1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Archangeleong's Painting Log: Defiance

Discussion in 'General' started by archangeleong, Mar 21, 2021.

1. archangeleong

archangeleong Deadly Ninja Assassin

INFINITY DEFIANCE: Rahman Rouhani & Gaspar

[​IMG]
    Rahman & Gaspar
    Rahman was my first Haqq mini so I had no army to tie his colours to. I do hope to expand on this faction at some point and thought I would try to paint them with a muted palette based on the new Dune movie costumes (big fan of the novels so excited that Dune may finally get a decent cinematic adaptation). However I decided that he needed more colour to stand out as a game piece so I went back over him and added splashes of orange here and there so to that end. I'm OK with how he turned out but I didn't enjoy doing him so much as his pose was difficult to paint around with his hands obscuring much of his face. Gaspar was more straightforward and fun to do.

[​IMG]

#41 archangeleong, Apr 22, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    Abydog, burlesford, Wizzy and 13 others like this.
  2. archangeleong

INFINITY DEFIANCE: Trishala "Trisha" N33 & Duchess
    [​IMG]
    Trisha & Duchess
    I wasn't sure how I wanted to paint an Aleph army so I stuck with the white and purple so that Trisha would stand out as the purple game piece. There were so many little bags and fiddly hexes to do on this lady. The palbot is cute, but why the kitty mask on top of a kitty?

[​IMG]

Abydog, burlesford, Wizzy and 13 others like this.
  3. archangeleong

INFINITY DEFIANCE: Flight Officer Agnes Ferreira

[​IMG]
    Agnes

I really enjoyed painting this mini. Her official colours match my NA2 mercs army so I was happy to go with them. The hardest part was getting the skin tone right as I tried to do an olive skin tone for a hispanic person. The end result is passable but I think I need more practice.

[​IMG]

#43 archangeleong, Apr 27, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    Abydog, burlesford, Wizzy and 14 others like this.
  4. archangeleong

INFINITY DEFIANCE: Heroes

[​IMG]
    Defiance Heroes
    They are a colourful bunch. It was fun to work on such a diverse bunch of miniatures at the same time. I like how each faction colour reads clearly as a different coloured game piece. I based them all differently to tie them in to the respective armies that I already have of particular factions (and future factions I may collect some day), using bases from Micro Art Studios. I finished them all in about two weeks. I have only really played with the core heroes so far and am very fond of them, especially once fully upgraded since they kick a lot of butt, and I'm up to the stage in the campaign just before they jump into the wormhole. Wish me luck!

Core Heroes
    [​IMG]

Abydog, burlesford, Wizzy and 11 others like this.
  5. archangeleong

INFINITY DEFIANCE: Megalodron

[​IMG]
    Megalodron
    The big bad boss! This guy took a couple of weeks to get done. I probably could have done it quicker but I had reached painting fatigue by the time I started him. It's the first time I worked on a PVC model and I gotta admit it was hard to clean up the mould lines, especially because the model was preassembled. The sheer size of the model ment that I painted it in manageable stages and sections. I did the base last and I'm happy that my colour scheme ended up blending in well with the defiance game board tiles. Even though I was exhausted by the end and I nearly gave up on it, I'm glad I took the time to do the yellow marks on the armour. They tie the model in well with the rest of the army and were actually quite fun to make up myself, drawing influence from the markings on the rest of the army.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Abydog, burlesford, Wizzy and 14 others like this.
  6. archangeleong

INFINITY DEFIANCE : Scenery
    [​IMG]
    Scenery
    I find it a bit hard to get excited about scenery and this was especially so after I had finished all the miniatures from the main Defiance game. What made this part of the project even tougher was my exhaustion after painting so many minis in only a couple of months, plus I managed to get my hands on a new Xbox Series X for the normal retail price and was totally distracted! Nevertheless I chipped away at the scenery over all of April, using fast painting techniques like dry brushing to get everything painted with minimal effort and concentration. All up this epic project was complete in three months and now Defiance is done and dusted for the time being Yay!... Until wave two arrives.

Doors (and corners (fans of The Expanse may get this))
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Consols (Numbered for gaming convenience)
    [​IMG]

Barrels (Red ones go boom don't they?)
    [​IMG]

Corpses (Loot their guts)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sentry Guns (B gun is down to 5% and they're wall to wall in there!)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Taiga Pits (Damn why did I have to concentrate to finish these guys)
    [​IMG]

Abydog, Abrilete, Barsik and 10 others like this.
  7. borisgreymenace

borisgreymenace killer heckler

looks great. hope you enjoy your two month-ish break till the next wave comes through...

8. archangeleong

Thanks. Yeah good to have a break but somehow Varuna slipped into my workflow lol!

9. borisgreymenace

borisgreymenace killer heckler

just means you'll have some of the alt adversaries ready for Outcast!

archangeleong likes this.
  10. Lucian

Lucian Catgirl Nation

Impressive! Did you cut the legs off from base to paint? I'd figure it would be way easier just to cut off and pin him to the base later

11. archangeleong

Nah I just painted around the feet carefully. One trick is to do all your messy painting first (base coat, washing etc), then after that you can paint each different section without making too many mistakes.

redeemer likes this.
  12. redeemer

redeemer Well-Known Member

wow everything looks amazing especially the megalodron

13. ZlaKhon

ZlaKhon New scale enthusiast

Amazing accomplishment! I am currently trying to paint through all of defiance and seeing that someone has already done it (and on a much higher level) really helps me to keep on painting. Many thanks man!

14. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Hey man, quick question: Would you mind if I use your Agnes Ferreira in my model identifier sheets? Since there is no official paint job out there (not even a decent render) and yours is the best-painted I could find, I'd love to put her in for the time being :)

ZlaKhon likes this.
  15. archangeleong

no problem. Happy to share

burlesford likes this.
  16. Spitfire_TheCat

Spitfire_TheCat Feel the Wrath of the Miezi-Bot

Just for sake of "completeness", there _is_ a decent render of her:
    Agnes_Small.jpg
    (I had to scale it down to insert it)

Though I went for the Brigitte-Nielsen-Look with her ....

17. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Thanks! That's an artwork though, not a render, and I decided to only put painted minis in those sheets ;)

18. The_Evergrey_One

The_Evergrey_One Well-Known Member

This has been an amazing project to watch. Thank you so much for sharing. Hopefully I'll get into the painting groove soon myself so my gaming group can enjoy this over the cold and rainy autumn/winter.

19. archangeleong

Thanks bud. It was quite a project to get through. But worth it in the end, especially as I recently just completed the last few missions with a fully painted set. Good luck with painting yours :-)

#59 archangeleong, Jul 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    Croepoek likes this.
  20. LunarSol

LunarSol Well-Known Member

I've been wracking my brain on a color scheme for my Shasvastii. Wanted purple armor, maybe something Halo-ish. Hilariously, I'm sitting here with a pack of that same neon pink grass tuft to go with it, but.... just... couldn't... put the pieces together in my head. The black under armor was totally the missing piece of the puzzle. Fantastic work. Looking forward to my own inferior knock off.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation