1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you been playing Infinity?

Discussion in 'News' started by Triumph, Jan 27, 2021.

?

Have you played Infinity regularly since N4 dropped? At least 1 game every fortnight

1. Yes. In person only

16.4%
  2. Yes. Table Top Simulator or some other online form

11.9%
  3. Yes. A mix of in person and online

16.4%
  4. No. I have been social distancing because of Covid

33.6%
  5. No. I wanted to but personal circumstances (besides Covid) have been getting in the way

8.2%
  6. No. I don't normally play that frequently regardless of a pandemic

13.4%
  1. bkromray

bkromray Active Member

You are entitled to you opinion. I was looking for something more than what I got.

2. pixxle

pixxle Member

2 matches per week actually with a friend.

The fact that everybody nowadays has a template (shotguns) I personally really dont like. Makes defence fusilier kinda link teams so dangerous. And also I dont know what to think about troops (Hi Kriza) with super burst in link teams. If you dont play a link team aro against this burst monsters your lines are getting reduced super quickly. In general because of so many troops now with +1B and link team I didnt play a single vanilla army so far because I think that you only have a chance when you throw burst against burst nowadays (but thats maybe only my feeling about N4)
    Apart from that i really like the cuttings CB made in reducing hacking to relevant programs and other little things making the game easier.

Also I dont like the fact that the japanese lost the ability to be super close combat fighters (burst 2 in CC) . instead CB pushed their range troops to come closer to all other factions in terms of shooting :(

All in all I think I like N4, I wouldnt say more than N3 but I like it.
    Infinity is still my fav game since N4 due to the endless combinations and different game situations (still buy all new minis and have all factions before and after N4 drops :P ) ...and the collection grows and grows (if i only had the time for painting so fast :D)
    .. so yeah, i guess you can call me a infinity fanboy :)

#42 pixxle, Feb 11, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    wuji likes this.
  3. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

From observation the changes and proliferation of Natural Born Warrior has been a bigger issue with causing them grief in close combat over the changes to the Martial Arts.

wuji and chromedog like this.
  4. ldgif

ldgif Well-Known Member
    Warcor

While CC might be slightly tougher for JSA, their ability to get into CC has easily increased 1000%. Not having to declare Dodge (Engage) and 4” dodge movements that don’t generate AROs are some of the best things that have happened for JSA.

wuji likes this.
  5. Triumph

On the other hand core links are basically impossible to reach in CC without berserk.

6. ldgif

ldgif Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I mean Domaru are 6-2” with a 4” dodge. I highly doubt a core team is going to dodge away fast enough to avoid them.

Savnock, Dragonstriker and wuji like this.
  7. Ashtaroth

Ashtaroth Aragoto GP Organizer
    Warcor

An ability that Domaru happen to have.

Savnock, Dragonstriker and wuji like this.
  8. Triumph

Yes, I was thinking more along the lines of JSA's top end assassins, very difficult for them to get close to a core link now to pick people off. Can't even reliably set up smoke anymore.

The Domaru do have the advantage of if they get to their target point and their opponent dodges away they can just go around the corner and start spraying chain rifles and chucking grenades. They don't really have the same risk of spending 3-4 order setting up Shinobu to close in on a target only to have it dodge away and render the attempt useless and a huge waste of orders.

Savnock likes this.
  9. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

I agree that the dodge-engage and crit changes affect things like Oniwaban and Kitsune pretty badly, since they want to jump out of hiding, stick to someone, and then instantly kill them with a monofilament weapon.

But what changed in JSA's smoke throwing?

10. Triumph

N3 Kitsune could layup a smoke grenade in front of her target, then walk in B2B and stay hidden in the smoke. That was how you got her to stab people in link teams by very carefully positioned smoke. Now as you try to get into the smoke everyone can just start trying to dodge away from it.

It makes way more sense thematically for soldiers to back off from the smoke, but mechanically it does make it very hard for Kitsune (or smoke reliant melee units in general) to assassinate anyone with sixth sense.

wuji and toadchild like this.
  11. Commoner1

Commoner1 Well-Known Member

@Topic

I've been playing a game every 1.5 weeks since the pandemic started. Besides a mini tournament in october every game was played over TTS.

To be honest: TTS and N4 disenchanted the game entirely for me. I'm only considering myself to be an active player, because I've got too much spare time on my hands due to the lockdown in my country and being in home office since march.

I haven't spent a single cent on the game for more than a year and I actually sold 3 of my armies over the last months. In conclusion I think that I'm done for good with the game.

12. csjarrat

csjarrat Well-Known Member

We've been in constant lockdown pretty much for a year with a brief respite over last summer. I got one game of infinity n4 in in that period, a couple games of legion and then we were back in lockdown again

13. Pierzasty

Pierzasty Null-Space Entity

Sixth sense is working as intended then.

14. Savnock

Savnock Nerfherder

Had about 14 games of N4, mostly in-person with one friend who is inside my "covid bubble" (workmate, in-person-requiring-job). Fortunately that person is a game designer with a good selection of armies, so we've been able to try out a pretty decent variety of mission/army combos to put the N4 rules through their paces and run into interesting outcomes.

For TTS, I played a small tourney (3 games) and have had a couple pickup games with friends as well, but the interface really killed it for me. My ancient-ass hardware probably does not help. The option of playing on really, really cool virtual terrain might tempt me back into it again though.

Biggest lesson so far: It's been interesting and humbling to notice how many assumptions my regular opponent and I carried from N3 into N4 and never checked, which lead to playing quite a few games incorrectly until the rules were checked closely, usually when they lead to a funky outcome. We had read through the new rules, but the subtleties are really hard to pick up any way but through actual play. The way ARO Dodge in particular affects things is really big, and takes a while for all the implications to come through (as evidenced well by the posts just above this in the thread).

Hacking has been another area where common assumptions in a very-small play group have made for some interesting mid-game discoveries.

When (uh, if) we all get to emerge from our caves and play again, it will be an interesting and probably quite fun experience to find all those uneven bits of knowledge during games and talk through them.

The forums help, as does reading batreps from players who play a lot and talk through the implications of new rules (props to @WiseKensai for great batreps).

But forums also form warped collective opinions through group drift and aggressive argumentation from a few individuals with biased views, like in N3 how they decided that hacking was "terrible" and that KHDs ruled the roost so much that normal HDs were not worth taking. I mainly played Nomads in N3, and hacking was my strong point, often using normal HDs/AHDs only and pwning plenty of KHD-heavy lists. Or that Smart Missiles were not worthwhile... Sat-Lock with Smart Missiles (or grenade launchers, to be fair) was fucking AWESOME, and I absolutely loved using tech to nail Ariadna camo-spam lists.

I do agree that Oblivion and GML lists are nasty in this edition, but counters might also evolve more easily to those things when we all start playing in person and more. Looking forward to finding out.

#54 Savnock, Mar 25, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation