1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Onyx on reative

Discussion in 'Combined Army' started by HardDisk, Jan 9, 2021.

1. HardDisk

HardDisk Well-Known Member

Hi guys, i'm having a lot of problems with Onyx when i not have the first turn, so here i'm looking for knowledge from the hive mind!

Can i see what lists you are tailoring for Onyx? What you're doing when you don't get the first turn? Are you picking the big guys, like the Xeodrons, Nourkias, Umbras, etc? What are your thoughts on the E-Drone now?

2. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

It's rough. I think we're reduced to using hacking and Noctifers for defense in N4. Also the Overdron vs. some of the good MSV attack pieces.

3. HardDisk

And vs Ariadna or lists with only a few hackable units for example? Hacking is not a big defense here...

4. Hecaton

Well I mean there's still the "Ikadron around a blind corner" defense, which is a good idea anyway since they're repeaters.

HardDisk likes this.
  5. smog

smog Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I’m curious, how has Onyx gotten worse in ARO? Between unidrons, noctifers, flash pula bots and good repeater coverage, what’s the problem?

bloodw4ke likes this.
  6. HardDisk

For me, the problem is the lack of midfield and cheap disposable ARO pieces.

And how do you play vs agressive 1° turn lists? Like Fidays, Uxia...

7. Hecaton

Overclock was amazing with Onyx since they have 5 flash pulse bots. Also the loss of Sucker Punch/Maestro means the defensive hacking options aren't as good.

smog likes this.
  8. Aemaru

Aemaru Well-Known Member

1/ Noctifer ML
    2/ drone Flash pulse/ikadron
    3/ Fireteamcore /sniper unidron ou rodok LM
    4/Hacking (malignos)
    5/ grief operator FD 20cm + Strategic use of command token for putting him in suppressive fire
    6/ Q drone

Savnock likes this.
  9. DaRedOne

DaRedOne Morat Warrior Philosopher
    Warcor

None of these will stop a fiday or superior infiltration assassin like an Oniwaban or uxia. And Onyx is still hilariously vulnerable to decapitation strikes.

I don't think there's anything one can do against those models other than castle up and weather the attack.

10. bloodw4ke

bloodw4ke Well-Known Member

N4 allows multiple Nexus in a 'dron link (iirc N3 was just one). I suppose you could hedge like this if you were anticipating an alpha strike?

Screenshot_20210114-075347.png

11. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

What's people's take/opinion on Noctifer LT?

DaRedOne likes this.
  12. Aemaru

Aemaru Well-Known Member

Well the thread title was "onyx in reactive turn " not how to handle fiday or some to infiltrator or one of the best camo infiltrator which is a strengh for a faction... Uxia and TO infiltrator are hard to handle for almost every factions.
    The reactive turn's goal is only to make your opponent loose orders and try not to loose yours.
    And you sometimes can protect your lieutenant by blocking ways with servants for example. HAving 6th sens in fireteam core may help...
    HAndling these threats is more a way to play than a specific tool even if a cheap warband is traditionaly a way to block impersonation.

Willen, bloodw4ke and Savnock like this.
  13. Hecaton

I've historically used it in missions like Decapitation and Hunting Party.

14. Hecaton

Talking about how to defend against those first-turn alpha strikes is an important conversation, whether it's an Impersonator, Superior Infiltrator, Van Zant, whatever.

15. DaRedOne

DaRedOne Morat Warrior Philosopher
    Warcor

Thinking about it, with the new NCO options in Onyx and the constant threat of getting ganked by alpha-strike assassins, I think the Noctifer Lt is worth it even at the SWC tax.

He does solve the problem of getting your expensive lt blown off the table in one round, and is generally well defensable. I think pairing him with an unidron link and a couple NCOs might be a good idea for a defensive game

16. Hecaton

The problem is that you really need SWC to get work done in that faction. There aren't too many solutions to an enemy defensive piece that don't cost SWC.

17. Albatross

Albatross Active Member

Can’t actually play games right now to test it (on account of pandemic), but I noticed Nourkias and the Legates have NCO on their base profile, not a particular loadout.

Could you make an Umbra your Lt and still have it spend the Lt order with NCO, just to confuse your opponent? Might only work once, but good for a laugh.

18. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Yes, that is a possibility. Nourkias and Legates mostly have it so they can use LT orders while in Fireteams, even if LT, but it might be enough to cause some shell games to happen.
    Just be advised that IJW has suggested that spending the LT order through NCO is open information, so your opponent should always know when the Umbra uses NCO and when it uses the raw LT order even if they won't necessarily know who generated the LT order if you're using NCO.

19. Smooth Criminal

If you have a super jump lieutenant you can put him in a hard to reach place and then jump down when you need to do stuff with him.

20. Albatross

Albatross Active Member

That’s kind of the idea. Make an Umbra NCO your Lt, then during the game declare ‘that Umbra is using NCO to spend the lieutenant order.’

Mahtamori and colbrook like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation