantry will remain metal for the foreseeable future?

Also, can we expect already released sculpts to be remade in plastic? (TAGs, Antipodes, Surda beasts etc.)

Golem2God likes this.
  4. Modock

Modock Well-Known Member

This is a big surprise, I hope the quality doesn't suffer. Wish all the best for CB with the new projects and goals.

What CB did is spoiled me with quality of their products, drop in quality will be a bit hard to swallow.

I'll wait to see the minis on the table before I say anything.

#4 Modock, Jul 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    Time Bandit and Pierzasty like this.
  5. Koni

Koni BanHammer
    CB Staff

For your first question, yes, most of the catalogue will remain in metal, and as you read above, big things will be made of the thermoplastic.

About your second question, no, it is not in our plans at least for now.

6. Rizzy

Rizzy Armchair Strategos L3

That came straight outta left field. I dunno how to feel about this. I really like metal minis. Guess I'll have to see how they look once I have one in hand.

7. fatherboxx

fatherboxx Mission control, I'm coming home.

Personally I think thats amazing news, and I finally welcome CB into 21st century (joking, your sculpts rule and CAD-era metal models are okay)

Hopefully it would be at the level of the better plastic wargame companies, not expecting GW quality of course, but if its at the level of current era of SW Legion minis, then everything is fine

LaughinGod likes this.
  8. Abrilete

Abrilete Well-Known Member

i do NOT like plastic.

At least, it is locally produced plastic miniatures, you don't have to wait for them to be delivered from china, so it doesn't affect your production if something like Covid, Evergreen and such things happen again.

xagroth likes this.
  9. Lucian

Lucian Catgirl Nation

So... its plastic glue compatiable?

Rumdog and Pierzasty like this.
  10. LaughinGod

LaughinGod Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Yes, finally! I know it is not hard plastic, but it is a start. Gonna buy everything plastic to support CB moving forward with this plan and make everything in plastic eventually.

11. Koni

Koni BanHammer
    CB Staff

No, you will need to use cyanoacrylate.

12. injenegr

injenegr Well-Known Member

Well, I guess for me it's time to buy some stuff while it's still in metall. Or quit the game.

13. Dragonstriker

Dragonstriker That wizard came from the moon.

It’s PVC. It’s not good news bruh.

14. Koni

Koni BanHammer
    CB Staff

Is not PVC, it is thermoplastic.

15. Skjarr

Skjarr EI Mouthpiece

Very interesting.
    I am happy for this on the larger models certainly.
    I have GW and SW Legion minis and the quality of both is very good so I see no reason why CB minis should suffer.
    Plus plastic is way better for clumsy idiots like myself!

LaughinGod likes this.
  16. LaughinGod

LaughinGod Well-Known Member
    Warcor

C'mon man, most people play with unpainted, primed or poorly painted minis that look like crap. Doesn't matter which material CB uses, those will always look bad on the table.
    And I trust CB can produce better quality PVC ( edit : or whatever material is called ) minis than Chinese companies that do boardgame plastics and just wanna make minis cheap and fast with zero cares about quality.
    So in this matter I have complete faith in CB.

fatherboxx likes this.
  17. Amusedbymuse

Amusedbymuse Well-Known Member

The best solution would be to produce said minis also in metal for those like me who wish to pay more for metal. With this I'm considering quiting the game sadly.

18. Skjarr

Skjarr EI Mouthpiece

That just complicates production I imagine.
    Out of interest, why are some people so opposed to plastic to the point they would consider quitting a game?
    I aren't judging, I don't get it so would like to understand.

19. Pierzasty

Pierzasty Null-Space Entity

This. If it's hard plastic compatible with plastic glue I'm OK with it. If it's more crap like Aristeia/Megadildon stuff, I'll pass.

ed: Ah, so it's the crap kind. Pity.

20. Abrilete

Abrilete Well-Known Member

For me, it is very simple: I prefer the "feeling", the weight of the metal miniatures.
    Also, it helps when you need to bend them a little bit. Or a lot if you want to modify the model to represent a different non-released profile but you don't want the model to look like a clone.

dhellfox, Devil_Tiger, Modock and 2 others like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation