1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Targeting deployables

Discussion in 'Rules' started by taxites, Mar 30, 2021.

1. taxites

taxites Well-Known Member

Hey gang,

Quite simply, can deployable equipment be put into the targeted state through hacking or FO? The reference to "trooper" in the targeted text is what's throwing me off.

Many Thanks

2. wes-o-matic

wes-o-matic feeelthy casual

Yes: https://infinitythewiki.com/Place_Deployable

Deployable equipment has a profile and is a valid target for attacks, it’s in the orange Remember box:

wuji likes this.
  3. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

The OP was asking whether they can enter the Targeted state (from FO or Spotlight), not whether they can be the target of attacks.

I think the answer is probably "no, they're not troopers," but I can't remember if it's been answered definitively.

4. RobertShepherd

RobertShepherd Antipodean midwit

Yeah, the language for spotlight is agnostic (just refers to 'targets') but the language for the targeted state itself specifically applies only to troopers. So it seems not.

5. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

Bad wording strikes again!

There's no good reason why they shouldn't be able to be targeted.

6. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Seems to be the same deal as in N3; yes a mine or repeater can be targeted, but the targeted state has no effect on them because they're not troopers making it pointless.

7. wes-o-matic

That’s a really interesting take, that Deployables have profiles and can be targeted as if they were Troopers, RAW, but they can’t be affected as if they were Troopers...because internal consistency is for other games?

Can someone point me to the rules for destroying deployables? They have 1 STR and can be attacked, but both Unconscious and Dead States also have the language that they only affect Troopers. I would have sworn that when a deployable loses its one STR you remove it from the table, but now I can’t find that rule on the Wiki. If Deployables take STR damage and it pushes them Unconscious or Dead, then by the same logic they aren’t affected by those States and can’t be removed from the board with regular attacks in N4 unless the use of “Trooper” in States includes Deployables as pseudo-Troopers.

Hecaton likes this.
  8. Mahtamori

Deployables are removed when destroyed, as per the Place Deployable rules, they never enter Unconscious nor Dead states.

9. wes-o-matic

Yes, but how do you destroy it? I can’t actually find the rule for that, specifically. It’s not in Place Deployable, FastPanda, Dazer, Deployable Repeater, or the Damage section of the rules.

I assume the specific rule you’re referencing is effects bullet #6 of Place Deployable? It just reads:

Which just basically tells us that deployables are persistent until you remove them by force or they detonate, as opposed to things that are removed at end of round or other circumstances.

I genuinely cannot locate the rule that says deployables don’t go Unconscious or Dead the same way other things with STR do, and “is destroyed = enters Dead state” is a reasonable interpretation without a rule saying otherwise.

This seems like an oversight? A single sentence in the Place Deployable rules that reads “Deployable weapons and equipment are destroyed and removed from play when their STR is reduced to 0” would suffice.

10. wes-o-matic

Also it really seems like you ought to be able to Oblivion a DepRep but apparently not?

11. taxites

taxites Well-Known Member

Right?! Its strange that the very equipment used to increase hacking area is itself unhackable.

Anyway, its as I assumed it was, it just doesn't quite read that way. Good times, good times.

Thanks all for the response/feedback!

12. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

When does it become destroyed?

There is no Destroyed State or definition of destroyed in the N4 core rules.

Personally I think it's when it's reduced below 0 STR because that's the requirement for destroying things in ITS. See L&S for instance.

13. Mahtamori

Personally, I think it's when it's reduced to 0 STR because that's the requirement for destroying things in ITS. See Mindwipe for instance. (But the Spanish rules 'cause English ones apparently contains an error in this regard)

14. inane.imp

FFS - ITS has two different definitions of Destroying objectives? I did not know that.

15. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

And this will never be FAQ'd or looked at, despite it being confusing and lacking internal consistency. Good times.

16. inane.imp

Can you link me where this was clarified?

Because Commlog still has the English PDF wording, and (for better or worse) people play using what Commlog says.

17. Mahtamori

I thought it'd been confirmed, but it's not searchable. All I find is the thread of Dejmien reporting it in ITS forums that you've already tagged with a like
    https://forum.corvusbelli.com/threads/mindwipe-destroyed-server.39259/

inane.imp likes this.
  18. inane.imp

Yeah - I clearly forgot about that since it wasn't answered. It's a good question but the general rule is English > Spanish unless FAQ'd.

Which means AFAICT all English instances of destroyed refers to below 0 STR.

19. inane.imp

Yeah - I clearly forgot about that since it wasn't answered. It's a good question but the general rule is English > Spanish unless FAQ'd.

Which means AFAICT all English instances of destroyed refers to below 0 STR.

20. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

[Rules Staff Post]

Yes, they can. From https://infinitythewiki.com/Game_States and repeated on https://infinitythewiki.com/Game_States_List,

‘State’ is a game term for each of the altered conditions, beneficial or not, that a Trooper or game element might find itself in.​

My emphasis. They can be in the State and are affected by the State.

wes-o-matic likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation